ad: l-assoc
ad: l-tentec
ad: l-innov
ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-Waters
ad: l-rl
ad: l-WarrenG

Question 10 meter beacon/Radio Shack Walkie Talkie

Someone just gave me a Radio Shack walkie talkie cb radio.I opened it up to see what channels were in there.There is 14 and 19 on the cb radio.I also noticed there are 4 crystals in there one set for tx and the other for rx.My question for all you electronic geniuses out there.Can I just say buy some 10 meter crystals and make this thing into a 10 meter beacon.The thing is 3 watts plenty of power for that heck turn it down to 1 watt.It also has a power port for 12 volts and a ext antenna.Plus it has three channels.I thing would work great for a beacon.so what do you all think?
    Thanks
    N9PAR

All beacons are CW, not AM.

You'd not only have to crystal it up for an appropriate 10m beacon frequency, but also modify it to work CW.

Quote Originally Posted by WB2WIK View Post
    All beacons are CW, not AM.
    You'd not only have to crystal it up for an appropriate 10m beacon frequency, but also modify it to work CW.
    It would be CW if you bypassed the modulation transformer and broke the A+ line to the driver and PA stage for a keying transistor to go in.. If the osc runs full time there should not be too much chirp.
    Retuning for max output on 10 M should not be too difficult either.
    Last edited by K8JD; 12-21-2009 at 02:38 AM.
    73.....JD, FISTS #3853,cc 455,SKCC # 1395,tribune #12,
    Official US Taxpayer

Quote Originally Posted by K8JD View Post
    It would be CW if you bypassed the modulation transformer and broke the A+ line to the driver and PA stage for a keying transistor to go in.. If the osc runs full time there should not be too much chirp.
    Retuning for max output on 10 M should not be too difficult either.
    Retuning would most likely be required (at least to SOME extent,) but NOT for "max output," per se. If it's a 3 Watt output, that's probably at a 50% or lower duty cycle. In continuous transmit, I wouldn't push it PAST 1 Watt if I wanted any semblance of reliability or lifetime.

Default Cheap 10 Meter Beacons

Quote Originally Posted by N9PAR View Post
    Someone just gave me a Radio Shack walkie talkie cb radio.I opened it up to see what channels were in there.There is 14 and 19 on the cb radio.I also noticed there are 4 crystals in there one set for tx and the other for rx.My question for all you electronic geniuses out there.Can I just say buy some 10 meter crystals and make this thing into a 10 meter beacon.The thing is 3 watts plenty of power for that heck turn it down to 1 watt.It also has a power port for 12 volts and a ext antenna.Plus it has three channels.I thing would work great for a beacon.so what do you all think?
    Thanks
    N9PAR
    A CB Handy Talkie isn't really designed for the long duty cycle that a typical beacon station uses. You could of course add a beefier transmitting FET or final output transistor connected to a heat sink but you would still be placing the remaining circuits under a great deal of more stress than it was originally designed for.

There are several former CB transceivers that have been modified to 10 Meter Beacons however most of them modified the mixing frequency's to pull them up to the bottom of the 10 meter band with the crystals they had at hand and replacing several of the components each year.

If you are looking for a cheap 10 Meter Beacon, you need to also take into account the ID Beacon module that can run 20 dollars on up depending on the capability's you want and need and precise crystals for your location (make sure you don't overlap with a nearby 10M beacon) are not cheap either.

There are a number of fly swatter QRP 10 Meter Beacons, some are even solar powered and connected to a solar collection battery box, however I feel such short range is very limited and has nearly the same overall costs and effort which goes into a 50-60W 10M CW Beacon (100 dollars) that has heavy duty heat sinks and components that are built for such duty.

Question 10 meter beacon from handie rig

Keying an AM carrier without modulation is true CW.......
    And as previously posted there are many converted 11 meter rigs being used for ten meter beacons. I have a listing of what 141 ten meter beacon Ops use for equipment...... I'll be happy to share with anyone that asks. wj5o@amsat.org

I would appreciate an Email also from anyone planning a ten meter propagation beacon...... HF beacon frequencies are coordinated to prevent interference complaints. Ten meters is a worldwide band several years out of each eleven years or so....... and there are three IARU Region HF Beacon Coordinators to minimize this possibility.

I do have conversion information on my page at: http://userpages.troycable.net/~wj5o/

as well as information that should be read before a beacon is activated.
    73 Bill WJ5O/BCN 28.289 MHz

Default Memory keyer for a beacon operation

In response to the above comment about memory keying modules for beacon operation.

The most economical approach is to purchase the Pico Keyer chip and with a handful of common components found in most "junk boxes" a memory keyer can cost less than 10 dollars.
    73 Bill WJ5O/BCN 28.289 MHz

the crystal will be ~$40 if you get a new one.

the odds of finding a suitable one in a pile of crystals are slim to none.

htx-10s sell for $50 - $100

htx-100s sell for $50 - $150

Then you have the $25 yard sale CB with a PLL you can shift.

Don't sell short a QRP beacon on 10M,
    When the band opens up they can be heard thousends of miles !
    73.....JD, FISTS #3853,cc 455,SKCC # 1395,tribune #12,
    Official US Taxpayer