ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-BCInc
ad: l-tentec
ad: l-innov
ad: l-rl
ad: l-Waters
ad: l-AmericanRadio

Default Tune up of a Kenwood TS-530S

Hello, I am trying to get a TS-530S on the air for the first time. It was given to me in unknown condition and has been on a shelf in the garage for the past 7-8 years.

I haven't used a tube transmitter for many years so I'm as suspect as the radio when there are problems.

I have done the first step of the tuning and have adjusted the bias to 60mA using the control on the back of the rig. In the next step, you set the meter to ALC, put the mode switch to Tune and peak the drive control. My meter doesn't move at all. The SG switch on the back is on and I'm using a dummy load. When I put the meter to HV and press the CW key, it is around 900V (I didn't leave it down for long enough to get an accurate result).

Can anyone think of something that beginners would forget or is a common problem at this point?

I hope this radio works because I'd like to use it for straight key night.

Thanks & 73
    Jay

You may need to turn the carrier control a bit, it should be on the same knob set as the mic gain.

73 m/4

I would recommend you ask this question on the Yahoo Kenwood Radio Group set up just for this type of radio, the 520 and 820.

K2WH

Default Tuning the TS530s

First off , you have a very good cw rig there if it has the optional cw filter installed . As for tuning , first set your meter switch to rf . The mode switch in cw . Set your carrier control at about the 9 o'clock position . Set the ox switch to on . use your straight key and key the transmitter . Adjust the drive control for maximum output . Then also adjust the plate and load controls for maximum output . You are now tuned . Adjust the carrier level to whatever wattage output you want . For cw on my 530 , I usually only run it at 20 to 30 watts output . Also when you start transmitting into your antenna , you may have to tweak the drive , plate , and load for max output , but that's about all there is to it . Good luck and I hope to work you on Straight Key Night .
    Randy #( KB5WX )
    FISTS ## #10542
    ARRL VE
    Member of SPAR
    SKCC # 5

Either you are not getting any drive or you have the meter switch in the wrong place. Do you have the manual? If not I have the manual for the 520S, the tuning procedure is the same.
    I'm sorry you don't have the experience or understanding to realize that others possess a skill set that you seem to dismiss as fantastical.

The tune up procedure here is clearer than that in the manual. They do pretty much the same thing, but Ken has a knack for better explanation.

Quote Originally Posted by KB5WX View Post
    First off , you have a very good cw rig there if it has the optional cw filter installed . As for tuning , first set your meter switch to rf . The mode switch in cw . Set your carrier control at about the 9 o'clock position . Set the ox switch to on . use your straight key and key the transmitter . Adjust the drive control for maximum output . Then also adjust the plate and load controls for maximum output . You are now tuned .
    W9IUF, Do not follow this advice, you were doing it the right way per the manual.

73 m/4

Default Hey, AB9LZ...

Wanna tell us what's wrong with this method of tuning an '530?
    Last edited by VE7DQ; 12-13-2009 at 01:50 AM.

Default Tuning the TS530s

Also , if you are using the tune mode to tune ( which is fine by the way ) you may have to turn your carrier level up to see deflection on the meter . The meter should still be set on RF . All the tune mode does is reduce the carrier level for a lower output of wattage . Setting the carrier at 9 o'clock and tuning in cw mode does the exact same thing . I have been tuning my 530 this way for yrs and have never had any problems with it at all . I'm also still running my original tubes . So for doing it "wrong" according to Mark , I also must be doing somthing right . Go figure .
    Randy #( KB5WX )
    FISTS ## #10542
    ARRL VE
    Member of SPAR
    SKCC # 5

Selecting the tune mode over RF, reduces the power by half, and helps lower the stress on the tubes when things are pretty far out of whack, especially when you are doing the initial ALC peak, and plate dip.

For a newcomer that is going to take a little more time finding the right settings, this is the right way of doing it.

73 m/4

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast