Callsign
ad: ezhang-2
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Cheap telescoping antenna mast!!!

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-assoc
ad: l-Waters
ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-rl
ad: l-AmericanRadio
ad: l-BCInc
ad: l-tentec
ad: l-innov

Default Cheap telescoping antenna mast!!!

Ever need a cheap telescoping antenna mast for a UHF or VHF antenna?

Pick up a telescoping aluminum painter's pole at Home depot, Lowes or any hardware store.

Usually 7'-8' tall can extend to 14' or more. Very light weight and sturdy.

Cheap $15-$20

Ease to store and carry.

Use for field day & emergency operations.

N7BBC

Quote Originally Posted by N7BBC View Post
    Ever need a cheap telescoping antenna mast for a UHF or VHF antenna?

Pick up a telescoping aluminum painter's pole at Home depot, Lowes or any hardware store.

Usually 7'-8' tall can extend to 14' or more. Very light weight and sturdy.

Cheap $15-$20

Ease to store and carry.

Use for field day & emergency operations.

N7BBC

I need a temporary antenna for HF on the Mars Frequencies, any suggestions of how to get that up and running. I have a major multi-frequency antenna up, but it's been so cold here that we can't get the connectors on the cables, any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

The telescoping aluminum poles for pool cleaning also work well and are cheap. Many times they are on sale at the end of the pool season. I also pick up several each spring at the curb when folks buy new ones.
    [B]Nobody plans to fail, they simply fail to plan. [/B]

I use a pole like that, which expands to 14-feet tall.

I ziptied a small keychain type caribeaner to the threaded end. My dipoles have a ziptie looped on the end.....to set up the dipole, clip the dipole onto the pole, and extend it up.....of course I pull the ends out to form an inverted vee.

The bottom of the pole has an aluminum 'spike' on the end....this serves two purposes....it fits into a hole on my truck bumper, or it is pushed into the ground. The pole is then fastened to either the truck or family van, the dipole ends are stretched out, and I'm on the air.

Works pretty well.....I worked a station in Hugary, 5000 miles away last weekend.

Robert
    KJ4JFT

my local home depot has telescopic painter poles that extend up to 23 ft.i usually gain added stiffness by limiting extension to 20 ft.

rich k2cpe
    k2 #1102

Default masts

I have used one of those 31 foot expandable fiberglass poles they sell on ebay with good results. Tape a wire fast to it add a bunch of radials and you are good to go.

A recent post on the zed inquired about making use of a damaged 25' golf ball retriever for an antenna. Cool thing was made of telescoped aluminum tubing, so it's the same concept as the painters pole. The ball retriever had plastic bushings (locks?) at each section, but electrical isolation of the sections would only be problematic if the plan was to feed the aluminum as a vertical. Solution? Run a 1/4 wave length of wire up instead. And, just like the painter pole, the golf ball retriever could be used to support an inverted Vee.

I extended my 14' painter's pole (the one with the yellow, threaded plastic end) by purchasing a set of the wood handles with plastic threaded sleeves.

This item is in almost every hardware/home improvement store for about $3.00. There are three 1.5' wood dowls which have the same thread pattern as the pole, and three threaded plastic sleeves. They all screw together.

I often use just one of the wood pieces, to mount a vhf/uhf antenna on, so that I can use regular u bolts and not have electrical contact with the pole. Also, it is conveninet to leave the antenna attached to the dowl. All one has to do is screw it on the end of the pole, attach coax and extend. Bang - you are on the air.

I usually find something to simply tie the pole to with rope, such as a large, heavy trash can, parking lot barrier post, fence post, traffic sign, etc.
    Last edited by K0CMH; 12-23-2009 at 04:32 PM.

Nice idea on extending the poles, and adding a second antenna to it! I may use that!

I have a 12' pole like that witch is used for patio operations on 2m/70cm. I took a 4" junction box cover and bolted an angle bracket on the bottom witch is zip tied to the pole and have 4 19" radials from coathangers on the corners. Then I just put my cheepo MFJ mag mount on it and use a bungie cord to hold the pole to the back of the patio chair. Works great with the HT in one cupholder using a speaker mic and a cold beverage in the other cupholder I can sit around all night shooting the bull on the air. It was very nice when I was in the Houston area and could get on multiple repeaters and a few IRLP/Echolink nets while enjoying the evening out on the patio with the wife and kiddos.
    Kerry
    KE5OFO - Weatherford Ok

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast