ad: l-sarc
ad: l-rl
ad: l-Waters
ad: l-WarrenG
ad: l-innov
ad: l-tentec
ad: l-gcopper

Default STACKING 6 AND 2 METER BEAM ANTENNAS

Here's another question... since a beam antenna radiates horizontally, is it feasible to "stack" one over the other on the same pole thus only needing one rotor? If so, what are the laws governing a successful installation?

-KB3TKQ
    Last edited by KB3TKQ; 11-27-2009 at 09:42 PM.

No problem!

The farther apart the better. However, I have stacked VHF beams as close as a couple of feet apart without any noticeable interaction.

Here are photos of my antennas:

http://k9sth.com/uploads/Antennas_At_K9STH.pdf

The 6-meter yagi is on top because of having to clear the branches of the tree.

Glen, K9STH

That's what I thought. I was considering about 2 feet between them. Nice set up by the way.....

Quote Originally Posted by KB3TKQ View Post
    Here's another question... since a beam antenna radiates horizontally, is it feasible to "stack" one over the other on the same pole thus only needing one rotor? If so, what are the laws governing a successful installation?

-KB3TKQ
    Sure, done all the time, if I understand your question correctly. Also you can stack multiple beams for either band for additional gain and a cleaner pattern using a power divider / phasing harness. Spacing distance depends on boom length.

If so, what are the laws governing a successful installation?

-KB3TKQ
    I do believe the wording is along the lines of staying within "good Engineering practices". Which leaves me to believe that as long as it doesnt look and act like it is a safety hazard either as a fall issue or just overall a a bad design on the install of tower/mast and rotors, then you should be just fine.

I know of no state or local laws that govern how an antenna is to be mounted in regards to amateur equipment. Listen to Glen,(K9STH) he has been around since the day of the Spark transmitters, and can definitely teach us a thing or two!
    If nothing else he does know a thing or two about grounding and other aspects that probably would make some of our toes curl and wish to fall off.
    Last edited by KF6NFW; 11-27-2009 at 09:59 PM. Reason: satisfying the gramatical police!

Both antennas are approx 2.5 feet in length. 6m would be a 2 element, and my 2 meter is 5 elements.

Both antennas are approx 2.5 feet in length. 6m would be a 2 element, and my 2 meter is 5 elements.
    what 6 meter 2 el beam is 2 and half feet long?
    I need to get me one of these, unless it uses the same measuring system my wife does! She thinks that she can cover 3 miles in 15 minutes at 75MPH, I still dont get the same answer she does but it seems to work for her, so I leave it alone!

Diamond A502HB 2 Element beam w/2.5' boom. ........
    Last edited by KB3TKQ; 11-27-2009 at 10:11 PM.

Diamond A502HB 2 Element beam w/2.5' boom.
    so my wifes math does check out, cool deal I will ahve to check into that toy now!

Quote Originally Posted by KF6NFW View Post
    what 6 meter 2 el beam is 2 and half feet long?
    I need to get me one of these, unless it uses the same measuring system my wife does! She thinks that she can cover 3 miles in 15 minutes at 75MPH, I still dont get the same answer she does but it seems to work for her, so I leave it alone!
    http://www.rfparts.com/diamond/a502hb.html, for one. As for, "unless it uses the same measuring system my wife does! ", I best not go there

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast