ad: l-Waters
ad: l-tentec
ad: l-innov
ad: l-AmericanRadio
ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-BCInc
ad: l-rl

Default Yaesu FT-897D lots of static noise

Picked up a two year old 897D from an SK and with no antenna connected and running on battery power or with an antenna connected and running on power supply power, internal or external, I get lots of static just like an am radio in a lightning storm. I thought it might be picking up some static in my shack so I went through the drill of several power supplies, and with the antennna connected and disconnected and even went to portable pack and carried away from electrical equipment and still has static crashes. Did a complete system reset with no change.
    Seems to receive fine but with the static always in the background. It drives the LDG external meter nuts with the static noise. I hooked up a IC-706MKIIG in its place with no antenna and only heard the white noise so it appears to be internal to the 897D.
    Got some clues out there? Bob in Texas

If you have nothing connected, including a ground, and you still hear all kinds of noise, it sounds like there's something wrong with the receiver. But, is the receive preamp on? If so, try turning it off.
    EchoLink, IRLP, Allstar and DSTAR linking - adding interest to repeaters worldwide 24X7

Thanks. I checked the preamp and switched it off with no change. I took off the bottom panel in the powersupply compartment and tapped around with the power on. No change. Used cold spray and went over everything. Slowly the noise went away. Let it sit and got a few more crackless and sprayed in one area trying to pin it down if it was in fact affected by the cold. Static completely quit and radio has been on for a couple of hours with no static. I'll let her stay on overnight to see what the story is later.

That's fairly bizarre - I guess I'd look for the obvious - bad solder joints or a crack in the circuit board.
    EchoLink, IRLP, Allstar and DSTAR linking - adding interest to repeaters worldwide 24X7

Quote Originally Posted by KE5KDT View Post
    Thanks. I checked the preamp and switched it off with no change. I took off the bottom panel in the powersupply compartment and tapped around with the power on. No change. Used cold spray and went over everything. Slowly the noise went away. Let it sit and got a few more crackless and sprayed in one area trying to pin it down if it was in fact affected by the cold. Static completely quit and radio has been on for a couple of hours with no static. I'll let her stay on overnight to see what the story is later.
    There was another thread 2 months ago on an 897 with a noise problem.

http://forums.qrz.com/showthread.php...ht=yaesu+noise

There is no listing of a solution, but you are on the right track. I would suspect that there is an active component that is noisy, rather then a solder joint.

If you are lucky, you may have shocked the component into submission.

But the noise will probably come back when you start transmitting, and the internal heat goes up.

Good luck.

Thanks for the reference to the previous post, I'll check it. I like the "shocked it into submission." Ran the radio for hours and made a contact with Japan and all was working okay. When I heard any static I took the antenna off line and all was quiet. Checked all the bands and all was good and did multiple noise comparisons with other radios to see if any noise was radio specific and none was. I'll give this one some operation each day as I am able and see if anything crops back up. Bob

I checked the referenced post and the problem sounds the same. I dropped him an email to see what he finally did. Bob