ad: l-rl
ad: l-innov
ad: l-AmericanRadio
ad: l-Waters
ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-tentec
ad: l-BCInc

Default Best transceiver for Technician Class

Can anyone recommend a good entry level mobile/base transceiver that covers all the bands available to the technician class including phone on the 10 meter band?

Thanks,

KF5DSI

Kenwood TS-2000..Icom 706Mk2G...IC-7000. FT-857/897.
    The AR15/M16 - Irritating practically everyone since 1960...

No wisecrack intended, but there aren't any transceivers that cover all the Tech bands, since the Tech bands include a great many microwave allocations.

But, those previously mentioned are the current crop of radios that really support the most popular Tech bands, including VHF/UHF and HF.

I don't normally think of the TS-2000 as a mobile rig, but there is a remote control head for it, so you can trunk-mount the main radio. The IC-7000 gets good reviews for its' ability to handle ignition noise, which is a big factor in mobiles.
    EchoLink, IRLP, Allstar and DSTAR linking - adding interest to repeaters worldwide 24X7

Yaesu FT-847.

run about $600 or so now.

Default Thanks for the information

Thanks for the information. I'm still learning. It can get a bit confusing with all of the available options out there. I should have phrased my question better. What I am looking for is a radio that will work the 2,6,70 cm bands and 28.300 - 28.500 MHz on the 10 meter band. These bands are within the Technician band allocations.

Thanks again.

Yaesu 857-D

Good little rig, HF/6/2m/70cm all mode. And when you upgrade, you can still use it..or buy a new one and use this guy mobile.

Ren W3BNY

[B][I]I'm a furry...so what I say doesn't count![/I][/B] :p
    ([url]http://w3bny.blogspot.com/[/url])

Default re: Best transceiver for Technician Class

I second this recommendation. It is a great radio; all mode so you can work FM and SSB, run it mobile or at home, and you won't outgrow it when you get your general and extra.

I've run one mobile for the past 8 months, made contacts from 80m-70cm, local, stateside, and DX, and I haven't found anything that I've asked it to do that it couldn't. A good solid rig!

73 de Dave
    K3DCW

Quote Originally Posted by W3BNY View Post
    Yaesu 857-D

Good little rig, HF/6/2m/70cm all mode. And when you upgrade, you can still use it..or buy a new one and use this guy mobile.

I'd second the FT-857/897 series, or an Icom 706IIG/IC-7000.They're great first radios for several reasons:

1) They're highly versatile - they can operate HF/6m/2m/70cm on FM and SSB - don't forget you can operate simplex on single sideband on 6m/2m! Though the VHF bands are mostly used for repeaters and FM work, SSB VHF contacts are a fun way to enter the world of DXing. (When you decide to learn CW, you can also use them to get on portions of the 80m/40m and 15m CW bands without having to upgrade your ticket!)

2) They're fairly portable - put it in your vehicle, work it as a base station. Going camping? Take along a dry-cell lead acid battery, the radio and a portable antenna and your ready to go.

3) High powered - if you don't absolutely need an HT, these radios allow you that extra "punch" in power when you need it. You'd be hard pressed to find a handheld that can put 50 watts out on 2 meters! (Also note, the FT-897D has an optional battery for backpack operation upto 20 watts)

4) Room to grow - as others have noted, when you decide to upgrade your ham ticket, you don't have to buy another radio. Its all there, ready to go.

5) General coverage receive - all these rigs have full HF general coverage receive, so you can listen in on the amazing world of HF radio - shortwave broadcasts, WWV, DXpeditions and more. Just throw up a wire in your attic/tree and you've got a great listening station! They also are good for listening to fire/police/aircraft radio.

FT-857D

FT-897D

IC-706IIG

IC-7000
    Last edited by KE7HQY; 11-24-2009 at 12:09 AM.

KC0ZZH Guest

I'm gonna vouch for the FT-857D or FT-897D. Great little radios, they do just about everything and are very versatile.

I was happy with my purchase of the Icom IC-718, but if I did it again I would pass and go with a Yaesu, like the FT-857, a little bit more in terms of price, but its also has just a bit more than than the Icom. IC-718 is a base unit and was a solid little rig for me for 2 years before I decided to upgrade to something more (FT-1000MP, used).
    Thanks & 73,
    W6ONV Stephen
    Transmitting from [URL="http://www.the6thfloor.com"][COLOR="Red"]The 6th Floor[/COLOR][/URL]
    [URL="http://www.nccc.cc/"][COLOR="Orange"]Northern California Contest Club[/color][/URL] / [URL="http://www.arrl.org/arrlvec/"]ARRL VE[/URL]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast