Callsign
ad: dxeng
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 84

Thread: TRUCKERS FREQUENCY

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-assoc
ad: l-tentec
ad: l-rl
ad: l-innov
ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-Waters
ad: l-WarrenG
  1. #21

    Default

    I gave an honest and direct answer to the question.

    This is the first I've ever heard there was a "trucker" frequency in the Amateur Service. And frankly it pisses me off. No, not that there's a "trucker" anything - but the idea that certain groups have certain reserved frequencies. What's next - we gonna have Cabbie freqs, Pirate freqs, EmComm freqs, Storm Chaser freqs or other pseudo band plans for different special groups? Great heaping, steaming piles of Male Bovine Excrement!

    We do have band plans due to technical needs and considerations. Even within those segments, hams talk to hams. Being a 'trucker' doesn't call for segregation, assignment, reservation or title of any particular frequency. If you're a ham sitting on the sofa, drive a truck or fly a plane - you use the ham frequencies! Not the sofa, truck or aeronautical "ham" frequencies.

    My thinking is, if you're licensed (as UGS clearly is) you use the ham freqs to talk with hams. That's who we are - that's "our" group. You want to talk to another group, profession or some other segregation of users - you use a cell phone or radio service for that group. Like business band, Part 90 or whatever is appropriate for that group.

    If you're a ham - you're a ham, period. You want to talk to hams on 2m simplex, you use the national call freq to initiate a QSO and you talk with other hams. That's basic info that's covered in every and any license manual, operating guide or 'how to' web site out there.

    If you think I gave an
    Quote Originally Posted by KG6UGS View Post
    oh brother
    worthy answer, I'd strongly suggest it's YOU that has excess shoulder weight and are eligible for a "'tude review".

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Loveland, Colorado
    Posts
    1,070

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KA7O View Post
    This is the first I've ever heard there was a "trucker" frequency in the Amateur Service.
    It's all about the wording. There are lots of different nets on HF, yet I never heard of a frequency referred to as the "boat anchor frequency" just because there is a boat anchor net on that frequency at times.

    As I see it, the poster used poor wording, got an answer he didn't like, then rather then explain the meaning, decided to get snippy.

    So be it, but to your point truckers don't get to choose frequencies as their personal spectrum, or any other group.

    Again, it could have been a simple question. "What frequencies do ham truckers use". Just like "What frequency does the boat anchor net use".

    Learning how to ask a question in a clear manner will avoid confusion.

    When there is confusion, getting snippy with a poster that can't get a clear meaning from the question doesn't help at all.

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Del Rio, Texas
    Posts
    4,210

    Default

    I understood the question the first time and I am not a trucker nor did I doubt the one asking the question was a ham. SIGH.

  4. #24

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by N5YPJ View Post
    ... nor did I doubt the one asking the question was a ham. SIGH.
    Did anyone??

    ::sigh:: is right.

    I'm gonna go poke holes in papers. Then dream of new reloading gear. Gotta get my blood pressure down.

    You all have a great weekend, k?

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Loveland, Colorado
    Posts
    1,070

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by N5YPJ View Post
    I understood the question the first time and I am not a trucker nor did I doubt the one asking the question was a ham. SIGH.
    I didn't doubt that the one asking the question was a ham either. I also don't doubt the FCC enforcement letters to trucking companies about illegal use of 2 meters in their trucks, or the enforcement letters to hams using HF rigs on CB.

    This is not directed at the person that started the thread, but a ham call doesn't prove that the person is a legal eagle. It proves they have a ham call.

    I read way too many posts on this site and others where a "legal eagle" ham, needs some help fixing his "Buddies" CB amp. What do you assume on that?

    At the very least, fixing an illegal amp for your CB buddy, isn't exactly what I would expect from a ham, whether he uses it or not.

    What you "understood", was an assumption. You can read that question either way. You made your assumption, and others made different assumptions. Either way, the question wasn't clear.

    Why is it so hard to learn something from this, about trying to be a bit more clear with a question, rather then turning this into something else.

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Flint, MI
    Posts
    353

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by W0GI View Post
    But this isn't hamtrucker.com, and since the majority here are not truckers, or understand what "trucker frequencies" means, it was poorly worded for qrz.com. If he was indeed looking for a ham trucker audience, maybe this was the wrong site to post.
    So... then all EME topics should be canned from this forum because not everyone is a EME user. How about Handi-Ham questions? The majority of users on QRZ are not Handi-Hams, so they should be excluded also from asking related questions. That's just ridicules. Just because its not a majority related question, does not mean its not relevant to the site. Its a ham forum, and it was a ham related question! Period.

    I have no idea how you feel any of this is putting down truckers? When someone replies to a poorly written question, because they take the question as asking about illegal activity, that is hardly trolling.
    I thought it was 27.185?

    Maybe you can scan the bands and listen for a roger beep.

    28.085. That's the "company channel".


    All examples of stereotyping and trolling for a quick giggle. Its unproductive and unappreciated.

    To go on about how we are putting down truckers, after explaining that the meaning of the original post caused confusion, makes no sense.
    Far as I know - hams on 2m are hams on 2m - whether they're driving a rig, a bug or a segway. That whole idea of a 'truckers' anything belongs to another radio service.

    This insinuates truckers should not be on Ham radio, and if they are, should not refer to themselves as truckers. I.E. Putting down. This kinda talk (much even worse) on this site fairly needs to be addressed with an opposing viewpoint. Trolling period has gotten out of control on QRZ. Its sad really. This use to be a great gem and resource for new hams and such. Now anyone that asks a question gets a page of sarcasm and trolls before they get a real answer. Its not what this hobby is about. Nobody sits back and thinks before they post anymore.
    Last edited by WC5B; 11-20-2009 at 11:21 PM.

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Loveland, Colorado
    Posts
    1,070

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KA7O View Post
    I'm gonna go poke holes in papers. Then dream of new reloading gear. Gotta get my blood pressure down.

    You all have a great weekend, k?
    Here, this should cheer you up.


  8. #28
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Flint, MI
    Posts
    353

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KA7O View Post
    This is the first I've ever heard there was a "trucker" frequency in the Amateur Service. And frankly it pisses me off. No, not that there's a "trucker" anything - but the idea that certain groups have certain reserved frequencies.
    No one ever RESERVED anything. Its a matter of calling frequencies for hams with like interests. County Hunters calling frequencies. Maritime/Boaters Calling frequencies. Regional calling frequencies. RV'ers Calling Frequencies. SSTV Calling frequencies. A group of old farts on 80Meters calling frequencies. AMSAT users calling frequencies. And yes.... Truckers Calling Frequencies. OH THE HUMANITY!!! Just like many many other groups of hams, we have become friends on the air and like to keep up with each other. We have not one.... but TWO common bonds that bring us together as friends. Well... luck of finding were each other are on the bands does not work that well for those Old Farts, just the same as us! Nobody claims ownership of any frequency! (Aside from one individual on some well known 20M frequency, but I digress) Not even the Maritime net does! Its a matter of just picking a spot to sit on and meet up. If that bothers you so bad, I think its maybe the wrong hobby for you, because this hobby is all about its communities. (among other things.)
    Last edited by WC5B; 11-20-2009 at 11:34 PM.

  9. #29
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Flint, MI
    Posts
    353

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by W0GI View Post
    Here, this should cheer you up.
    That could cheer ANYONE up! Well.... those of us on the right side anyways. :P At least we agree on something. HAHA Oh, and I agree with you on a question about fixing a buddies 11M amp. Tar the hell out of that post up, and all day long! Ill be right next to you. But thats not what the guy asked.
    Last edited by WC5B; 11-20-2009 at 11:38 PM.

  10. #30

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WC5B View Post
    Far as I know - hams on 2m are hams on 2m - whether they're driving a rig, a bug or a segway. That whole idea of a 'truckers' anything belongs to another radio service.

    This insinuates truckers should not be on Ham radio, and if they are, should not refer to themselves as truckers.
    See, that's your assumption. Your interpretation. The way most folks read it is with the perspective that a 'rig' is a tractor/trailer combo - special when used in the context of transportation. Not just a radio. That's also why I used "bug" another name for a VW beetle - not just a code key and segway, a personal transporter, not just a conversational transition.

    Truckers drive rigs. It was an inclusive comment on my part. Intended and as written. But if you insist on looking for insult where none was intended - you're gonna find it.


    Nice looking setup there W0GI!! And yes - that does help.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •