ad: l-WarrenG
ad: l-sarc
ad: l-Waters
ad: l-tentec
ad: l-innov
ad: l-rl

Default Dipole Orientation.

Hi all.

I am about to erect a new antenna. Its a dipole for 20mts. Whats the best orientation do members consider for 'general use' for someone who lives in the north west of England. (Between Manchester and Liverpool.)

I shall call the 2 ends of the dipole 'Nose' and 'Tail' ....... Yes I know a dipole has neither as its balanced, but it saves confusion. (imagine its a snake )

So what do you all think is best for me for the 'nose-N-tail' to point. I have 3 options available to me. (due to available supports to string ends to.)

North - South (nose-tail)

NNW - SSE (nt)

WWN - EES (nt)

Many thanks, Nick

Quote Originally Posted by G7GPL View Post
    Hi all.

I am about to erect a new antenna. Its a dipole for 20mts. Whats the best orientation do members consider for 'general use' for someone who lives in the north west of England. (Between Manchester and Liverpool.)

I shall call the 2 ends of the dipole 'Nose' and 'Tail' ....... Yes I know a dipole has neither as its balanced, but it saves confusion. (imagine its a snake )

So what do you all think is best for me for the 'nose-N-tail' to point. I have 3 options available to me. (due to available supports to string ends to.)

North - South (nose-tail)

NNW - SSE (nt)

WWN - EES (nt)

Many thanks, Nick
    Just off hand I would chose your first or second directions listed, to give access to the maximum number of stations. With that said, what is the height of the 20 meter dipole? If the antenna is not at least 1/2 wavelength high then the overall antenna pattern will tend to be more "omnidirectional" with the maximum radiation lobe straight up!

fp
    [FONT=T93Y][COLOR=#0000ff][B]ACFP

[/B][/COLOR]
    [/FONT]

i think your going to have problems with neighbors with a snake in the air!

use all of them! start off in one, then after 6 months move to the next to see how you find new stations etc. or your signal strength working the old

Nick, Unless you elevate your dipole at least 1/4 wavelength above ground, it will exhibit little (or at least multiple lobe) directivity. A dipole is directive broadside to the array. If you want to talk to North America for example, (NW) the wires should run roughly southwest to north east, giving you a NW broadside pattern.
    (I see that I "doubled with AC0FP, who said about the same thing concerning height)
    Tom WA4ILH
    Last edited by WA4ILH; 11-18-2009 at 08:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by AC0FP View Post
    If the antenna is not at least 1/2 wavelength high then the overall antenna pattern will tend to be more "omnidirectional" with the maximum radiation lobe straight up!

fp

........... Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeek.! ........... Do they have 20mts on the space station.

Antenna height will be about 12 mts.

Nick

Quote Originally Posted by K7MHI View Post
    i think your going to have problems with neighbors with a snake in the air!

Its ok.! .............. I live on a nudist colony.

Quote Originally Posted by G7GPL View Post
    So what do you all think is best for me for the 'nose-N-tail' to point.
    To whom/where do you want to make contacts?
    73, Cecil, www.w5dxp.com
    Can CO2 emissions save us from the coming ice age?

Quote Originally Posted by W5DXP View Post
    To whom/where do you want to make contacts?

Well you 'Good ole' American boys seem a friendly bunch of 'renegades' ...... Invariably polite and willing to chat about almost anything. Plus there are thousands of you.

Good enough place to start eh.??

Nick

The wire is, or will be, approximately just under forty feet above ground so that will be sufficient to have some direction on 20 metres. The height to avoid is 3/4 of a wavelength, so the books tell us, I don't know never had an antenna above 25 feet. but you will find you will have more contacts with European stations anyway, because there are more of them, and they're closer.

All this WWN busines has me confused, the best position, assuming you live in Warrington, is to have the tail pointing towards Frodsham and the head towards Bolton. You can then chat with Alberto and Klaus most of the day and Bob in New York when he pops in, and then hope for a goodly supply of sunspots.

G0GQK

Just wanted to ask for some clarification. When discussing height, is that height above land or height to any surface? Meaning if on a roof, do you count the feet above ground or the feet above the roof?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast