ad: l-assoc
ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-WarrenG
ad: l-rl
ad: l-innov
ad: l-Waters
ad: l-tentec

Default Power Limits?

I'm kind of unclear on the rules. I can't find any specification for 2m, so I'm assuming you can use up to 1,500w PEP. 70cm says there are geographical restrictions? Where do I find them, I've been googling for about an hour now and I give up.
    I gots no watts.

Pull out the Part 97 rulebook that you are supposed to have in your shack and look it up. Part 97.313 specifically says:

Quote Originally Posted by FCC Part 97.313
    Part 97 : Sec. 97.313 Transmitter power standards (a) An amateur station must use the minimum transmitter power necessary to carry out the desired communications. (b) No station may transmit with a transmitter power exceeding 1.5 kW PEP.
    (c) No station may transmit with a transmitter power exceeding 200 W PEP on:
    (1) 10.10-10.15 MHz
    (2) The 28.1-28.5 MHz segment when the control operator is a Novice Class operator or a Technician Class operator who has received credit for proficiency in telegraphy in accordance with the international requirements, or
    (3) The 7.050-7.075 MHz segment when the station is within ITU Regions 1 or 3.
    (d) No station may transmit with a transmitter power exceeding 25 W PEP on the VHF 1.25 m band when the control operator is a Novice operator.
    (e) No station may transmit with a transmitter power exceeding 5 W PEP on the UHF 23 cm band when the control operator is a Novice operator.
    (f)No station may transmit with a transmitter power exceeding 50 W PEP on the UHF 70 cm band from an area specified in footnote US7 to Sec. 2.106 of Part 2, unless expressly authorized by the FCC after mutual agreement, on a case-by-case basis, between the District Director of the applicable field facility and the military area frequency coordinator at the applicable military base. An Earth station or telecommand station, however, may transmit on the 435-438 MHz segment with a maximum of 611 W effective radiated power (1 kW equivalent isotropically radiated power) without the authorization otherwise required. The transmitting antenna elevation angle between the lower half-power (-3 dB relative to the peak or antenna bore sight) point and the horizon must always be greater than 10 deg.
    (g) No station may transmit with a transmitter power exceeding 50 W PEP on the 33 cm band from within 241 km of the boundaries of the White Sands Missile Range. Its boundaries are those portions of Texas and New Mexico bounded on the south by latitude 31 deg. 41' North, on the east by longitude 104 deg. 11' West, on the north by latitude 34 deg. 30' North, and on the west by longitude 107 deg. 30' West.
    (h) No station may transmit with a transmitter power exceeding 50 W PEP on the 219-220 MHz segment of the 1.25 m band.

Quote Originally Posted by KB1RRU View Post
    I'm kind of unclear on the rules. I can't find any specification for 2m, so I'm assuming you can use up to 1,500w PEP. 70cm says there are geographical restrictions? Where do I find them, I've been googling for about an hour now and I give up.
    Last edited by KF7AYS; 11-17-2009 at 07:58 PM. Reason: add the actual rules.
    [U]2- Hallicrafters S-20R
    Hallicrafters S-40B
    Hallicrafters SX-71
    [/U]

Quote Originally Posted by KF7AYS View Post
    Pull out the Part 97 rulebook that you are supposed to have in your shack and look it up. Part 97.313 specifically says:
    Unfortunately, you have quoted OLD FCC rules. Technician Class licensees now have the same HF privileges as Novice license holders; it doesn't matter if they have passed a Morse proficiency Element or not.

Novices and Techs ARE limited to 200 Watts on the HF (80, 40, 15, and 10 Meters) bands; Novices are limited to 25 Watts PEP on 222-225 MHz, and 5 Watts on 23 cm . Techs have legal limit (1500 Watts) on all Amateur bands above 30 MHz, meaning 6 Meters and above.

There are some limitations on 70 cm, based on geographical location; and a few other exceptionn on other bands. Check §Part 97.313

Where do I find them, I've been googling for about an hour now and I give up.
    SEE below for your specific state restriction.

Amateur radio is under Part 97 of the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) Rules.
    Here is 1998 version, on FCC web site:
    http://www.fcc.gov/Bureaus/Engineeri...98/47cfr97.pdf

The ARRL tries to keep an on-line copy "up-to-date" with FCC amendments and Rule Making --
    their update version as of February 2007.
    http://www.arrl.org/FandES/field/reg...s/news/part97/

Regarding the usage of the 70 cm (420 - 450 MHz allocation), here is band plan.
    http://www.arrl.org/FandES/field/reg...plan.html#70cm

The ARRL FCC Rule Book outlines the grographical areas of USA (10 specific regions listed)
    that have power restrictions on 70 cm, 33 cm and 23 cm bands. Pages 4-16, 4-17, 4-18.
    These areas are along the Canadian/US border and near DoD, NORAD or AFB operational areas.

50 W PEP output power restriction apply to amateurs operating within circles centered
    on designated military installations in the USA.

Exception exists for earth telecommand stations from 433-438 MHz, for 611 W ERP pointed 10 degrees above horizon ... without prior DoD permission.
    #5 For the state of Massachusetts within a 150 kilometer (100-mile) radius around the locations at Otis AFB, MA (LAT. 41 deg, 45 min N; LONG. 70 deg, 32 min W)

In addition, the Department of Defense (DoD) usage of the PAVE PAWS radar (PPR) system has caused additional restrictions of US 70 cm repeater operations in portions of the USA (e.g. portions of MA).
    ===
    w9gb
    Last edited by W9GB; 11-17-2009 at 09:58 PM. Reason: add MA restriction

Quote Originally Posted by W9GB View Post
    SEE below for your specific state restriction.

Amateur radio is under Part 97 of the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) Rules.
    Here is 1998 version, on FCC web site:
    http://www.fcc.gov/Bureaus/Engineeri...98/47cfr97.pdf

The ARRL tries to keep an on-line copy "up-to-date" with FCC amendments and Rule Making --
    their update version as of February 2007.

Regarding the usage of the 70 cm (420 - 450 MHz allocation), here is band plan.
    http://www.arrl.org/FandES/field/reg...plan.html#70cm

The ARRL FCC Rule Book outlines the grographical areas of USA (10 specific regions listed)
    that have power restrictions on 70 cm, 33 cm and 23 cm bands. Pages 4-16, 4-17, 4-18.
    These areas are along the Canadian/US border and near DoD, NORAD or AFB operational areas.

50 W PEP output power restriction apply to amateurs operating within circles centered
    on designated military installations in the USA.

Exception exists for earth telecommand stations from 433-438 MHz, for 611 W ERP pointed 10 degrees above horizon ... without prior DoD permission.
    #5 For the state of Massachusetts within a 150 kilometer (100-mile) radius around the locations at Otis AFB, MA (LAT. 41 deg, 45 min N; LONG. 70 deg, 32 min W)

In addition, the Department of Defense (DoD) usage of the PAVE PAWS radar (PPR) system has caused additional restrictions of US 70 cm repeater operations in portions of the USA (e.g. portions of MA).
    ===
    w9gb

Thanks Greg.

Also, PAVE-PAWS has wreaked havac on 70 cm repeater operations in Northern (and Central) California. I believe the DoD, ARRL, and many repeater trustees are still negotiating the situation to prevent absolute shutdown of repeaters in that area.

I have found this to be the most current and up to date posting of the Federal Regs which apply to Amateur Radio.

http://ecfr.gpoaccess.gov/cgi/t/text....1.1.6&idno=47

Paul/W6VPS
    President - Shade Tree Mechanics-Rickety Welding & Let the Smoke Out Electronics Co.

Then the FCC needs to update their own website in a more timely fashion as that is where I got the rules from.

Cheers and 73,

Quote Originally Posted by WA9SVD View Post
    Unfortunately, you have quoted OLD FCC rules.
    [U]2- Hallicrafters S-20R
    Hallicrafters S-40B
    Hallicrafters SX-71
    [/U]

Quote Originally Posted by KF7AYS View Post
    Then the FCC needs to update their own website in a more timely fashion as that is where I got the rules from.

Cheers and 73,
    Probably very true. The code requirement for any or all classes of Amateur licenses were eliminated over two years ago. (February, 2007 if I'm correct.) For the latest, greatest copy of §Part 97, the best bet is to get it (ironically) from the ARRL website:

The CURRENT rules state:

§97.313 (a) An Amateur station must use the minimum transmitter power necessary to carry out the desired communications.
    (b) No station may transmit with a tranmsitter power exceeding 1.5 kW PEP
    ( C ) No station may transmit with a power exceeding 200 W PEP:
    (1) On the 10.1-10.15 MHz segment; or
    (2) When the control operator is a Novice Class operator or a Technician Class operator...

NOTE: The above is deemed an error in the rules, and Techs have ALWAYS had maximum legal limit on 6 Meters and above. The 200 Watt limit was intended to apply to the "grandfathering" to Novice privileges on HF (80, 40, 15, and 10 Meters) but not meant to affect the power level allowed Technician Class licensees on the traditional Tech frequencies. A clarification is "in the works," but hasn't had priority with the FCC, apparently not until the next substantive change in §Part 97 comes about.

NOTE: The above is deemed an error in the rules, and Techs have ALWAYS had maximum legal limit on 6 Meters and above. The 200 Watt limit was intended to apply to the "grandfathering" to Novice privileges on HF (80, 40, 15, and 10 Meters)
    I went to look at the rules to prove you wrong, but it looks like you're right! I wasn't aware that they had made that change, and it does sound like it was unintentional with regard to technicians above 50 MHz.

Until somewhere around 1975, the power limit for novices as 75 watts. At that time, the limit was increased to 200 watts. However, they also made another change, that the limitation no longer applied merely to novice licensees. It applied to anyone on the novice bands. Nobody ever did so, but when I was first licensed, it would have been perfectly legal for a general or higher to run 1 kW on the novice bands.

So until a few years ago, when there were dedicated novice (and technician) bands on HF, this limitation remained in effect. Now, the "novice bands" are essentially the same as the bands for general and higher, so it makes sense that general and higher can use full power on those bands, but novice and technician need to use lower power. It looks like that's what the FCC was trying to do, but as you point out, they should have also included that technicians can use full power above 50 MHz, as they've always been allowed to do.

Quote Originally Posted by W0IS View Post
    I went to look at the rules to prove you wrong, but it looks like you're right! I wasn't aware that they had made that change, and it does sound like it was unintentional with regard to technicians above 50 MHz.

Until somewhere around 1975, the power limit for novices as 75 watts. At that time, the limit was increased to 200 watts. However, they also made another change, that the limitation no longer applied merely to novice licensees. It applied to anyone on the novice bands. Nobody ever did so, but when I was first licensed, it would have been perfectly legal for a general or higher to run 1 kW on the novice bands.

So until a few years ago, when there were dedicated novice (and technician) bands on HF, this limitation remained in effect. Now, the "novice bands" are essentially the same as the bands for general and higher, so it makes sense that general and higher can use full power on those bands, but novice and technician need to use lower power. It looks like that's what the FCC was trying to do, but as you point out, they should have also included that technicians can use full power above 50 MHz, as they've always been allowed to do.

Actually, the original Novice Class licensee was limited to 75 Watts INPUT power, (which typically resulted in 40-60 watts output,) and crystal control was required. When synthesized transmitters (or transceivers) became available, the requirement for Xtal control was removed. And originally, the Novice ticket was good for only ONE year, non-renewable. You either had to upgrade after a year, or you were no longer a ham.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast