ad: l-innov
ad: l-Waters
ad: l-WarrenG
ad: l-rl
ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-sarc

Default USB to Serial

Hi All

Got a Dell Vostro A860 notebook and hooked up a USB to Serial cable installed OK and works fine with HRD DM780 and my TS-2000 with HRD however I need another serial port and when I installed a second cable it allocated the same port number as the first one I tried to change the port number in port settings but then I can't do PSK31 or use HRD with my TS-2000.

Help/assistance needed please because I really want to use the TS-2000 with HRD but at same time want to do PSK31 as well

Thanking You.

Andre ZS1IL

A SignaLink USB would do it. Maybe not what you're looking for, but it's one great device.

Also, might try using a second USB to Serial converter from a different manufacturer. Then it will have different drivers.

I have had 2 Belkin USB to Serial converters working simultaneously.

Quote Originally Posted by ZS1IL View Post
    Hi All

Got a Dell Vostro A860 notebook and hooked up a USB to Serial cable installed OK and works fine with HRD DM780 and my TS-2000 with HRD however I need another serial port and when I installed a second cable it allocated the same port number as the first one I tried to change the port number in port settings but then I can't do PSK31 or use HRD with my TS-2000.
    Did you change it in the control panel or in HRD/DM780?

Quote Originally Posted by KB1NXE View Post
    A SignaLink USB would do it. Maybe not what you're looking for, but it's one great device.

Also, might try using a second USB to Serial converter from a different manufacturer. Then it will have different drivers.

I have had 2 Belkin USB to Serial converters working simultaneously.
    Thanks for the info, I used two different USB2SERIAL cables and although the drivers installed OK it keep on allocating it to the same port, and yes I changed it in both HRD and control panel.

73 Andre

It installed it to the same port because it is a generic driver package and doesn't recognize which cable is which. I believe that is your problem. What happens is this, Brand A cable comes with cable drivers and Brand B cable comes with cable drivers and they both happen to be the same drivers. They may be labeled as different but USB drivers for the most part are really the same, no matter what the application.

This wouldn't be a problem when utilizing a desktop with all the USB and serial ports available. I recently used one to hook up Echolink and a Rascal, it didn't need the drivers since they were already installed for another little used program that utilized a USB cable, it did though, assign a different port. That is on a desktop, it won't work right with a laptop from what I have read.

And as far as I am concerned, I would never use a laptop with any ham radio operating program. Desktops have the ability to do so much more. I have heard so many people complaining that something doesn't work and it's usually because of a need for multiple cables and the machine hasn't the ability to perform the way we hope.
    CLYDE
    N1BHH
    A KNOW CODE AMATEUR, since 1970. 900's my new band.
    Except in times of declared emergency, Amateur Radio should be fun! If it's not, you must be doing something wrong!
    I don't answer to "contact."

A USB -> Serial would work if you already have another serial port.

To run PSK with a homebrew interface on the TS-2000 you will need 2 serials. The first port interfaces directly with the rigs serial port for CAT control (freq, power, etc).

The second port will be used for PTT. The TS-2000 has to be keyed via the ACC port in order to accept audio from that port. Keying it from the CAT interface WILL NOT WORK if you are feeding audio through the ACC port.

I have a serial port on my PC, and a USB -> Serial adapter. The CAT is handled via the hard serial port, and the PTT interface is through the adapter.

I feed all my audio through the ACC port, and rx my audio through it as well, but again, in order to send from that port, the radio has to be keyed through that port.

Hope this helps with your quest. If you have any questions on PSK with the TS-2K let me know.

---

EDIT: It would help if I read your initial post. Seems my information relates nothing to your problem. Hope you may be able to use it in the future though.