ad: l-assoc
ad: l-tentec
ad: l-rl
ad: l-Waters
ad: l-WarrenG
ad: l-innov
ad: l-gcopper

Default 2m aprs antenna

Im looking for an small antenna (unity gain?) for aprs use only. Im open for any suggestions, glass, nmo, mag, any mount out there. But dont want another long antenna hanging off the car. Its starting to look like a porcupine already.

Radio's that will be in the car are:
    Alinco 135T
    Yaesu 7800
    Last edited by NS0Y; 11-01-2009 at 03:55 AM.

Well, a quarter wave antenna is about unity gain. That's about 19 or 19.5 inches. A glass mount antenna will give you the worst performance. Anyplace else is a plus.

glassmount, drill a hole or magmount. Those are you choices.

a.m.

Any old 1/4 wave will do. You'll want good seperation from your other antenna if you generally operate on two meters. Even then it is hard to keep one from desensing the other. That is why I switched to the Kenwood TM-D700 - no more interfering with myself.

73 de Joseph Durnal NE3R
    Joseph Durnal - [callsign]NE3R[/callsign] ex N3PAQ
    [URL="http://cryptojoe.blogspot.com"]http://cryptojoe.blogspot.com[/URL]

You should consider your normal driving routes, and determine whether you can hit a digi, or an iGate...depending what you are trying to accomplish with APRS.

Normally, of course, within a large city (assuming there are high-profile digis/iGates around) you could probably get by with 5 watts, with on of those small 1/4 wave rare-earth mag mounts.

But if youre in the boonies, you may need more power/antenna to get the job done.

-Chris
    Christopher Greenhalgh, N8WCT

[url]www.n8wct.com[/url]

Larsen make a nice short dual band antenna. I don't recall the model number though. It's well built and spring loaded. I bought one a few years back for garage clearance. I use it probably about 90% of the time. I only switch to a higher gain antenna for road trips.

Jon KC9AXZ
    73 Jon KC9AXZ
    [url]www.adapterguy.com[/url]

You may want to consider selling the rigs you have and looking for a Kenwood TMD700 or D710. That way, you will only need one antenna for APRS, and the muting of the second receiver is handled for you in advance.

To some extent, your antenna will affect your performance. If you're close to an iGate most of the time, it probably isn't critical at all. If you're operating on the fringes, you may want something bigger.
    EchoLink, IRLP, Allstar and DSTAR linking - adding interest to repeaters worldwide 24X7

Check this out.

Low profile - almost a 'shark fin' type. MSRP $72.00. Does normally require a drilled hole, but they do offer an adapter to use with a 'mini-mag' mount.

note: MSRP is what is listed, but if you poke around, you should be able to get it for less.