Callsign
ad: dxeng

Thread: antenna mount on a 08 jeep liberty??

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-assoc
ad: l-innov
ad: l-sarc
ad: l-WarrenG
ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-rl
ad: l-Waters
ad: l-tentec

Default antenna mount on a 08 jeep liberty??

Where would be a good place to mount a 2 meter antenna. It is my wifes vehicle and she doesnt want a mag mount, so does any one know where to get mounts at and where I could mount it on the vehicle with out wholes or damage to the paint?

I've got an 09 Liberty and have both of my antennas mounted on the top of the rear doors. So far they are holding good. I have a Comet trunk/hatchback mount on one side and a Diamond K400 mount on the other side.
    -W2FCP, Michael White
    USAF, MSgt, Retired
    VFW , IAVA

I'd probably do what I've done on my Toyota Tundra - use a trunk-lip mount on the hood, being very careful to run any cabling far from the truck's cabling and electronics. IF you use this mount, a short antenna - 19" or less - will be shorter than the vehicle - no interference with garage doors or parking ramp ceilings. And a 19" antenna should work well for all local repeaters.

If that's too tough, a trunk-lip mount should work somewhere on the back door, but be very careful to verify that first. I am not fond of using those mounts on doors that get opened and shut a lot - you will eventually cut the coax and most likely when you least want it to happen.
    EchoLink, IRLP, Allstar and DSTAR linking - adding interest to repeaters worldwide 24X7

Default Diamond K515SNMO mount and a Comet SSB-5NMO antenna on Jeep Liberty 2002

I just install Diamond K515SNMO mount and a Comet SSB-5NMO antenna. The mount is attached to the roof rack just above the rear driver's side door. I go the idea from the following link on the storm track website http://www.stormtrack.org/forum/showthread.php?t=21635 . The coax comes with the mount and is very thin and so I run it down and in the through the door. It seems to be working very well. The mount can also swivel down to be parallel with the roof when going into parking garages.

Actually, upon further review, I'd suggest a good thru-the-glass antenna on the rearmost (non-moveable) window on the driver's side. Too bad Radio Shack dropped theirs- they actually work well and are flexible enough to go anywhere. Larsen makes a good dual bander. You will need an SWR bridge to adjust it.

Now, this is not the solution for those doing DXing on 2 meter FM. But it will work great for local repeaters and most other functions.

I will now stand by for all the guys who will swear on-glass antennas don't work.
    EchoLink, IRLP, Allstar and DSTAR linking - adding interest to repeaters worldwide 24X7

Quote Originally Posted by K0RGR View Post
    I'd probably do what I've done on my Toyota Tundra - use a trunk-lip mount on the hood, being very careful to run any cabling far from the truck's cabling and electronics. IF you use this mount, a short antenna - 19" or less - will be shorter than the vehicle - no interference with garage doors or parking ramp ceilings. And a 19" antenna should work well for all local repeaters.

If that's too tough, a trunk-lip mount should work somewhere on the back door, but be very careful to verify that first. I am not fond of using those mounts on doors that get opened and shut a lot - you will eventually cut the coax and most likely when you least want it to happen.
    The only problem with that is the hood is rolled on the lip so the trunk-lip mounts don't work without some modifications. It is about 1/2 inch from the lip to the sidewall of the hood.
    -W2FCP, Michael White
    USAF, MSgt, Retired
    VFW , IAVA

Quote Originally Posted by W2FCP View Post
    The only problem with that is the hood is rolled on the lip so the trunk-lip mounts don't work without some modifications. It is about 1/2 inch from the lip to the sidewall of the hood.
    Looking at the pictures I see what you're saying. For that kind of hood arrangement, you'd probably be better off with an angle bracket bolted to the underside of the lip.

Got the spare tire carrier on the back? You might be able to find a way to mount it to that. Maybe she also wouldn't care if you drilled into that instead of the car body.

Kerry
    WD5ABC
    SKCC #12