Callsign
ad: Rohn-1
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Automatic RF sensing antenna switch / relay for 2mtr and 70cms?

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-assoc
ad: l-tentec
ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-rl
ad: l-sarc
ad: l-innov
ad: l-WarrenG
ad: l-Waters

Default Automatic RF sensing antenna switch / relay for 2mtr and 70cms?

Ladies and Gentlemen,

I have a dual band 2mtr&70cms high gain vertcial mounted quite high off the ground and this is used on my Yaesu FT-897D normally monitoring the 2m FM calling channel which here in the UK is 145.500 called S20

Anyway, I recently have purchased a low powered handheld and my idea is still to use the vertical antenna connected to the 897D monitoring the FM calling channel all the time, but at the same time use the handheld scanning around the 2m band on the same single antenna.

I could simply do this by installing a T piece connector off the coax and connecting to the two radios - however, if I transmit on one of the radios I know it will damage the other.

So what I would like to buy is an RF sensing antenna switch so I can receive off both radios at the same time on the one antenna, and when I transmit on either of the radios it disables the other port and therefore wont damage the other radio.

Anyone point me in the direction of where I can buy such devices for 144mhz and 430mhz and also what is the actual name of the product ?

Many thanks for your help... Simon

The item you're looking for is called a duplexer.

Examples:
    http://www.diamond-ant.jp/ama2/eng_ama_2_7_6.asp
    Last edited by KB3X; 10-24-2009 at 08:10 PM.

Thanks for the reply.

I know what a duplexer is, a duplexer is not what I am looking for.

I am wanting to 'share' on RX one antenna on a single band on two or more radios, ie

1 x 2m vertical antenna

1 x 2mtr multimode
    1x 2mtr handheld

To be able to receive at the same time on both radios - but when I TX on one of the radios it does not damage the other radio.

I guess it is an RF sensing antenna switch set up in reverse, 2 radios off one antenna (same band)

Hi,

Dont duplexer / diplexers have to operate on two different band / freqs for the tx side of things. For example one side passes 2m and the other 70cms ?

I may be wrong but if you wanted to be able to TX on either radio this would not function as they are both 2m sets.

Sam

Simon,

Since both radios will be used on the same band, you cannot use the Diplexer as another posted to you. They are for radios on different bands. An RF switch is fairly easy to build, and involves only a few parts. However, you will need a coax relay that is activated by the RF sensing unit. The RF switch or sensor can be as simple as a single transistor that is biased on via rectified RF from your transmitter which in turn turns on a small DIP relay or a larger relay which will "Key" or turn on the coax relay to route proper rig to the antenna and disconnects the other from the antenna. I would suggest a Google search for a schematic for one. I'm sure there are many different and simple designs.

In other words, RF is sensed, rectified to DC since RF is an AC signal, then turns on a single 2n2222 transistor which in turn allows a simple multi-pole relay DIP or plug in relay to activate which in turn keys the coax relay. However, timing is important and it is important to disconnect the receiving rig before the transmitting rig puts RF into the line. This could damage the other rigs receiver. So it is important the coax relay switches first.

Or a simpler method might be to use 2 different antennas.

Bill
    K2WH
    Last edited by K2WH; 10-24-2009 at 08:40 PM.

Thanks Bill - that is exactly correct and what I am trying to do is buy a device ready made that does this... Any ideas?

Do you want to RX on both radios at the same time as you said in your post ?

The last post would switch from one radio to another would it not ?

I found this item below

http://www.jmsonline.net/SHAKESPEARE...T-2-RADIOS.htm

Sam

Simon,

You are playing with fire!

By the time the RF is sensed, and the relay switched, you will probably damage either the rx of the big rig, or, the tx of the handheld, or both.

Seperate rx and tx setups use what is called a sequencer, to delay the transmission of rf untill the relay is safely switched.

Unfortunatly, there is no way to interface a sequencer to your setup.

Best to stick with 2 antennas.

Rege

EDIT:

On 70cm SSB I use a hf rig driving a Microwave modules Transverter, a mast mounted preamp, and a solid state linear.

When I transmit, the sequence is as follows:

1-Press PTT
    2-Preamp turns off
    3-Changeover relay switches
    4-amplifier keys
    5-hf rig keys, and rf is generated

The steps are seperated by about 50ms

When I let go the PTT, the reverse happens

1-hf rig un-keys, and rf stops
    2-amplifier drops out
    3-changeover relay switches back to rcv
    4-preamp turns on
    Last edited by AI3V; 10-26-2009 at 04:33 PM.
    Now my mistakes travel at the speed of light!:cool:

Your RF sensing switch would have to switch faster than the speed of light.
    You need a switch on top of your PTT that activates before the PTT does.

Default What you need is an electronic T-R switch

These used to be quite common on HF, in spite of the fact that under certain circumstances they could cause TVI . . .

I'duse a receive-only 'scanner" instead of the HT for scanning the band, through some sort of electronic preamp/isolator. I don't know if they're easy to build at 2 metres or not -- probably tricky at best.

Diplexers and duplexers won't work -- duplexers are only good for a pair of frequencies (repeaters) on the same band, and diplexers are for different bands.

Gary WA7KKP

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast