ad: l-WarrenG
ad: l-tentec
ad: l-innov
ad: l-gcopper

Contribute
to QRZ

Default kenwood th-78a open squelch on vhf side

hello,
    i have a kenwood th-78a that has a small problem. the vhf side squelch stays open no matter where the knob is at. the green light stays on and full bars on the meter. there is no sound coming out of the speaker. this is only on the vhf side. i can use the uhf side fine, also can change positions with the 2 and uhf works, vhf wont, right or left side. the vhf will transmit tho. i have searched the internet without finding the problem yet. seen the other common problems but not this one specifically. the c-17 problem usually is on the right side. this problem follows the vhf no matter which side its on.
    thanks in advance
    KV4D

anybody have any ideas?

Check with these guys and see what they know about it.
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/th78a/
    "Oh what a tangled web we weave when first we practice to receive."
    -Otto Watt Sept. 5 1925

Default Repair issues?

I have had Cliff repair one of my Th78a's in the past. Goog work, at a good price....http://www.avvid.com/ Good Luck

I hope this helps.
    http://www.radioamateur.eu/schemi/TH78_user.pdf

Read page 9. There is a key sequence that changes the function of the tuning knob, which I believe changes the function of the squelch knob as well. IF all else fails, reinitialize the rig.
    Steve

If you have to worry about the cost of HF e-mail, you can't afford the boat.

CW: The mode that accomplishes the most with the least circuitry, the least spectrum, and the least power.

What hath God wrought?
    He hath wrought that pounding brass still kicks .- ... ...

Quote Originally Posted by N8CPA View Post
    I hope this helps.
    http://www.radioamateur.eu/schemi/TH78_user.pdf

Read page 9. There is a key sequence that changes the function of the tuning knob, which I believe changes the function of the squelch knob as well. IF all else fails, reinitialize the rig.
    thanks for the ideas guys. still no control tho. it will tx on the left side but the squelch is wide open no matter what i do. factory reset no luck, i done the c17 thing, with no luck either. this must be a problem that is kinda rare cause i have read nothing about it yet.
    i can tx and rx on the right uhf side, tx on the left. no squelch control. i may pull it apart again to see if its the squelch knob??? cold solder joint on the back of the board....maybe??
    thanks again guys
    troy
    BTW i noticed its more like it is receiving a signal on vhf, full scale on meter but no noise. it is quiet with no squelch noise. green rx light is on. no signal to receive tho verified by another ht. even with antenna pulled from th-78
    thanks
    KV4D
    Last edited by KV4D; 11-19-2009 at 02:20 AM. Reason: thought of something

Default TH78E squelch problem

KV4D

I have a TH78E the european version with exactly the same symptoms that yours has. Mine had been unused for about six years - I took it out of the box and it had no sound on VHF, signal indicating maximum, squelch indicator on and squelch control did nothing. UHF side worked fine. I reinitialized, recharged the battery but still faulty. The next day picked up again tried it and it worked okay!!
    This happened two days ago and so far it is still working well on both bands.
    I'm sorry that I can't offer advice but thought my experience could in some way be useful.

G0IWF

Quote Originally Posted by G0IWF View Post
    KV4D

I have a TH78E the european version with exactly the same symptoms that yours has. Mine had been unused for about six years - I took it out of the box and it had no sound on VHF, signal indicating maximum, squelch indicator on and squelch control did nothing. UHF side worked fine. I reinitialized, recharged the battery but still faulty. The next day picked up again tried it and it worked okay!!
    This happened two days ago and so far it is still working well on both bands.
    I'm sorry that I can't offer advice but thought my experience could in some way be useful.

G0IWF
    LOL.... well at least im not alone...i hope yours stays fixed.
    troy
    KV4D

My TH-78E is not fixed. I've tried it each day since the last post to you and after switch-on it has no sound on vhf, squelch indicator on etc. If I leave it on then after say 10 -20 minutes the sound gradually returns, the indicator goes off and the radio functions correctly. If I leave it on then after about an hour the sound goes off, so does the squelch indicator but the signal bar has gone. If I then switch it off and then back on the radio starts the cycle again with no sound, indicator light on etc.
    G0IWF

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by KV4D View Post
    hello,
    i have a kenwood th-78a that has a small problem. the vhf side squelch stays open no matter where the knob is at. the green light stays on and full bars on the meter. there is no sound coming out of the speaker. this is only on the vhf side. i can use the uhf side fine, also can change positions with the 2 and uhf works, vhf wont, right or left side. the vhf will transmit tho. i have searched the internet without finding the problem yet. seen the other common problems but not this one specifically. the c-17 problem usually is on the right side. this problem follows the vhf no matter which side its on.
    thanks in advance
    KV4D
    Hi dear friend, have you founded a solution for the problems with th78E?

dl7ahw

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast