Callsign
ad: SteppIR-1
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: What's the difference between a Yaesu FT-897 and the FT-897D?

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-assoc
ad: l-WarrenG
ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-Waters
ad: l-sarc
ad: l-tentec
ad: l-innov
ad: l-rl

Default What's the difference between a Yaesu FT-897 and the FT-897D?

Can someone tell me or point me to where (URL, etc.) I can find out the differences in design and/or performance between the FT-897 and the FT-897D?

I was sold a used FT-897 (eBay) as being a used FT-897D. Beyond a person standing by their word, I do understand that we are all human and mistakes happen. Hams, I've found, are usually very honest folks.

Can someone please help me out on this query?

Thanks and 73's....

- Dale
    N9KGF
    Monroe, LA

One major difference that I am aware of:

The FT-897D has the high stability reference oscillator installed.
    On the FT-897, it was an option.
    Politicians...Round em up...Drown them all and start over !

Thanks, Bill!

Anyone know of any additional differences?

Thanks again!
    - Dale

Did the 897 plain jane have DSP? I never checked into that, but someone said somewhere that it did not. I had thought it was because of the built-in digital capabilities, but since I don't use that, it made no difference to me.

But don't be fooled!! The FT897D does NOT have the "D" in the name on the front panel. It just says "FT897" So if you are thinking you were cheated, you probably weren't. What you go probably was the "D" model. The manual will tell you it is for the FT897D. I bought mine new, and though it does not say "D" on the nameplate, it IS the "D" model. Yours probably is, too.

As noted, the TCXO is standard on the 897D. I'm not sure the 897 plain covered 60 meters, either.

The plain 897 is no longer manufactured. All of them are "D" models today.

The FT857D, the smaller brother, does NOT have the TCXO as standard. But it does cover 60 meters. And it does do digital.

Good question!

Ed
    Ed, CHOP, W5HTW - Novice 1956, General, 1957, Advanced, 1968, Extra, 1969. Keep the [B][U]amateur[/U][/B] in amateur radio, keep the pros, and Part 90, out of it.

I just checked mine just for the halibut, thinking the serial number tag
    MIGHT be labeled FT-897D.

Neither the front panel, nor the serial number tag indicate the "D" suffix,
    but it IS most certainly a "D" model.

If you didn't get a manual from the previous owner, Yaesu factory
    service should be able to check the serial number to verify that it is a "D"
    (If it is all that important)

Enjoy it !!!
    I do mine !!!
    Last edited by KB3LIX; 10-02-2009 at 02:29 AM.
    Politicians...Round em up...Drown them all and start over !

Quote Originally Posted by N9KGF View Post
    Can someone tell me or point me to where (URL, etc.) I can find out the differences in design and/or performance between the FT-897 and the FT-897D?

I was sold a used FT-897 (eBay) as being a used FT-897D. Beyond a person standing by their word, I do understand that we are all human and mistakes happen. Hams, I've found, are usually very honest folks.

Can someone please help me out on this query?

Thanks and 73's....

- Dale
    N9KGF
    Monroe, LA
    There's only two differences: 897D has the five 60m U.S. channel allocations already included, standard; and the 897D has the TCXO standard, which was originally an option on the 897. No other differences at all.

WB2WIK/6

THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH!!!!!

I AM able to select the 60M band and the preselected channels in this band, so by definition, THE UNIT IS A FT-897D. Please note, as folks here have already said, the FT-897D doesn't say 897D on it anywhere.... I assumed, since Yaesu leaned SO HEAVY on the "D" model, that they would have changed the faceplate or at least the model/serial number label!

Guess hard times have hit Japan too!

My next step was to call Yaesu and have them check the serial number to assure that it was a "D" model.

Thanks again... See another case of a newbie assuming the worst!

Now to take a look more closely at that 60M band!!!!

Thanks, folks!

73's....
    - Dale

N9KGF

You should take the cover off and see if the TXCO-9 is installed. You can find pictures of it via Google. If it's not there, you either got a FT-897(non-D) or a FT-897D that's been cannibalized.

Lightbulb Yaesu FT-897 (Orginal) verses FT-897D(New)

The difference is the original model did not contain 60 meters, a modification is REQUIRED. An FT-897D(New) model has 60 meters built on the channels 1 thru 5 memories. Compared both HF transceivers as i owned the original and have compared while checking out the differences between versions. There are some differences but they are also similarities. Just like the original FT-100 and the FT-100D they appear to be the same except their internal speaker, the original transceiver had an issue where an intermediate swr problem due to the LPU (Low Pass Unit) circuitry that requires calibration but it appears to be repaired in the D version but some other issues appeared in the newer version.
    [B]Keith G. Wucherer, N2OBS
    Echolink Station N2OBS-L
    Echolink Node 99729
    Repeater 146.865 MHz
    Repeater 443.775 MHz 123.0 PL
    Monitoring 145.67 MHz DV
    Summerville, South Carolina
    Ut Totus Alius Deficio[/B]

The FT-897D will only transmit on 60 meters using the 5 memories. You cannot just tune to the 60 meters channels and transmit. The memories are set up to abide by the FCC regs on those frequencies, USB only, 50 watts max.

So if you have those channels in memory and the radio will transmit on them, it is a FT-897D.

With the FT-897, or the -897D, if you tune to those frequencies, set it up for 50 watts, USB, which you would think should work, when you press the PTT the display will read "TX ERROR".

So, this is the easiest way to tell if yours is the FT-897D (or FT-857D), just check for those five 60 m channels in memory.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast