ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-tentec
ad: l-AmericanRadio
ad: l-Waters
ad: l-BCInc
ad: l-innov
ad: l-rl

Default Radio Shack HTX-212 Mars Mod

Is there a mars/cap mod for the RS HTX-212?

Thanks
    Tim Wright AK4MP
    SR. DX DATABASE MANAGER
    ARRL Amateur Extra VE

"We have added your biological and technological distinctiveness to our own. Your culture will adapt to service us. Resistance is futile.
    We are the Dx Helpers."

" We are all like Tea bags- We don't know our own strength until we're in hot water."

Quote Originally Posted by KD4OVM View Post

Thanks
    Google IS our friend you know:

LINK

I can't vouch for the mod, though.

Cortland
    Last edited by KA5S; 09-20-2009 at 12:43 PM.

I would not be a 'cap' mode anymore as they now require certified radios.

and mars mod should be available from the mars co-ordinator you deal with as a mars licensed operator.

your avatar has me thinking about all those who want to use their ham radios for fire dept work..

thats a no -no..

Thanks
    http://www.radiomods.co.nz/radioshackhtx242.html
    [FONT=Arial][COLOR=#0000ff] [/COLOR][/FONT]

All these responses bring up the question about how similar the 212 is to the 242.

Quote Originally Posted by K9YLI View Post
    your avatar has me thinking about all those who want to use their ham radios for fire dept work..

thats a no -no..
    Yep, big fines for that one. Certified radios for most Public Safety frequencies can be had pretty cheaply...
    And now for something completely different...

Thanks
    You might want to try a soft mod first..

http://support.radioshack.com/suppor...oc19/19148.htm

P.S. Can you please show me where you said that you're going to transmit there. I hear the sirens from the Ham Police.
    [FONT=Arial][COLOR=#0000ff] [/COLOR][/FONT]

K9YLI, your avatar has me thinking about all those who want to use their ham radios for fire dept work..thats a no -no..
    I'm no longer on the Fire Department (anyway it is 100% volunteer no chance to violate 97.113 even if I was still a member.) I retired for health reasons. Heart Problems. FYI: My Dad served, I served, my Baby Brother now serves and both of my sons serve the same Volunteer Fire Department.

Quote Originally Posted by KC4RAN View Post
    Yep, big fines for that one. Certified radios for most Public Safety frequencies can be had pretty cheaply...
    Not interested in CAP duties and I have 5 (FIVE) PS Certified radios already and programmed for PS duty.

N7RJ, P.S. Can you please show me where you said that you're going to transmit there. I hear the sirens from the Ham Police.
    You must be hearing things. The HAM police can go blow. I left ARES because of 97.113. I do not work for any PS or private agency, I am often contacted for advice. Spent over 40 years in PS Duty, Paid and volunteer and now I am out of it all.

Next Comment?

I have already checked Google, Yahoo and several other sites.
    Just thought someone might have figured out the mars mod.

Thanks to those who replied w/o comments
    Tim Wright AK4MP
    SR. DX DATABASE MANAGER
    ARRL Amateur Extra VE

"We have added your biological and technological distinctiveness to our own. Your culture will adapt to service us. Resistance is futile.
    We are the Dx Helpers."

" We are all like Tea bags- We don't know our own strength until we're in hot water."

I'm no longer on the Fire Department (anyway it is 100% volunteer no chance to violate 97.113 even if I was still a member.)

You're missing the point. It doesn't matter who you work for, it doesn't matter if you're a volunteer. This isn't about Part 97.

This is about using non-certified radio on Part 90 Public Safety spectrum.

It's not legal to transmit using that radio on FD frequencies. Period. Regardless of your employment status. No, the chief can't "say it's OK". They don't have the authority. It's an FCC thing.

Were you asking for a receive mod or a transmit mod? 99% of the time, when someone asks for a "MARS/CAP" mod, they don't have anything to do with MARS or CAP... they want it to expand the TX range of the radio. In this case, if this is your intention, it isn't legal.
    And now for something completely different...

well touchy touchy.

I would like to see posters who have read a few threads to realize what they are asking..

If you want to do a MARS mod, the only legal reason is to be on mars.

hence you should start your question with """ my MARS call sign is xxxxxxx and I want to mod a certain radio.."""

That would remove any response about legality, which
    is so common on the boards ,as like it w

as stated 99% want to do something illegal.

as for haveing the ham police to ' go blow' , part of my or our response is to educate the unknowing, as some of this is not in the ham rules put in the commercial rules, which new hams have not ventured into.

edit spelling..

and if that attitude of 'ham police go blow' includes ham and commercial RULES go blow', then perhaps you are not suited to being a ham..

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast