ad: l-assoc
ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-rl
ad: l-tentec
ad: l-Waters
ad: l-WarrenG
ad: l-innov

Default TS-930 problems

I have acquired a TS-930SAT (late s/n 503xxxx) with a PIEXX board installed but none of the W6NL mods done (so far as I can detect). While I am waiting for a service manual I ordered yesterday I have one primary question:

What other PLL issues can remain after the PIEXX board is installed? When I turn on the rig and step thru frequency segments with the 1MHz step buttons (which actually shift frequency in 500kHz increments) the receiver is dead on all segments except for 1.0 to 2.5MHz and 14.0 to 19.0MHz. The display does not blank although it will freeze and no other control functions on the front panel seem to work.

Occasionally, when first turned on, I will hear a loud "pop" from the speaker and the LCD display flashes what looks like "PLL (something)" but it happens so quickly that I cannot read all of the display contents. Does the '930 have a "PLL Unlock" warning as part of it's diagnostics?

I am hopeful that the service manual will shed some light on the subject. I have done a thorough search for PLL topics on the web but they all seem to refer to early s/n '930's.

Thanks, in advance!

Default TS930 problems

I had a TS930S many years ago. The main problem with that radio is the thru holes have Steal pins thru them & where they solder on both top and bottom seem to have a lot of bad solder connections. There are two boards that had the problems and it sounds like it is the board in the top, I think it is called the digital board. The best fix is to locate the steal pins and run a wire through the hole from top to bottom and bend over and solder to the board where the pin comes thru. The other board is the power amp board and it had some of the same problems. A great receiver but had more trouble with that radio than any I have ever owned.
    Fred N4WI

The new PIEXX board replaced the old synthesizer board that had the thru-hole problems, so that issue should be gone. I don't know if the thru-hole issue existed on a 5M+ serial number radio but I made no fuss about the PIEXX board :>)

I understand that many of the difficulties with '930 reliability were solved by Kenwood in later versions. The biggest remaining problems were power-supply related and covered nicely in W6NL's mods.

Correct, the W4WI issue with through holes on the digital board -- is addressed when you install the Piexx uP (microprocesor) replacement board.

HOWEVER, you should check the Piexx installation instructions against the actual work that was performed. Pay attention to correct connections to the digital board from the TS-930S cable harness.
    I would recommend cleaning (DeOxit on a Qtip works well) those cable connections (Molex/Amp connectors) to the uP board.
    Corrosion and "loose" connections have been reported by other owners.

The other item that you should check is the voltages from the power supply board, which is the other problem area with this radio.

w9gb

Thanks for the tip on the DeOxit. I'll have to buy some and give that a try. I'd already planned to do the power supply mods to avoid any nasty surprises in the future.

My late S/N '930 had issues with connectors. I used LPS-1 spray cleaner on all the connectors I could get to and the issues went away, and stayed away for 2 years so far...hi hi

Do check the VFO duty cycle, I think it is called, for a 50/50 ratio. Mine needed an adjustment to make the VFO tune more smoothly.

Scrap those noisy metal blade fans and run the largest muffin fan you can fit on the PS & PA heatsinks. The radio will operate nearly cold to the touch after the new fans and the PS mods are done. Gotta be more reliable without all that heat it generated bone stock.

Oh yea, another mod to reduce heat buildup, change the meter lighting to super bright LED's. http://www.we0h.us/Amateur_Radio_stu...gnal_Meter.jpg
    The factory light bulbs ran screamin hot.

Mike
    Last edited by WE0H; 12-28-2009 at 09:37 PM.
    WE0H
    WD2XGI on 2200 & 1750 meters
    WD2XSH/16 on 600 meters
    EN35hj