ad: l-sarc
ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-Waters
ad: l-WarrenG
ad: l-innov
ad: l-tentec
ad: l-rl

Default slash after call sign

Ok so I have researched on line, a few ARRL books I have around as well as some other resources. I am stuck

is there any list of how to use. or all of the uses of slash call sign uses?

I know for canada they have some for what area they are in
    I have seen in USA where people /6/7/8 etc for the area they are mobile in
    I know /p is portable
    /QRP is LP

what are the others, I'm sure I will hear what is "allowed by FCC and ARRL law" but I would also like some replies on common day use as well. For example If I go to Hawaii and bring a radio /P seems rather boring. what do I add in that case?

What if I am away from home somewhere of significance like a storm site for emergency help.

Or what if I am at some significant landmark?

I have seen all these uses on the air in different uses. Is there a list anywhere?

and please I would like best practice as well as common practice answers.

Well, basically, it IS "anything goes," as long as it does not or can not be confused with the designator for any other "official" designator or that assigned to another country.
    For example, the "/140" is currently used to commemorate the anniversary of Hiram Percy Maxim's birthday, and used by the ARRL for a "special event" competition. But anyone else could use "/140" if they wish; there are no other specific limitations. (Common sense, however, should be used when selecting a designator; /B is used for beacon stations, /r is assigned to repeaters, and a better question might be to ask what designators are already commonly in use, aside from those already assigned to foreign countries, to prevent inadvertently using a designator already considered accepted by common practice and poswsibly in violation of FCC regulations.)

I've heard "/mm" (maritime mobile) used quite frequently. Additionally, you may hear US amateurs who have recently upgraded sign with:

/AE (Temporary amateur extra)
    /AG (Temporary general)

...until their new class shows in the FCC database.
    Last edited by N8AAI; 09-09-2009 at 10:56 AM. Reason: spelling error
    [SIZE=1]
    [/SIZE][COLOR=RoyalBlue][B][URL="http://www.utilityworkr.com/forum/forum.php"][/URL][/B][/COLOR]

I was gonna post that /LP is a type of gas because I thought I couldn't resist the temptation to make a joke.........Then I resisted......it was a stupid joke anyway and if it were not somebody would have beat me to it.

I decided to post my struggle because really....I just couldn't resist....I have no control...The humorous replies just jump out of me and must be shared....because I am incapable of resiting.

While there are some (what I consider to be) silly uses of the slash, I find these helpful, if not required:

K7MHI/1 ---- you're in CT - helpful to others to point their antenna
    K7MHI/KH6 - I consider this "required" - a different country
    K7MHI/m --- mobile
    K7MHI/mm - maritime mobile (on the ocean, not lake)
    K7MHI/p ---- indicating portable operation
    F/K7MHI/P -- required when operating in a CEPT country such as France

The slash is a call sign "modifier." It modifies the call sign to fit the operating conditions at the moment. /M means mobile, though it is rarely used except on CW. /6 means portable operating in the 6th call area. /MM means maritime mobile, which means operating OUTSIDE territorial waters. /P means QRP, though I have rarely heard that. I usually hear /QRP.

In other words, if the call sign needs something to explain the special operating of the moment, that is designated by a slash. The FCC did away with the requirement years ago, though, so it really isn't necessary, except in the temporary license authorization, such as /AG or /AE.

International rules, though, still require the /MM for maritime mobile. And /AM for aeronautical mobile. But be aware those designations apply ONLY outside territorial water or air space, and are not valid over any nation. Not against the FCC rules, but they do not conform to ITU rules unless used in in international water or air space.

IN other words the use of /MM while operating on your local lake is not the correct usage. That would be "marine mobile".

Incidentally, if truly operating maritime mobile, you are required by international rules to give your location in latitude and longitude at least once during the communication.

Have fun

Ed
    Ed, CHOP, W5HTW - Novice 1956, General, 1957, Advanced, 1968, Extra, 1969. Keep the [B][U]amateur[/U][/B] in amateur radio, keep the pros, and Part 90, out of it.

You can easily overdo it, however. Years ago, I was mobile in Anchorage on 2 meter SSB, and in those days, anyway, there was quite a crowd on there. I kept ID'ing as 'N6FFstroke KL7'. Eventually, one of the locals said "where else would you be?". I dropped the KL7 bit until I got over the border to the Yukon, where I had to use the /VY1 designator again.
    EchoLink, IRLP, Allstar and DSTAR linking - adding interest to repeaters worldwide 24X7

thanks for the feedback on the matter!

In South Africa, I signed ZS2/N3XP

If you are air mobile can sign as /AM
    Last edited by N3XP; 09-09-2009 at 08:02 PM. Reason: missed number

Talking Portable or mobile

Quote Originally Posted by K7MHI View Post
    . I am stuck

is there any list of how to use. or all of the uses of slash call sign uses?

I know for canada they have some for what area they are in
    I have seen in USA where people /6/7/8 etc for the area they are mobile in
    I know /p is portable
    /QRP is LP
    "allowed by FCC and ARRL law"
    For example If I go to Hawaii and bring a radio /P seems rather boring. what do I add in that case?
    and please I would like best practice as well as common practice answers.
    For portable operation, away from your home location, in US territory, we always (at least for my 48 years of hamming) have used
    the "/" and the number of the geographical area we are in. The use of "/P" is new on the scene, to me.
    If you vacation in Hawaii, use "K7MHI/KH6".
    If I ws operating temporarily in Chicago I am "K8JD/9"
    By-the-way there is no "ARRL law " !!!
    Last edited by K8JD; 09-09-2009 at 08:41 PM.
    73.....JD, FISTS #3853,cc 455,SKCC # 1395,tribune #12,
    Official US Taxpayer

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast