ad: l-WarrenG
ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-Heil
ad: l-Waters
ad: l-tentec

Contribute
to QRZ

Default Ham Radio stores in the Buffalo, NY, area

I'm planning a trip to Buffalo in a couple of weeks and I'm hoping it will give me the opportunity to browse a US ham radio store instead of my usual Canadian fare.

I've tried Google and ARRL's search but I'm not making progress.

I found a couple on Google, but when I used Google street view to check them out, they were clearly operating out of residences, one of which looked like a shack (in the non-radio sense of the word).

Surely there must be a ham radio retail outlet in the Buffalo area.

Does anyone have any suggestions/recommendations please?

David.

Hello David,

I 've lived in Rochester,NY for over 7 years and have not heard of any amateur radio retail places in Buffalo,NY. I have been to Rochester Hamfest for > 10 years and again I don't remember hearing anything about Buffalo at the hamfest. There are none in Rochester but about 5 years ago there was an attempt. The closest thing now is Radio Daze in Victor but they are in the antique radio side of things.

You might want to inquire thru e-mail to the Rochester Amateur Radio Assoc thru our website at www.rochesterham.org for another check.

73, Pete, WB2UAQ

I remember many years ago there was a ham radio retail store right inside Rochester (NY) airport! Golly, that must go back 25+ years ago.

I don't remember the name of the store, and I assume it's no longer there.

The older folks at Harris/RF probably remember it...

WB2WIK/6

When I lived in Toronto, I used to travel across the border to get "good deals" because my dollar went further here (at that time electronics were cheaper to buy in the US) so I travelled to Buffalo on cross border "shopping trips" on a regular basis.

I've been to Hirsh's radio mart, CSV electronics, GLB Electronics and Saia Communications in Buffalo before.

Hirsh's has lots of new and used stuff. Lots of used gear but also carries a lot of widgets too like police scanners etc.. It's located in a residential home district off Main street (Highway 5 - Seaway Trail?)

It's not the same "radiomart" as that ebay guy you need to stay away from, that guy lives in Kentucky.

You can see Hirsh's website here:

http://www.radiomart.com/

CSV electronics store is more like a CB radio shop but he does carry things like high end antenna switches, meters, coax cable etc.. mobile radio electronics , antenna mounting stuff etc... He also sells on Ebay.

GLB electronics is owned by a ham operator (forget his call at the moment) and he primarily deals with repeater part electronics etc.

Saia Communications is the area "Motorola" go to place.

You can google the addresses. Hope that helps.
    Last edited by KC8VWM; 09-06-2009 at 07:51 PM.
    73 de Charles - KC8VWM
    North American QRP CW Club #3159, SKCC# 5752

Default Thanks for all your help

Thanks everyone, for taking the time and trouble to reply to my request.

I'm surprised there are no larger dealers in the region, but now I know for sure exactly who is there.

David.

Come to L.A. instead: We have three HRO stores, and Jun's Hamcity.

We also "used" to have Henry Radio....but they closed up a few years ago (pity).

But then Buffalo has all those great "hot wings."

Default LA or Buffalo? Let me think...

I would love to come to LA. I haven't been there in 20 years.

Unfortunately Google tells me it's a 37 hour drive, while Buffalo is just over an hour.

So I guess it will be a pound of wings instead of a new transceiver.

David.

Quote Originally Posted by VE3MDX View Post
    I would love to come to LA. I haven't been there in 20 years.

Unfortunately Google tells me it's a 37 hour drive, while Buffalo is just over an hour.

So I guess it will be a pound of wings instead of a new transceiver.

David.
    The wings are good.

Hello Charles,

Thanks for the info! These outfits are not talked about much over here in Rochester. I never heard of them. I will forward this info to the RARA hamfest commitee for next year. Maybe they can be persuaded to drive about an hour and a half. Lots of people ask about dealers when they come thru the entrance. Very few have shown up for about the last 5 years. 73, Pete

Quote Originally Posted by WB2UAQ View Post
    Hello Charles,

Thanks for the info! These outfits are not talked about much over here in Rochester. I never heard of them. I will forward this info to the RARA hamfest commitee for next year. Maybe they can be persuaded to drive about an hour and a half. Lots of people ask about dealers when they come thru the entrance. Very few have shown up for about the last 5 years. 73, Pete
    Wow, I remember there used to be a pretty big "Rochester Hamfest" back in the 70s when in lived in NJ, and I drove to it at least twice. It was pretty big...not Dayton, but bigger than most of the "local" fests.

There were definitely "dealers" there, back then. And a lot of good components, probably many from Harris/RF hams who brought lab scraps for sale...but they were very good lab scraps, including high voltage transformers and capacitors, vacuum caps, stuff like that. I used to really enjoy that.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast