ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-assoc
ad: l-innov
ad: l-WarrenG
ad: l-Waters
ad: l-tentec
ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-rl

I need to replace the finals in my old Yaesu FT-101E as there is no output power (the tubes are dark). Does anyone know offhand the full complement of tubes (any drivers and finals) I need and the numbers ? Also, can anyone recommend a source ?

Thanks and 73's - wb2odo
    Larry

Although the tubes may be bad, the heaters ("filaments") seldom are bad on all of them. Have you turned them on by the switch on the front panel?

Glen, K9STH

Yes, heater switch is on. This rig has been idle for about 10 years, so not too surprising that the tubes are bad - may be some other problem but it needs new tubes anyway.

The FT-101E uses a pair of 6JS6C sweep tubes. You DO NOT want those of US manufacture! What you need are those of Japanese manufacture and those are definitely specified by tube sellers. US manufactured tubes often fail within seconds of applying power and most tube sellers will not warranty US made tubes for use in Japanese manufactured rigs.

The driver is a 12BY7 and it doesn't matter where it was made.

Now, tubes do not go bad sitting! If none of the tubes "light up" (the heaters show voltage applied by lighting up), the chances are very great that something else is wrong. You need to verify that the heater voltage is actually present on the tubes. Although not impossible, it is very unlikely that all of the heaters opened up with the rig just sitting there with no AC applied.

Glen, K9STH

just a odd thought as the rig has not been used for 10 years that the plug at the back of the rig has not gone missing

Re Tubes...

You can probably get tubes from the Yaesu USA parts supplier in CA. Check your browser for the Yaesu web site where you can get a telephone number. Talk to their parts department. BE WARNED, have your good credit card ready. The last time I changed tubes, years and years ago, they wanted an arm and a leg.

Another thing to remember is that you not only have to put in new tubes but you will very probably have to reneutralize them as well. So if you are NOT a certified tech I strongly suggest just sending the radio back and let the factory guys do the job for you.

R Arceneaux
    N5LRZ

Before my 101E was stolen I had replaced the tubes. While for the most part true, do not use the USA tubes, but if you are unable to find them any where else, then you will ned to adjust the Bias. I have a the manual, and it tells of the needed mesurments. I used a tube supplier from the QST magazine. I believe they came from the Eimac Co., and they where GE tubes. I did have major problems with them until I Biased them. The pilot light on the back panel came on and it got worse from there. Fortunately I did not damage the tubes.
    I miss my 101E, and frequency display, as well as the Phonbe Patch w/ spkr., it was of the Euro release. But who ever made off with it forgot the power cord, and for those familiar will know that, that is critical. I still have the mobile Mic though.

All the tubes are dark. Hmmm . . .

Is anyone thinking power supply?
    73, Bob
    SPAR ( [url]http://www.spar-hams.org[/url] ) & ARRL

You will do what you want. #All the rest is just talk.

Go to www.qsl.net/nw2m/ft101.html for all the info on the FT 101e..... I've got two of them.... Love 'em !

de
    TexA
    de
    Tex WAĜKZL - FISTS # 8092 - SKCC # 1368C
    Talk is Cheap - REAL HAMS BEEP !

hello there wondered if you checked the heater switch ft101e was my first rig 26 years ago ,then i had a ft901dm for 13 years and never had any trouble with the tubes in any of the rigs ...and today iam using a ft757gx because of the tubes getting hard to get ... lots of good luck 73 de ve3jev

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast