ad: l-innov
ad: l-WarrenG
ad: l-tentec
ad: l-Waters
ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-rl
    141 kennedy drive, Pounding Mill, Va. 24637

Default Kenwood meter lamp

Does anyone know the voltage and wattage of the replacement of the meter bulb for the TS 440? aa1vath@yahoo.com

141 kennedy drive, Pounding Mill, Va. 24637

Does anyone know the voltage and wattage of replacement bulb for meter on a TS 440? aa1vath@yahoo.com

I would join the Kenwood users group and ask over there!

I found a source for my Golddust Twins there, and you would probably be able to do the same!

Are they littlefuse shaped bulbs ? They were once common in foreign cars, although now you can hardly find them anywhere.

Well, hopefully you will find your answer.

73, Jim

Standard 12 to 14 Volt bulbs found in hobby shops (grain of wheat) and at hamfests or eBay by many vendors will likley work.

Kenwood Parts lists this bulb for the TS-440S
    Not sure if this is just the cap or the bulb and cap.
    http://www.kenwoodparts.com/parts/index.php

B30-0817-25 LAMP BLUE CAP - TS-830S TS-440S TS-940S $6.22
    Are they littlefuse shaped bulbs ?
    Festoon lamps (or bulbs) -- very common is instrument panel lighting for automobiles.
    SuperBright LEDs are starting to appear as alternatives!
    http://www.superbrightleds.com/festoon.html

w9gb
    Last edited by W9GB; 08-26-2009 at 04:16 PM.

Radio Shack also sells a similar 12 volt "Mini Lamp" that can be used as replacements. The Radio shack part number is "272-1141". If your local Radio Shack does not have them in stock the store can order them and have them delivered to your house. I ordered a number of them and have used them to replace the dial lamps in my Kenwood TS-820S, VFO-820, and a few Kenwood TR-7400A 2 meter transceivers I have. They are not as bright as the original dial lamps but they do work quite well. They are, as one response stated, the "Grain of wheat" type lamps with 2 1/2 inch red/white leads. The lamp physical size is very close to the original Kenwood lamps size. The Radio Shack lamps in my TS-820 and VFO-820 have continued to work for the last 3 years. The 7400 lamp replacements were just installed a few months ago.

You will have to cut the original lamp wires close to the original burnt out dial lamps and splice the replacement lamp wires. The dial lamps are not mounted in sockets.

Mike W5RKL

Greg, I went to the auto parts store the other day to see if they would have any of those littlefuse lamps.

The only thing they stocked were the larger lamps with the even larger glass cylinders. I told them the lamps I was looking for looked EXACTLY like a littlefuse, and the people in both auto parts stores just shrugged their shoulders, and said, "they quit putting those in cars, YEARS AGO ! "

I couldn't access the site in your post above. Too busy, I guess. And I am not saying that the bulbs in question are the "littlefuse" variety. But I will try to access this page again. It might be an additional or even better source for those lamps. Otherwise, I may be trying to make grain of wheat bulbs work !

P.S. I looked at the "festoon lamps" with the superbright LEDs. NOPE they are the larger lamps that are NOT the same physically as the "littlefuse" lamps.

If I don't get exact replacements, I will be getting out the soldering iron and the 5 minute epoxy !
    Last edited by AG3Y; 08-26-2009 at 04:41 PM.

And you should. I suggest replacing the bulb with a similar sized led and appropriate reisitor for voltage level @ bulb. Besides, that vitage radio might look good with a lighting change.
    "[I]Keep the Amateur in Amateur Radio. Keep the professionals and Part 90 out[/I]." Ed Brooks, W5HTW (SK)

[B][SIZE=3]If you can't make fun of yourself, go sit in the truck :cool: - W5WPL[/SIZE][/B]

The only thing they stocked were the larger lamps with the even larger glass cylinders. I told them the lamps I was looking for looked EXACTLY like a littlefuse, and the people in both auto parts stores just shrugged their shoulders, and said, "they quit putting those in cars, YEARS AGO ! "
    Jim -

Dynaco kits also used the LittleFuse style (size) for their dial lights. Sizes from T1 (3 mm), T1-3/4 (5 mm) up to T3
    I actually found a reliable source at West Marine stores -- I guess some of the boat makers also used them at one time.

Wedge base LED replacements
    http://www.happcontrols.com/pushbuttons/915wb61w.htm

w9gb
    Last edited by W9GB; 08-26-2009 at 07:35 PM.

9. Default

Parts Express has been selling the fuse-type lamps for years. They're available in 6, 8, and 12 volts.

Here's the 6 volt:
    http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=070-118

Pete, wa2cwa

Quote Originally Posted by KI6ZIF View Post
    And you should. I suggest replacing the bulb with a similar sized led and appropriate reisitor for voltage level @ bulb. Besides, that vitage radio might look good with a lighting change.

When the right LED is used the meter light matches the readout light too.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast