ad: l-innov
ad: l-WarrenG
ad: l-rl
ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-tentec
ad: l-Waters
ad: l-sarc

Default 10 meter J-Pole antenna

I'm beginning construction of a 10 meter antenna for installation onto the top of my palm tree. It will end up being about 35 feet above ground level to the tip of the antenna.

I have enough wire to make a 1/2 wave upper section but I am a little stumped on the bottom section. I plan to use 300 ohm twin lead for it. I need to know if simply making a 1/4 wave section using the 300 ohm twin lead, connecting it to the 1/2 wave section above it, and then simply tuning it by finding a resonant point near the bottom of the "J" section is all I need to do.

Is it that simple? I have made a 2 meter J-pole and it was that easy using all 1/2" copper pipe. I guess I just need to know if the 300 ohm twin lead will function as the "J" section.

Thanks and 73's de N7USR Greg

Hello Greq,

The matching system below the the half wave radiator is not exactly a quarter wave long but close to it plus a shorter shorted stub across the coax. The high impedance at the end of the radiator is transformed down to a lower impedance (50 Ohms) about an electrical quarter wave down the 300 ohm ribbon plus some capacitive reactance that you tune out with the short shorted stub. So two things need to be juggled- the tap point down about a quarter wave and then the length of the shorted stub. Basically you adjust for 50 Ohms with some remaining reactance (Z = 50 - jx )that gets tuned-out by the shorted stub (inductive reactance) at the bottom. I think the shorted stub is about 0.015 wave lengths long ( a shorted stub less than 1/4 wavelength is an inductive reactance so X is minus jX. The result is 50-jX+jX resulting in 50 Ohms for a very nice match). It takes a bit of tinkering but the results will be satisfying This is a good learning project to help understand the Smith Chart. When you understand the Smith Chart, you can visualize the whole matching process in your head. 73,
    Pete

Try something like K6AER's, but scaled down for 10M. Here's the link:

http://www.vcars.org/tech/20_Meter_JPole.htm

Good Luck!
    73, Steve, NL7W
    Not in but around Palmer, Alaska

Default Thanks a million !

Hey thanks ! I appreciate the replies.

I'll have a look at them and see if this helps me. I have seen the Smith chart in books and other places but never had anyone help me understand it. I guess now is the time.

73's

Greg

Default I used this link to build one

Sense only the top 1/2 wave does the radiating you can make the matching network out of coax instead of 300ohm, I worked great for me:

http://www.dxzone.com/cgi-bin/dir/jump2.cgi?ID=12593

1/2 wave aluminum tubing is alot easier to deal with than a full length J pole

Have fun N4aeq

Smile

Can you are useful such scheme of the co-ordination?
    This is realized on resounding coaxial "glass".
    The whole this system tunes in in 2 stages:
    1 - At first, tunes in the glass - is simply changed its long. First, it is necessary to take the cable, little longer of design, but afterwards checking on SWR-meter it is necessary to find the minimum. Abbreviating glass - adjust the minimum on necessary frequency.
    Then, similarly, possible select the vibrator long .
    The not bad antenna is got.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    No truths in extremitys... she is somewhere between...

This is how Mike, K6AER built his J-pole. You can easily scale it down for 10 meters.
    http://www.vcars.org/tech/20_Meter_JPole.htm

I am not personally fond of a J-pole. Results are not necessarily repeatable as they are with other type of antennas. I do discuss some of the J-pole myths here:
    http://www.cvarc.org/tech/antenna_my...enna_myths.pdf

Terry, K7FE
    Terry Graves, K7FE
    Chief Editor, QRZ.COM

"Some people call CW a MODE but in
    reality it is an autonomous LANGUAGE."

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by K7FE View Post
    This is how Mike, K6AER built his J-pole. You can easily scale it down for 10 meters...
    Yes!
    This truth. Possible do and so, what has done Mike. I did so, when did such antenna on 2 metres. The more large antenna also possible to do so, but this for 10 metres - an unnecessary consuption metallic tube.
    I did such antenna with cable "glass' on 160 metres - a vibrator was long 246 feets, "glass" - approximately 88.6 feets.
    On 10 metres - a vibrator must be 16.7 feet, "glass" - only 6 feet. 6 feets of the coaxial cable for not bad aligner - a small expenses.
    What see - an antenna is got rather compact, at small consuption material.
    The radiating part - in both variant has alike long - 16.7 feet.
    Last edited by RU9CA; 09-06-2009 at 06:43 PM.
    No truths in extremitys... she is somewhere between...

Quote Originally Posted by RU9CA View Post
    On 10 metres - a vibrator must be 16.7 feet
    That's a sizable vibrator.