Callsign
ad: KU4HP-1
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Where to find component differences ?

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-assoc
ad: l-sarc
ad: l-WarrenG
ad: l-Waters
ad: l-innov
ad: l-rl
ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-tentec

Default Where to find component differences ?

For instance.
    The difference between a 1N4004, 1N4005 or 1N4007 diode.

I have an old tube amp (Dynaco) that had a selenium rectifier. It is common practice to replace it with one of the previous named diodes. What is the difference and where can I find reference material?
    Greg
    [B]W[/B]hiskey [B]Niner[/B] [B]W[/B]hiskey [B]D[/B]elta

SanDiego, People's Republic of California FEMA District 9

Google is a good place to start, I build a folder full of useful links from my google searches. Old databooks are also a very good source. I hold on to them as I come across them.

In the above case the only difference between those diodes is the breakdown voltage.
    Molon Labe SOB!

Quote Originally Posted by KF7CUY View Post
    For instance.
    The difference between a 1N4004, 1N4005 or 1N4007 diode.

I have an old tube amp (Dynaco) that had a selenium rectifier. It is common practice to replace it with one of the previous named diodes. What is the difference and where can I find reference material?
    The datasheets will tell you everything you need to know. Google works on most.
    God bless America

Beautiful Downtown Colorado. (Montrose, SW corner)

One thing to keep in mind. Seleniums are brutes, not easily damaged by peak reverse voltage spikes, silicons may not be so forgiving. So if you expect or measure spikes, be sure you have enuff PIV in the diode (string) rating, use controlled-avalanche diodes (I think most modern ones are, or suppress the spikes.

Probably not a problem, but I like to make trouble. Brightens my day.

TOM K8ERV Montrose Colo

I'm sure your hearts are in the right place, but I come to a radio forum and a homebrewing section to talk with people. I can use the faceless, cold "google" but if you are unclear on something in the answer how do you ask it a question?
    I prefer human interaction.
    Often time when a person answers a question they give more insight than a dictionary definition offered by a computer.

I guess I might have added the line...
    "Please don't tell me to use google."
    ....but thanks just the same
    Greg

Quote Originally Posted by KF7CUY View Post
    I'm sure your hearts are in the right place, but I come to a radio forum and a homebrewing section to talk with people. I can use the faceless, cold "google" but if you are unclear on something in the answer how do you ask it a question?
    I prefer human interaction.
    Often time when a person answers a question they give more insight than a dictionary definition offered by a computer.

I guess I might have added the line...
    "Please don't tell me to use google."
    ....but thanks just the same
    The short answer was already given. The difference between 1N400x rectifiers is their PIV or peak reverse voltage.

The longer answer is that every electronic component had a "data sheet". That sheet outlines the parameters of the device. You can find links to different data sheets from the manufacturers, or the vendors. For example, Jameco sells parts, like the 1N4007. If you go to the Jameco site, and find your part, there is usually a link to a data sheet.

http://www.jameco.com/webapp/wcs/sto...oductId=36012&

Here is a link to the first data sheet listed. It also lists the other 1N400x numbers, since they are all basically the same, except for reverse voltage:

http://www.jameco.com/Jameco/Product...S/36012CSC.pdf

Here is a link to another data sheet they have listed, which is better since it has graphs:

http://www.jameco.com/Jameco/Product...2DIODESINC.pdf

You can get specs on virtually any common type of electronic part this way.

Joe

The 1N4007 is a 1 amp 1000 PIV silicon diode. Those with lower numbers (starting at 1N4001) have PIVs from 50 volts increasing with each higher number until 7 at 1000 PIV.

Frankly, any of the 1N400X series can be replaced with the 1N4007. Also, the 1N4007 is usually the cheapest of the lot. I pay 3.5 cents apiece for them in 100 quantity lots from Mouser ( http://www.mouser.com ) and keep them in one of my parts drawers. There is just no sense in keeping around a lot of lower PIV diodes when the 1N4007 diodes are so cheap and will work in place of hundreds of other diode types.

Glen, K9STH

Many thanks
    Terrific answers
    Greg

Beautiful Downtown Colorado. (Montrose, SW corner)

I have a raft (which is slowly sinking) of URLs for semi data I can zip and send if you want to wade thru them. One if my favorites is www.alldatasheet.com

TOM K8ERV Montrose Colo

Hey thanks, but I've got what I need at this point. I appreciate the thought though.
    Thank you
    Greg

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast