ad: l-assoc
ad: l-WarrenG
ad: l-tentec
ad: l-Waters
ad: l-innov
ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-rl

Default Yaesu FT-60R DC power

I have a question that I haven't been able to find a definitive answer for. If I hook up a DC power supply to my FT-60R, will it charge the battery while the radio is powered on? I'm just concerned about overcharging a battery if it does. I think I've read that I can remove the battery to use on DC, but I don't want to if I don't have to.

Another question related to this, would this power supply work for the FT-60R. I don't see anything about it that wouldn't. I ask because the local walmart has them on clearance for 17 dollars. I thought that maybe taking this, snipping off the female cigarette lighter plug, and adding some powerpoles to use as a home power supply.

Quote Originally Posted by KC9CNI View Post
    I have a question that I haven't been able to find a definitive answer for. If I hook up a DC power supply to my FT-60R, will it charge the battery while the radio is powered on? I'm just concerned about overcharging a battery if it does. I think I've read that I can remove the battery to use on DC, but I don't want to if I don't have to.
    That radio has a regulator and charging circuit built right in, so you can hook it to any 12v supply and leave it hooked up indefinitely.

Another question related to this, would this power supply work for the FT-60R. I don't see anything about it that wouldn't. I ask because the local walmart has them on clearance for 17 dollars. I thought that maybe taking this, snipping off the female cigarette lighter plug, and adding some powerpoles to use as a home power supply.
    Yes, it will work fine. It's probably overkill, but since the regulator is in the HT it doesn't matter. Leave the battery in all the time.

I don't know for sure what the factory supply puts out on the FT-60, but on my FT-50 it was 12v at 100ma, so the 6 amp supply is 60 times larger than my factory supply. (which died in the first year and I yanked the charging cord from it and tossed the rest)

I leave my FT-50R hooked up to my 13.8v 70 amp Astron supply all the time now for 6 years now and it's getting to where it needs a new battery because it will only transmit for about 20 minutes now. I'd say that's excellent battery life.
    73 de N4CR, Phil

Default Don't buy the power supply

Simply put, these power supplies are poorly regulated and have little to no filtering. You will have hum in your recieve audio and transmit audio.

I have three of them - All from a garage sale - not one is suitable for rf use.

In fact, one of them creats so much rf hash that I can us a AM radio to determine which circuit it is on. Scary!

A 12 Volt, 6 Ampere supply that can power a 700 Watt thermoelectric cooler? Man, they just solved the energy crisis!

At one pound, it's obviously a switching supply, meaning it's probably noisy as Haedes. Not familiar with the FT-60R, but if that radio, or any radio contemplated uses a 12 Volt battery the supply will NEVER charge it correctly; you would need approximately 15 Volts to fully charge a 12 Volt battery.

thanks for the comments. To answer the last post, the FT-60R uses 7.2 volt batteries.

You will notice that the FT60R gets pretty hot when connected to a large amperage power supply.

The factory service personnel says this is ok, the unit is designed to run "hot".

However, my personal preference is to put it on a power supply (usually the cig lighter plug in my vehicle) for about 30 minutes to one hour. That fully charges the battery. I then run off the battery until I think it needs another charge.

Also, if you transmit much with a 12 vdc supply attached, the FT60r will get hotter, and REALLY HOT when transmitting at 5 watts that way. Again, the factory service folks say that is OK, but mine has gotten so hot it is uncomfortable to hold. Again, I don't let mine get that hot.

I noticed that it will put out "the full 5 watts" when connected to the external power source, so I have used that in emergency communications dirlls, but only for short periods, when I am having trouble hitting the repeater or simplex station I need to. The rest of the time, it is operating on its own battery, or only getting charged up.

I have the FT-60r and I use a 3 amp ps from rat shack with the yaesu car charging adapter hooked to that with the AA battery case installed as a "filler". Works just great and do not have to use the battery all the time.
    ~73
    Jeff
    KD8HYU[SIZE=1]
    [/SIZE][SIZE=1][URL="http://www.quotationspage.com/quote/495.html"][/URL][/SIZE]