ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-assoc
ad: l-rl
ad: l-tentec
ad: l-WarrenG
ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-Waters
ad: l-innov

I always ragchew. I don't believe I have a single pre-typed macro in memory. Who cares what kind of computer and screen I am using? I see you, you see me. That's what's important !

JMHO 73, Jim

P.S. TUX, have you ever tried SSTV ?
    Last edited by AG3Y; 06-24-2009 at 03:13 PM.

I do find the prepared scripts annoying. Maybe it is because I listen more than I transmit, so, I probably already know what you sent the person you talked to before me if I'm answering. I don't mind knowing about your setup, including the comptuer configurations relevant to your operation, but I'd much rather get that information in some sort of context of a conversation.

I find that the macros/scripts are most prevelant in the PSK31 mode. I don't see them much on RTTY, and other modes.

And yes, SSTV is cool - I use the exact same setup for PSK31/RTTY & SSTV and it works great.

73 de Joseph Durnal NE3R
    Joseph Durnal - [callsign]NE3R[/callsign] ex N3PAQ
    [URL="http://cryptojoe.blogspot.com"]http://cryptojoe.blogspot.com[/URL]

Lightbulb

Hi All,

Sorry to dig this one out, but I intend to try some digital as well, but would need your advise.

I have the Ic 718 and FT 857. No interface.

1. I have 2 pieces of 1:1 600 ohms isolation transformers. Are thy necessary and both on the jack in and the jack out of the pc (RF could use any path I guess)?

2. Does some use ferrite chokes instead (if any use )?

3. I would like as much as possible use the FT 857 and keep the 718 for the days I cannot read . I guess the data connection on the 857 will not allow me any vox and I will need to switch on and off. Is that correct? Is that a pain?

4. Would vox cut part of the message at the beginning?

5. Do you key and send at the same time or do you leave big blanks, type your text and send after?

Sorry if my questions are very moronic

Thanks

Pierre

ps I know using vox on the mic connection of 718 would be easiest, but I like to keep it for ssb as it is connected to the linear.
    more often on the waves on my avatar.....

Quote Originally Posted by K1OIK View Post
    If you hate talking to people and like reading prepared scripts, use PSK
    Yea, this IS a problem.
    But not as big a problem as the Asses here who are not willing to truly help.

Everybody does know they absolutly have to listen to the YOUTUBE guy, after all, anyone who chases feedback on those servers is GOD. Right?
    Has anybody bothered to pull you aside and let you know that comediians don't really have any credibiity?
    May I suggest a Che documentary? That might work?
    You can find me if you need me.

Quote Originally Posted by K1OIK View Post
    If you hate talking to people and like reading prepared scripts, use PSK
    Quote Originally Posted by KC7YPJ View Post
    This is not always the case, I've enjoyed several 30min + psk qso's with stateside
    stations and a couple of hour or longer dx qso spanning several differant modes.

the same as any other mode, the ragchews are there you just have to look for them...
    Before you get too excited about that comment you might want to search for earlier posts from the author and even watch a video or two that he has produced. You will find that he has his own opinions on a wide variety of radio and radio op related topics. Most of which will likely not be in sync with your views.

Quote Originally Posted by XV2PS View Post
    Hi All,

Sorry to dig this one out, but I intend to try some digital as well, but would need your advise.

I have the Ic 718 and FT 857. No interface.

1. I have 2 pieces of 1:1 600 ohms isolation transformers. Are thy necessary and both on the jack in and the jack out of the pc (RF could use any path I guess)?

3. I would like as much as possible use the FT 857 and keep the 718 for the days I cannot read . I guess the data connection on the 857 will not allow me any vox and I will need to switch on and off. Is that correct? Is that a pain?

5. Do you key and send at the same time or do you leave big blanks, type your text and send after?

Sorry if my questions are very moronic

Thanks

Pierre

ps I know using vox on the mic connection of 718 would be easiest, but I like to keep it for ssb as it is connected to the linear.
    I have an FT-817, so I assume it works about the same as your FT-857.

Yes, you can just plug in to the "data" port on the back of the rig. The plug is the same as a computer mouse, so the easiest way to make it is to canibalize an old mouse.

I am using the following interface:

http://members.cox.net/jrehak/DirtSimplePSK.htm

(Note: The colors of the wires in my mouse did not match the colors shown here, so you will have to check those out.)

I used this exact circuit (although I used a slightly different value of resistor, since it happened to be in my junk box) and it works fine for me. I did NOT use any transformers or ferrite beads. There were warnings about possible ground loops without them, but I did not experience any problems. I guess if you have the transformers, you may as well use them, but I didn't find them necessary. With my 5 watts, RFI has been a non-issue, so I didn't use any ferrite beads. Most PSK stations use about 30 watts or less, so chances are you won't have any problems either. You really don't need the extra power, and because of the 100% duty cycle, I would use the lowest power possible. So I wouldn't add the ferrite beads unless there is a specific problem.

As far as I know, it is NOT possible to use VOX while plugged into the data jack, and with the radio set in the Digital mode. I simply use a switch, like the one shown on the link above. I don't find it a big problem. When I'm ready to transmit, I flip the switch, then set the software to transmit, and then start typing.

I think you could route the audio into the rig's mike jack, operate on USB mode, and then use the radio's VOX, but I have never tried this.

You can start typing while the other station is still transmitting, and then this text will be sent when you switch to transmit. If I am calling CQ or something, then I type the text into a Notepad document, and then paste it into the Digipan transmit window.

Normally, I just start typing when I switch to transmit.

Thanks a lot, I have something to start with

Yesterday tried the mike plug of the 718 to route it via transformer to the PC..... well, I thought it was working OK when I found out the real noise route was from the 718's speaker to the normal lap top microphone and it worked

Thanks again

Pierre

Quote Originally Posted by XV2PS View Post

1. you only need to use the isolation transformers if you have trouble. you could either experience buzz (on tx or rx) or RF in the computer, freaking out some component. If you use them, use one on the tx and one on the RX.

2. beads don't solve ground loops. Don't bother.

3. I have an FT-897. I believe it's the same as the 857. My radio has a Digital VOX menu entry. turn that up, and the radio will key automatically when it hears audio on the data port.

4. There's a short space at the beginning of every message that allows the transmitter to key up. VOX won't cut anything off.

5. You type some stuff and hit the send button. The program sends it. Then the other person's message will appear in the top window... you clear the window and send some more text. It's basically just like using an instant message program.

I'm usually typing my response while he's sending his... when he turns it over to me, I press F2 to start sending. I continue typing until i'm done... I usually type just a little faster than the radio sends, so I can keep typing until I'm done. I'll usually use my "over" macro, which says "BTU <his call> KI6ABZ". That macro also stops the transmitter, so he can start sending. Since the other party usually starts responding pretty quickly, I'm assuming most people do something similar.
    Last edited by KI6ABZ; 06-26-2009 at 03:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by KI6ABZ View Post
    1. you only need to use the isolation transformers if you have trouble. you could either experience buzz (on tx or rx) or RF in the computer, freaking out some component. If you use them, use one on the tx and one on the RX.

2. beads don't solve ground loops. Don't bother.

3. I have an FT-897. I believe it's the same as the 857. My radio has a Digital VOX menu entry. turn that up, and the radio will key automatically when it hears audio on the data port.

4. There's a short space at the beginning of every message that allows the transmitter to key up. VOX won't cut anything off.

5. You type some stuff and hit the send button. The program sends it. Then the other person's message will appear in the top window... you clear the window and send some more text. It's basically just like using an instant message program.

I'm usually typing my response while he's sending his... when he turns it over to me, I press F2 to start sending. I continue typing until i'm done... I usually type just a little faster than the radio sends, so I can keep typing until I'm done. I'll usually use my "over" macro, which says "BTU <his call> KI6ABZ". That macro also stops the transmitter, so he can start sending. Since the other party usually starts responding pretty quickly, I'm assuming most people do something similar.
    Thanks a lot.
    Interesting that data vox!

I am now digging everywhere to get an old mouse. My secretary is off today, she may find her computer short of something

Thanks! I guess I'll actually have to read the instructions for my 817 and see if it also has such a thing! Of course, I've grown accustomed to flipping the big switch, which turns out not to be a big deal.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast