ad: l-tentec
ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-WarrenG
ad: l-sarc
ad: l-innov
ad: l-rl
ad: l-Waters

Default 10 meter band openings

I am very new to working 10 meters. In fact, I just got my antenna up in the air yesterday. I've been able to listen to 10 meters using a modified CB antenna, but I just couldn't get out. Anyway, I am having quite a bit of fun with 10 meters. It's almost a game of "get in as quickly as you can". It seems the band will open up for a bit, but not knowing how long it will stay open for adds an urgency to make as many contacts as possible. I like this game!
    ECHOLINK NODE#401099

Pretty much the essense of 10 meters for a bit yet - last weekend was an opening between my part of CA and both AZ and ID.

Now would be a good time to build gain antennas for 10 meters if you have the room for them - a Lazy H or the Double Extended Zepp [which is a lazy H with 0.62 wavelength legs] for 10 is pretty compact and will give you a lot of gain for the cost of wire and insulators.

The Late Mr. Cebik had a good design for a broad band 10 meter beam in last years QST - it's on a 6' long main beam so it's quite compact.

10 is one of my favorite bands... well, probably THE fave. Easy to use mod'd CB antennas, and a hoot doing 10m mobile when conditions are good. I once worked a Russian over the pole (article wobble was real bad) on 10m SSB from my mobile (Yaesu FT100, about 80 watts and an ATAS100 antenna).

I've also had an HR2510 Uniden that was a blast, using a "HAM 10" antenna, which was basically a K40 with different lettering and a shorter whip (K40 doesn't make them anymore).

And don't forget 10 FM... and the repeaters... oh yeah, 10m is a world in it's own right!

10 meters is a lot of fun when it opens. when i first got my ticket in 87 i was working 10 with a hw-101 and an avanti sigma 5/8 ground plane cb antenna.
    the only mod to the antenna was loosening the hose clamps and sliding the tubing sections a little closer. worked great.
    Ding dong the Rag chews dead.
    Glad to see the huge sigs gone

I love 10 meters also. I use an I-MAX 2000 for the antenna. That thing gets out like a bandit.

From my area in PA, 10 has been open mostly to the south. Fla, La, Ga, TN, NC, SC...etc..and a few to the north in New England and Canada.

Today is was open to the midwest. Ind, Ill, Minn...even heard a little Texas in there.

Now I wish 12 meters would open up and get some use.
    David - K3DAV

6 meters was open tonight into the midwest from the Northeast. I could copy a 6M repeater on 53.73 on my J-pole and at times I could copy it on my scanner on the rubber duckie. Lots of rythmic QSB though..

Oh and those that have 6M I monitor the 52.91 repeater. -1.7m 88.5 tone.

Nice to know that you're enjoying ten metres, the pity is that it won't last for long so enjoy it while its available. If we are fortunate at some time in the future the band will open up properly and it will be jammed with hams from one end to the other talking to hams in Europe, South America and Asia,

G0GQK

i was by a rig today. heard some cw beacons but didnt get to make any contacts. it was like no one was there but the robots

10 meters is open everyday here at the end of the afternoon, with Europe and South America, as well as 12, as well as 15, as well as 17.

I'm having a lot of fun mobile, the high Sierra is getting a workout
    I believe every problem has a solution.
    Hence, if there's no solution, there's no problem.

----------------------------------------------

God is our creation, not our creator.

73 de HI8/VE2NSM

Montréal, FN35gm

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast