ad: l-assoc
ad: l-innov
ad: l-Waters
ad: l-tentec
ad: l-rl
ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-WarrenG

Default Ameritron Amplifier meter lamps

The meter lamps in some Ameritron amplifiers blow out quite often, I decided to install some LEDs insted. It works out pretty good using Radio shack P/N 276-0017 ,5mm 7000mcd LEDs. It looks a lot better than the original bulbs ,and hopefully will last longer.

Are they any brighter? Just curious....i traded for a new AL-82 and was thinking sooner or later i'd have to replace those meter lights.

Thanks, John WR8D

I did the same thing with my AL-811H. Replaced the lamps with some nice blue LEDs. Looks pretty cool. IIRC I added a small resistor in series.
    Bob
    SKCC #12717

Default Dentron Ditto

Have the parts for the same mod on my Dentron Amp and matching tuner glad to know somebody else tried and is happy with the results.

Default LEDS in AL-811

Yes they are much brighter and they look great .
    Last edited by KA2VZX; 05-01-2009 at 11:53 PM.

Default LEDS in AL-811

Here is a picture of the finished product http://www.qrz.com/im/KA2VZX/?op=view&img=al811_002.jpg

Thanks for the reply and the pic here onsite. I'll pick me up a couple of those tomorrow and change mine over this weekend..."hopefully" Hi Hi.

73 John WR8D

Default AL-811

You will also need a 270ohm 1/4 watt resistor on the ground side of the LED 12 volt feed.

KA2VZX

Thanks Guys for the help here I was just going to post a thread and ask about this. It pays to search.

Any idea what the model # is for the blue LEDs is.

After all MFJ wants $13.80 ea. shipped. I feel better about 3 bucks for both and they should last forever.

Thaks again
    RON
    Last edited by KI6DCN; 06-29-2009 at 06:14 AM.
    People were put on this earth to be Loved and Things were put on this earth to be Used. These days the World has it Back words.

Huge difference. Like having halogen headlights. Great look compared to the dirty yellow look of the stock bulbs.

I had to file the lip of the diode just a hair to get it to fit in the meter housing.
    People were put on this earth to be Loved and Things were put on this earth to be Used. These days the World has it Back words.