Callsign
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Half-Wave End Fed tuner from these parts?

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-assoc
ad: l-innov
ad: l-Waters
ad: l-rl
ad: l-tentec
ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-WarrenG

Default Half-Wave End Fed tuner from these parts?

Hey guys, I just scrounged up some great reactive components and I want to make a half wave end fed antenna tuner with them. I also have another capacitor for what its worth. How would I go about hooking these up and is there enough "juice" in them to make a good matching network?

The inductor is 40uH the whole length and I assume the cap is probably a couple hundred pF. Any ideas?

[FONT=Tahoma]Tom
    73 de WEA

Kick off your shoes and dive in the empty ocean...

~Dave Matthews[/FONT]

Default Half-wave End Fed tuner fromthese parts?

Firstly (as the British would say) The variable capacitor looks (to me) like it is a receiving capacitor (closely spaced) plates, probably about 360 pF (mmF). This would limit the power to the tuner to 100 watts or less . (Arcing when not in resonance). The inductor would need to be "tapped" or a roller to change the inductance to what may be required for a specific hook-up. Feeding an end-fed half wave antenns results in a very high input impedance. My suggestion is to read an (ARRL) or other radio amateur's handbook to familiarize yourself with these simple circuits. There are generally three (3) configurations for feedind various antenna input impedances. Depending on what band (frequencies) you want to work, an end-fed antenna is the worst choice. A random length would be better. This is all explaned in the handbook(s) and is quite simple. Let us know how you make out. 73 Joe W4CBJ

On my homemade EFHW tuner, I used a T130-2 toroid with 18 turns of 20ga bell wire on it, and a 365pf vari cap.

I then wrapped two windings on the T130-2 and connected the ends of that to the coax to my rig.

Look here: http://www.aa5tb.com/efha_wrk.html

and here: http://www.aa5tb.com/coupler3.html

I have always made these with toroids. I have not made one with the air inductor you show. I imagine it can be done but wow...40 uH might be a bit much. The inductance in mine runs about 3uH to maybe 4.5 uH for my 20m and 40m versions.

Yeah, I've seen the pages with the toroids... I have a bigger toroid here that I used for making baluns I could use but I'm not sure I have an analyzer that could tell me the inductance on it if used it. I might be able to find one (I go to an engineering school for heaven's sake right?!)

Ideally, I'd like it to work like the PAC Electronics 10/20/40 - or at least 20/40. I know it uses a coil along the line somewhere, but it allows you to use full halfwave length wires on any other band too. I think I'll make another trip up to the W9NAA shack to see if I can find a L-C meter.
    [FONT=Tahoma]Tom
    73 de WEA

~Dave Matthews[/FONT]

You can use those parts to make your tuner, Just go easy on the power. Even 100w might be pushing things.

If the cap arcs, or the coil melts, You went too far!

Rege
    Now my mistakes travel at the speed of light!:cool:

LOL yeah, I have 20w max on my rig anyway :P (Ten Tec Argonaut V)
    [FONT=Tahoma]Tom
    73 de WEA

~Dave Matthews[/FONT]

Default Half-wave End Fed Tuner

Actually, measuring inductance or capacitance is quite simple. All you need to do is purchase (OUCH) or build a Wheatstone impedance bridge. Very inexpensive and easy to do. I went to engineering school and they did not even mention anything about it (mechanical). Without it....let me tell that I never graduated from 'magician's school'. 73 Joe W4CBJ

Italian: ingegnere meccanico
    German: maschinenbauingeniur
    Dutch: mechanisce ingenieur

You can also measure impedance or capacitance with a Grid Dip Oscillator ("grid dip meter").

A simple way of using the inductor is to tap it about every 5 turns. Do this by pushing in the wire on each side of where you want to put the tap. Then you can either install some kind of switch to chose the tap or, even simpler, use an alligator clip on the end of a piece of hookup wire and physically move the tap.

Glen, K9STH

I did a bit more research and rather than make a limited L network, I'm just going to use all 3 components and do the classic T configuration (C-L-C). My main issue is that my current tuner (MFJ-941E) is just too big to carry around. I've got it opened up now and the caps would fit in my project box (4"x4"x3") well and the switch has lots of positions, and I could use my little coil for the inductor, which according to the ARRL (http://www.arrl.org/tis/info/pdf/9501046.pdf) has a good range of inductances.

opinions?
    [FONT=Tahoma]Tom
    73 de WEA

~Dave Matthews[/FONT]

Default Half-wave End Fed Tuner

Yeah....but...the Wheatstone bridge if properly constructed and calibrated will read out the actual capacitance or inductance very accurately in comparison with a "good" 'store bought' bridge. 73 Joe W4CBJ

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast