ad: l-assoc
ad: l-innov
ad: l-rl
ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-Waters
ad: l-WarrenG
ad: l-tentec

Default Looking for Myanmar (Burma) Licensing Information

Does anyone have any CURRENT information regarding obtaining a license for Myanmar? The ARRL's International Licensing page has wrong (as usual) information about licensing for Myanmar.

After staying here for the past 6 months, it's time for me to move on when my visa expires in just under two months from now. My orignal plan was to next DX long term from Vietnam & Laos, but neither of those two countries (along with Cambodia) are much needed by the majority of DXers.

Again, any VALID & CURRENT information regarding applying for a Myanmar license would be most welcome. I have found NOTHING regarding an official Myanmar licensing contact on the Internet.

Thanks!!!

Tom XU7XXX

All I can find is what was on the ARRL webpage, probably the same as you found;
    Post and Telecommunications Department
    Ministry of Transport and Communications
    Ministers Office
    1st floor, General Post Office
    Strand Road, Rangoon
    So far as I have heard they are not real internet friendly there with a LOT of government control over it. My sister was there some time ago. Maybe it has changed but I would doubt it. Only stations I ever worked or heard there was XZ9A and 1Z9A in 1982 which are good for nothing! Probably pretty tight on amateur radio operations there. Hope you pull it off. I sure could use a contact!!
    You might email the DXCC desk and see if they have any updated info at all.

edit:
    I dug some more and found this;
    http://www.mpt.net.mm/
    Looks like it could be what you are looking for as it lists international radio operators licensing a ways down. Not sure how to get in touch with them though. It seems to just talk about them.

edit again...
    At the bottom of the web page I clicked on PTD and got to several forms on that route. I didn't see anything particular to amateur radio nor any contact info snail mail or otherwise. Dig dig dig and you may come up with something.

edit again...again!
    This may be it!
    http://www.itu.int/osg/spu/stn/spect...f_myanmar.html
    I also see this a lot;
    MYANMAR Burma Amateur Radio Transmitting Society [BARTS]
    Membership rights temporarily suspended
    THAT doesn't sound promising!
    Last edited by K7MH; 04-02-2009 at 06:31 AM.
    "Oh what a tangled web we weave when first we practice to receive."
    -Otto Watt Sept. 5 1925

Tom,
    Try this fellow:
    XZ1L

LUIS CHARTARIFSKY

MINISTRY OF HOTELS & TOURISM

YANGON, MYANMAR,

MYANMAR

We are all living vicariously through your adventures. Have fun.

Terry, K7FE
    Terry Graves, K7FE
    Chief Editor, QRZ.COM

"Some people call CW a MODE but in
    reality it is an autonomous LANGUAGE."

But let us know how you get on with it.

I suspect, just being the cynic that I AM, that you will find Amateur Radio locked up tight. After all, it's in the hands of a military dictatorship that's not particularly acquainted with "human rights" [whatever you perceive them to be].

No offence, but if I were visiting such a place, I'd tend to try and keep as low a profile as humanly possible. People disappear in Burma and are never seen again.

Quote Originally Posted by KG6WOU View Post
    But let us know how you get on with it.

I suspect, just being the cynic that I AM, that you will find Amateur Radio locked up tight. After all, it's in the hands of a military dictatorship that's not particularly acquainted with "human rights" [whatever you perceive them to be].

The actual Burmese government is in exile in Europe. Might be difficult to get them to issue a valid license.

You might also contact these guys who were on previous dxpeditions:

Sigi DL7DF
    Champ E21EIC

Tom

You are NOT permitted to leave Cambodia UNTIL I find you on the bands.
    Even a quick 5NN will do it, thats all I am asking for.
    GL finding the info you seek.
    Politicians...Round em up...Drown them all and start over !

Thanks for the posted info. It gives me a little something to go on.

This is bound to be an excersise in frustration though. The official radio licensing section of the Myanmar government does not have a posted telephone number while other details are shady at best.

Another title for this might be, "So Close, Yet so Far Away".

Myanmar is only about 1 hour away by plane from the Southeast Asia transit hub of Bangkok & I'm less than 45 minutes away from Bangkok. Flights from Bangkok to Yangon (the capitol of Myanmar) depart several times a week.

I will send them an email (along with XZ1L) but I'm not expecting much since the emails will be written in English..........PLEASE email me or post here if you can be of ANY help regarding obtaining a Myanmar license.

This would be a "new one" for literally tens of thousands of fellow amateurs...............PLEASE HELP ME MAKE THIS HAPPEN!!!!

Thanks much!!!

Tom XU7XXX

Have you tried contacting the Myanmar Embassy in the US? It might be worth a shot.

http://www.mewashingtondc.com/