ad: l-assoc
ad: l-tentec
ad: l-innov
ad: l-rl
ad: l-Waters
ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-WarrenG

Default Sunspot cycle and 10 meters question

I have been out of ham radio for a while now, so I've become dull in thought. Where are we at in the current sunspot cycle? At the bottom of the valley, starting to go up hill, going uphill quickly, nearing the peak?

How many years will this cycle last?

What has 10 meters been like lately? Is it starting to come to life or is it still mostly dead or hit and miss?

What year will this cycle peak?

How will the coming sunspot cycle affect the other bands (12 through 160 meters)? Will they degrade or be enhanced? Are they degrading or enhancing right now?

Thanks
    KC0BUS

Quote Originally Posted by KC0BUS View Post
    I have been out of ham radio for a while now, so I've become dull in thought. Where are we at in the current sunspot cycle? At the bottom of the valley, starting to go up hill, going uphill quickly, nearing the peak?
    Most folks think that we are at the bottom of the valley and hopefully will see some upward swing soon. We are actually quite late in seeing some improvement in the sunspot numbers and solar flux.

How many years will this cycle last?
    Sunspot cycles last on average 11 years but can be longer or shorter. There is no real accurate prediction method available.

What has 10 meters been like lately? Is it starting to come to life or is it still mostly dead or hit and miss?
    Ten meters has been pretty slow lately. There is always sporadic E propagation that is independant of sunspot numbers that peaks from may through August and also in December. There has been some caribbean F layer propagation between north america and south america that can be seen during contests when the superstations are on. In addition there has been some TEP to southern south america. There is always some meteor scatter available especially in the early morning.

What year will this cycle peak?
    No one knows the answer to this one. The peak of the last cycle was around 1999-2000 so statistically speaking the peak would occur around 2010-2011. But the last cycle had a double peak so its not too clear how to project the next one. But it looks like the next cycle is getting a slow start so the peak may be later than this rough approximation.

How will the coming sunspot cycle affect the other bands (12 through 160 meters)? Will they degrade or be enhanced? Are they degrading or enhancing right now?
    The sunspots in the next cycle will improve worldwide propagation on all frequencies above 14 MHz. Some folks think that the lower bands have slightly lower propagation, but that might just be due to the fact that the low bands are harder to work and when the ionosphere is red hot all the operators are enjoying the higher frequencies where a handful of watts and a conductive spaghetti noodle will make QSOs.

Assuming that we're not entering another 'Maunder Minimum' with no significant sunpots for the next couple generations, we should see some sunspots again shortly. There have already been sunspots from the next cycle, and there has been a rise in solar activity outside of sunspots.

Typically, the number of sunspots ramps up very quickly, then tapers off slowly.

At this point, I'm not sure I'd invest a fortune in monoband 10 meter gear.
    Based on my previous experience, which may not be typical, I'd expect 15 meters to come back to life at least a year ahead of 10. 15 exhibits much of the same characteristics as 10, in fact, it has some propagation modes, such as 'long path', that you won't often see on 10.

If, however, this sunspot peak is much lower than what we've seen recently, it's possible that 10 might not be fantastic this time around. We might see 15 and even 12 meters being the top DX band for a while.

Alas, the experts just don't know. Some are predicting a low cycle, and others are predicting a spectacular one.

Of course, more than just 10 meters is involved - the sunspot cycle affects the whole HF spectrum. When the higher bands are great, the lower bands tend to stink. But, you'll find better conditions on 20, 30 and 40 meters at night when the sunspots are high, too.
    EchoLink, IRLP, Allstar and DSTAR linking - adding interest to repeaters worldwide 24X7

At the present time the sunspot cyle is at its very lowest and has been for some time. It seems 10 metres is working in the US in some states and they are having contacts into South America and across country. The best bands at the moment are 80,40 and 20 occasionally some activity on 17 but 15, 12 and 10 are spasmodic

G0GQK

We're close to a 100 year low when it comes to sunspots. I hope we aren't entering a Maunder minimum. That was when the 11 year sunspot cycles stoped and the sunspots all but dissapeared for almost 70 years.

Here's a recent article from Spaceweather.com about the current solar activity.

http://spaceweather.com/archive.php?...h=03&year=2009

DEEP SOLAR MINIMUM: Where have all the sunspots gone? As of yesterday, March 21st, the sun has been blank on 85% of the days of 2009. If this rate of spotlessness continues through the end of the year, 2009 will match 1913 as the blankest year of the past century. A flurry of new-cycle sunspots in Oct. 2008 prompted some observers to declare that solar minimum was ending, but since then the calm has returned. We are still in the pits of a deep solar minimum.

Don't worry, you are not the only one to become dull/be out of radio, I too have had an extended hiatus away from radio for about 15-20 years, I remember having a ball on the airwaves on 11m around 1984-1986? running 4w am into a very small centre load magnetic mount in the rain gutter on my house & was chatting to stations around Australia up to 1000Km plus.

Then moved on to have a modest base setup & talking the world on SSB running full legal power of 12W PEP, was in the process of getting my ham licence, then the bum fell out of the skip & it dropped off by about 1988ish which was around the time I met my wife & she was not supportive of radio so i dropped out & sold all my gear etc

After a almost 15 year marriage (and missing 2 times 11 year cycles) got divorced & now with new woman who is supportive of radio & now I am restocking my radio's & getting my licence just in time for the next cycle

Michael

Here's the predictions Solar Cycle Progression

The predictions suggest that we already should be on the up-swing some time this year, with a peak coming in 2012 - 2013.

But there's no way to be sure what it's going to do, until after it's over. The current minimum has been running longer than anyone predicted.

Quote Originally Posted by DAMO666 View Post
    Good man cokebottle. I'm into 11m freebanding at the moment. I'm using an 1/2 wave vertical and nearly 300 watts on ssb, but activity is scarce. Until the skip improves i just pirate tx on the 3m band with some good old audio equipment and 100 watts. It's all good fun.
    Good grief...

[COLOR=#000000][IMG]http://jamespaulsarte.com/temp/ham/k2qi_latin.gif[/IMG][/COLOR]

Quote Originally Posted by DAMO666 View Post
    Good man cokebottle. I'm into 11m freebanding at the moment. I'm using an 1/2 wave vertical and nearly 300 watts on ssb, but activity is scarce. Until the skip improves i just pirate tx on the 3m band with some good old audio equipment and 100 watts. It's all good fun.
    I hope the moderaters turn you in..
    I'm sorry you don't have the experience or understanding to realize that others possess a skill set that you seem to dismiss as fantastical.

It seems to me there are a lot of freebanders and CB'ers on QRZ who have no intention of getting their ham license. (At least that's my impression).

It also seems that this is tolerated on these forums, so QRZ should at least create a CB corner for them where they can talk about stuff like shooting skip and modifying ham radio equipment for freeband use.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast