ad: l-Waters
ad: l-innov
ad: l-tentec
ad: l-rl
ad: l-Heil

Contribute
to QRZ

Default Google map of FCC monitoring stations

I decided to make a google map tonight out of a combination of boredom and questions from a friend about to take a ham test on saturday relating to the FCC monitoring stations.

Basically we didnt know where they were, so we decided to look and found them, and I converted them into a google map along with a radius of 1600 meters (1 mile give or take) so that people can better know where slightly different rules may apply to the operation of a radio transmitter.

There are 14 such stations listed in 47 CFR 0.121(b), and the FCC is nice enough to provide GPS coordinates for them making my task a whole lot easier.

Give it a whirl http://www.0xdecafbad.com/fcc
    (its really boring)

Default Take it a step farther.

Look at those coordinates in Google Earth. You see the radial fields better than the antennas themselves.
    Steve

If you have to worry about the cost of HF e-mail, you can't afford the boat.

CW: The mode that accomplishes the most with the least circuitry, the least spectrum, and the least power.

What hath God wrought?
    He hath wrought that pounding brass still kicks .- ... ...

Quote Originally Posted by N8CPA View Post
    Look at those coordinates in Google Earth. You see the radial fields better than the antennas themselves.

I looked at the one in livermore, CA using the "satellite" mode and yeah they are clearly visible. I also did a 1600m from the center point not the ring that has been established.

What would make this better is for people to take pictures (if allowed, it should be though) which can be linked in the info bubble that pops up when you click on a point

You can see the feedline trench from the antenna(s) to the shack in the Grand Island satellite view.

That's my dream, to have a station where you can see the antenna ranch from space.
    ACH,
    Member ARRL, SKCC #215, NAQCC #3441, FISTS #11993

Quote Originally Posted by AC0H View Post
    You can see the feedline trench from the antenna(s) to the shack in the Grand Island satellite view.

That's my dream, to have a station where you can see the antenna ranch from space.
    I live in a restricted neighborhood. You can't see my antenna if you're looking for it.

You can see my KY5U Goat Farm from space.....
    KY5U - Be a REAL amateur, learn CW.

Default Suspicions confirmed!

Quote Originally Posted by KY5U View Post
    I live in a restricted neighborhood. You can't see my antenna if you're looking for it.

You can see my KY5U Goat Farm from space.....
    A goat farm in a restricted neighborhood? You DO live in a nanny state!
    Steve

CW: The mode that accomplishes the most with the least circuitry, the least spectrum, and the least power.

What hath God wrought?

Look suspiciously like the Wollenweber arrays (Elephant Cages) the Military and NSA used throughout the world at one time. I remember the one in Augsburg, Germany. Huge concentric curtain arrays, each comprised of hundreds if not thousands of individual dipoles. A computer system and banks of receivers could triangulate the signal to determine the source location very precisely. Never mind the eaves dropping of the actual conversation. I believe most are gone now.

Beautiful Downtown Colorado. (Montrose, SW corner)

Neat, I thot the FCC had closed their monitoring stations. Tnx for the info.

TOM K8ERV Montrose Colo

Quote Originally Posted by KB1NXE View Post
    Look suspiciously like the Wollenweber arrays (Elephant Cages) the Military and NSA used throughout the world at one time. I remember the one in Augsburg, Germany. Huge concentric curtain arrays, each comprised of hundreds if not thousands of individual dipoles. A computer system and banks of receivers could triangulate the signal to determine the source location very precisely. Never mind the eaves dropping of the actual conversation. I believe most are gone now.
    But if you look where they were located, you can still see their footprints.
    Look outside of Bondville Il, for example, N40 02 58 W88 22 51.
    Steve

What hath God wrought?

AFAIK, the Allegan, MI facility is closed. One of my Drake R7s came from the facility...I have purchase, warranty and upgrade paperwork signed by the early 80's Station Chief.

This particular R7 has a BNC antenna input and a 50KHz IF Out connector on its rear banel...all "factory Drake". This so the rig could be used in conjunction with a 'scope for waveform inspection. I recently got hold of another of these receivers; no idea which station it came from...
    The AR15/M16 - Irritating practically everyone since 1960...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast