ad: l-assoc
ad: l-innov
ad: l-rl
ad: l-Waters
ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-WarrenG
ad: l-tentec

Default Max power for RG58 coax cables?

I ordered a new antenna switch box for my dipoles. I got 4 - 12ft. MFJ-5812 coax cables to run from the dipoles to the switch box. It appears I should have gotten RG8U cables since the RG58 is rated "low power". Occasionally I run my AL811H amp., so would it burn up these cables if I install them between the antennas and the switch box? What is the maximum power for the RG58 cables?
    Thanks,
    Jim, KE3FG

Depends on the quality of the cables and their connectors. But mil-spec RG58A/U or RG58C/U can handle a kilowatt on HF, into a matched load.

If you run SSB-CW-PSK31, you should be in good shape unless you're transmitting into a real mismatch. For RTTY, I'd go for bigger cable.

WB2WIK/6

check this site for your answer:

http://www.timesmicrowave.com/cgi-bin/calculate.pl

Goggle is your friend

Ken
    KZ4Y

Don't tell anyone, but I've run 10 KW at 660KHz through a short length of RG-58. Not recommended, but it did keep an A.M. station on the air during a crucial polical season.

(Glad to get rid of the coax AND the politicians after this one!)

eric
    "The more you know, the less you don't know."

From Belden:

http://www.belden.com/pdfs/TechInfo/...cteristics.pdf

Looks like its good for a KW (Matched) at 30 MHZ or below.

Rege
    Now my mistakes travel at the speed of light!:cool:

Default Looks like it'll be OK...

Thanks for the link. I had searched for the answer using Google before I posted this question, but the only answer I saw regarding power was "low power". Here is the data for 10 Meters (lower freq have less attenuation and higher maximum power permitted):
    Coaxial Cable Attenuation & Power Handling Calculator

Product RG-58
    Frequency 28 (MHz)
    Attenuation 2.384(db/100 feet)
    Average Power 0.57 (kW)
    Run Length 12 (feet)
    Total Run 0.3 Attenuation(dB)
    Efficiency 93.6(%)

So it looks like I will be OK for my CW and SSB operation. (I don't run RTTY) Thanks for all the answers.
    Jim

Default Max Power For RG58

Jim,

It's funny you post this question because I always wondered about the power handling ability of not only RG58 but other ham related circuits as well.
    For instance, it is usually suggested to go with 12 awg or at least 14 awg, at a minimum, when building dipole antennas. With that in mind, I went with 12 awg stranded wire when I built mine. I used RG-58, as the plan suggested to build the choke balun. You and I both know that the center conductor of RG-58 is no where near the size of 12 awg wire. Here's the kicker, just by chance, I took the lid off the HF rig that puts out 100W and noticed this tiny wire soldered to the center conductor SO239 antenna jack. It may be 26 awg or at the most no bigger than 20 awg.

I think you see where I am heading with this real scenario. I am an electrician, jet aircraft electrician, and an electronics tech and none of this BS makes sense to me. I'm sure glad I didn't wire my home like this. Can you imagine the look on the inspector's face when he sees this mixture of wire guages in a single circuit. I don't think he'd pass off on it for sure.

Bottom line, almost any size conductor will pass a voltage but the key is just how much current (amperage) will it pass. Normally, when building circuits that require a lot of current, you must increase the size (diameter) of the wire (conductor).

Then there's ham radio electronics - a whole different animal.

Good luck Jim !!!

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by N7SGM View Post
    Jim,

It's funny you post this question because I always wondered about the power handling ability of not only RG58 but other ham related circuits as well.
    For instance, it is usually suggested to go with 12 awg or at least 14 awg, at a minimum, when building dipole antennas. With that in mind, I went with 12 awg stranded wire when I built mine. I used RG-58, as the plan suggested to build the choke balun. You and I both know that the center conductor of RG-58 is no where near the size of 12 awg wire. Here's the kicker, just by chance, I took the lid off the HF rig that puts out 100W and noticed this tiny wire soldered to the center conductor SO239 antenna jack. It may be 26 awg or at the most no bigger than 20 awg.

I think you see where I am heading with this real scenario. I am an electrician, jet aircraft electrician, and an electronics tech and none of this BS makes sense to me. I'm sure glad I didn't wire my home like this. Can you imagine the look on the inspector's face when he sees this mixture of wire guages in a single circuit. I don't think he'd pass off on it for sure.

Bottom line, almost any size conductor will pass a voltage but the key is just how much current (amperage) will it pass. Normally, when building circuits that require a lot of current, you must increase the size (diameter) of the wire (conductor).

Then there's ham radio electronics - a whole different animal.

Good luck Jim !!!

Bob

Bob:

Though there is a good point to your being appalled at the inconsistency in R.F. wire gauges, you have to remember that the currents are NOT consistent in R.F. circuits....which is why they radiate!

I do this neat trick (do NOT show this to your local electrical inspector!), where I can light a 100 watt incandescent bulb by holding the threaded part of the base VERY tightly between my thumb and finger, and touching the button to the output of a 10 meter transmitter. (If you try this, be SURE you grab the base tight, or you're in for a nasty R.F. burn!)

Now, figure out the equivalent "gauge" of human skin for this!

eric
    "The more you know, the less you don't know."

Bob - that wire connecting to the SO-239 of your "100 watt" transmitter doesn't have to carry any more than 1.414 amperes, and this is what the manufacturer will size it for. That's determined by the power rating (100 watts) and the impedance (usually specified as 50 ohms).

It's probably #20, which will handle it and more.
    Semper ubi sub ubi. 73
    K7KBN CWO4 USNR Ret.

Quote Originally Posted by KE3FG View Post
    So it looks like I will be OK for my CW and SSB operation. (I don't run RTTY) Thanks for all the answers.
    Jim
    There's bad news and good news:

Bad news: You need to de-rate the power rating by whatever VSWR is on the line. i.e. VSWR=2:1 you need to halve the power.

Good news: It's an average power rating, so you can increase the rating by the duty cycle of the mode. Keep the overs real short and you could factor in the Tx/Rx duty cycle as well

Steve

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast