Callsign
ad: dxeng
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Yaesu FT-950 vs. Kenwood TS-2000 Your opinons?

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-assoc
ad: l-tentec
ad: l-innov
ad: l-rl
ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-WarrenG
ad: l-Waters

Default Yaesu FT-950 vs. Kenwood TS-2000 Your opinons?

Hi,

I'm in the market for a new HF\6m base rig and the FT-950 and TS-2000 seem to be in my price range. Aside from the fact that the TS-2000 has VHF\UHF capability which one do you think is the better radio? My main interests are SSB and Digital with a little CW thrown in there for good measure. I also like to operate VHF\UHF. At first glance, I thought the TS-2000 would be the way to go (for my style of operating) but I have a FT-897D that I could use for the VHF\UHF stuff if I decided to go with the FT-950 or I could sale the FT-897D and use the money to purchase transverters for 2m and 440. What would you do?

73 Matt
    W5LL

Very good question. I owned the FT-950 for a few months and sold it. It was a great radio for the money. Besides the differences you noted in your post the one sticking point for me is that the FT-950's technology is several years ahead of the TS-2000. That being said, I bought the TS-2000 and love the radio. The TS-2000 IMO is a better radio. The FT-950 is nice because it has a parametric equalizer. However I have been able to adjust my transmit audio nicely with the TS-2000 using the ARCP-2000 software. I prefer the size of the 950 but like I said, I sold the 950 to buy the 2000, and have no regrets! Good Luck. It's kinda fun to be in a position where you can weigh the pros and cons of each radio!
    Last edited by K2PJW; 03-10-2009 at 02:23 PM. Reason: spelling error

The Ts-2000 is essentially two radios.

You can rx two different bands at once.

100 watts on 160-2 meter

50 watts on UHF

you have all modes for VHF/UHF

Capable of Cross Band repeat and Sky Command

1 radio 1 power supply.

I just bought another TS-2000 because I sold the first one thinking it was to much radio and I let others tell me that if one part goes down then the entire radio is gone for repair. Well duh, that is the same with any radio isn't it?

I don't buy a motorcycle because my car has 4 wheels and if one wheel goes flat I have to send it in to get fixed? Same with the motorcycle, one flat you still have to get it repaired.

All in one is alot more fun if you ask me.
    The universe is a pretty big place. If it's just us, seems like an awful waste of space.

I purchased the Ts 2000X last July. It is one nice radio and covers every thing you can inagine. With the help of one or two others on the Zed when first puchased I was able to get it set up just the way i like it. I would recomend the Ts 2000 to any one. Loads of fun and great signal reports to boot. I have had no problems with this radio since I bought used from an SK, it is now about two years old.

I cant offer any advise about the FT-950 as I have never owned one.
    Last edited by W9OE; 03-10-2009 at 05:09 PM.

Can I add the IC-7000 to the contest? I'm really torn between these.

Are you looking for high performance on the VHF/UHF bands?

There's an interesting article in the new CQ comparing two of the new top of the line rigs against an old TS-850 as IF's for high performance VHF/UHF work.

Interestingly enough, the old 850 holds up very well compared to the two new ones - Flex 5000 and K3.

I've seen the Flex in action, and it runs circles around any and all 'all-mode' 'all band' rigs. I've used the K3 on HF CW and it is terrific. I've also used the 850 on HF CW and I like it too.

I think an 850 with a couple good transverters would be the way to go. When you add in the cost of amplifiers, etc., it will no doubt cost more than the TS-2000, but it should work better.
    EchoLink, IRLP, Allstar and DSTAR linking - adding interest to repeaters worldwide 24X7

I just bought my first "new" rig last month. After much painstaking research I bought the 950, and love it. I was primarily interested in reciever performance and I think I made the right choice. The IC-7000 was a close second.
    [callsign]AB8XE[/callsign]

The Kenwood TS 2000 can do things that NO OTHER radio on the market can do. Like cross band repeat HF to UHF or VHF. (REALLY neat to walk around the neighborhood while working 75 meters from a shirt pocket hand held for example!) Or monitor for a 6 meter opening while doing yard work carrying your little hand held. Or talk out to a very distant repeater from your hand held through your base station tall antenna from your handi while walking the dog. etc
    The TS 2000 can also be remote controlled (Sky Command)

The TS 2000 is actually two radios in one box. You can monitor HF while working VHF or UHF, Or vice versa.

bump............

Smile Yaesu FT-950 vs. Kenwood TS-2000

Quote Originally Posted by W5LL View Post
    Hi,

I'm in the market for a new HF\6m base rig and the FT-950 and TS-2000 seem to be in my price range. Aside from the fact that the TS-2000 has VHF\UHF capability which one do you think is the better radio? My main interests are SSB and Digital with a little CW thrown in there for good measure. I also like to operate VHF\UHF. At first glance, I thought the TS-2000 would be the way to go (for my style of operating) but I have a FT-897D that I could use for the VHF\UHF stuff if I decided to go with the FT-950 or I could sale the FT-897D and use the money to purchase transverters for 2m and 440. What would you do?

73 Matt
    W5LL

General Features TS 2000•High performance true IF/stage DSP on main band. AF stage DSP on sub-band.•Digital filtering. (No more expensive options to buy)•Satellite ready, with transverter frequency display.•Wide band receive.•Dual receive, (HF & 2m or 70cm) (2m & 2m) (70cm & 70cm)•Cross band repeat.•100 watts output on HF, 6 and 2 meters. 50 watts output on 70cm, 10 watts output on 1.2 GHz (optional UT-20)•Built-in a Auto Tuner HF through 6 meters•Built-in TNC for KSS/DX PACKET CLUSTER TUNE•Built-in RS-232 for computer control•Built-in TCXO (.5PPM)•CTCSS & DCS encode/decode•Electronic memory keyer World •5+1 Antenna ports. (2 for HF & 6m, 1 for 2m, 1 for 70cm, 1 for 1.2 GHz option & 1 for and HF receive antenna)
    SpecificationsAutomatic Antenna TunerYesBeat CancelYesCross Band RepeatYesCTCSSEnc/DecCW Auto TuneYesDCSEnc/DecDual Band ReceiveYesDX Packet Cluster TuneYesMemory Channels100Noise ReductionYesNumber of Bands13PC ProgrammableYesRadio Control SoftwareYes ARCP-2000 (Optional)Receiver Operating ModeFM/FM-W/FM-N AM/USB/LSB/CWReceiver RangeMain:
    (.03).5-30Mhz,
    (30)50-54(60)MHz,
    (142)144-148(152)MHz,
    (420)430-450MHz
    1240-1300MHz
    (TS-2000X Only)Sub:
    (118) 144-148(174) MHz,
    (220) 438-450 (512) MHz
    *Figures in parenthesis () indicate VFO coverage rangeRX EqualizerYesSatellite CommunicationsYesSkyCommandYesTNCYesTransmit Frequency Range50-54MHzTX EqualizerYesTX MonitorYesVoice Synthesizer (Optional)Yes VS-3VoIPNoWide/Narrow FMYes

Features YAESU FT 950
    * TX Frequency Coverage: 160-10 Meters, 50 MHz
    * RX Frequency Coverage: 30 kHz-56 MHz;
    * Power Output: 5 to 100 watts HF-6M
    * Operating Modes: USB, LSB, CW, AM, FM
    * Speech Processing
    * Built-in Electronic Keyer
    * Digital Noise Reduction
    * Built In Antenna Tuner
    I WOULD PICK THE TS 2000 HANDS DOWN!
    [FONT=Impact][SIZE=4][I]RICK[/I][/SIZE][/FONT]
    [FONT=Impact][SIZE=4][I]73 ![/I][/SIZE][/FONT]