ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-assoc
ad: l-rl
ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-tentec
ad: l-innov
ad: l-WarrenG
ad: l-Waters

When I was in the army I had schooling on the TRC-24 at Ft.Gordon, Ga. This was April, 1961. The instructors told us these were only for training purposes, as they weren't being used in the field anymore. At Ft. Gordon we operated what they called "A" band. For all intent and purpose this was 6 meters.
    When I arrived at my duty station in Munich, Germany I was given a 2 ton truck with the AN/TRC-24 hut mounted on it, a trailer with two 5 kw Hobart generators. The thing had tuning heads for "A" band, almost everything was exactly the same as it was in the school, including the TCC-7 carrier unit and the TT-1 teletype modems.
    One of my co-workers was stationed in Turkey in the late '70s with the Air Force, and he said they had TRC-24s there.
    Just curious if anyone in this fourm also was exposed to them, and which band they were set to operate.
    The sands of time don't go back up unless you turn over the hourglass
    -.-. .-- -- .- -.-- .. - -. . ...- . .-. -.. .. .
    Doug Flory
    WB6BCN

Hi Doug....wow...memories...in the USAF and had the same stuff in Korea (Osan) in 1960. Went through school in MS (Keesler) and had both the 24 and TCC-7's.

See the TX/RX Filters in the Fair catalogs. Not much else. Think the A covered 6 and up to around 80 or so. B think covered where the FM Fcst is and C was upper VHF and D started around 300Mc or so. Been a while since I've seen anything on them. 4X150's for finals and the UHF end was 4X150G's (Coaxial socket).

We had them (2 bays) in Okinawa also, VHF path from Kadena to Onna Point. Other stuff was microwave. This was early 61 to 63.

Pretty darn reliable stuff though. I don't ever remember one quitting on its own. With regular PM, they ran forever (if you kept the bugs out of the fans)..!!

Bill, W0LPQ

Bill, W0LPQ:

Like you, I don't remember one crapping out except for the 4x150 in the tuning head, or the 5R4GYB in the power supply.
    The biege color on the 5R4 was quite a pleasant break from the black base on other tubes.

The TCC-7 on the other hand was always needing attention.

The layout of the van I was in charge of as I remember:
    As you entered, immediatly to the left was the antenna stuff: #The base plate, the mast, the antenna, guy wires and the sledge hammer.
    About center left was the radio, directly behind, on the right side, was the TCC-7. #At the very front were two healthy squirrle cage fans on the top, below that on a shelf were the TT-1 modems, and below that was a desk for writing log entries, #playing solitare, ETC.

How does compare with your van?

The sands of time don't go back up unless you turn over the hourglass
    -.-. .-- -- .- -.-- .. - -. . ...- . .-. -.. .. .
    Doug Flory
    WB6BCN

In Korea and Okinawa, the gear was mounted inside a building.....no vans.

However, just remembered that we had them in Florida in 1965 in a 3/4 ton truck at the former US Strike Command (now US Southern Command). I was on a Collins AN/TRC-66 Microwave Terminal at the time and only a couple of times helped the TRC-24 guys when they had a new guy and he did not know how to pound guy stakes. But, the layout you mention does sound somewhat familiar to the 3/4 ton truck...(old ambulance style).

Wow...more memories...think we lost one 150G during a lightning hit and maybe a 5R4...but that was about all. As you said...the TCC-7 was something else to maintain. But, strangely enough, in the building environment, we did not have many failures.

Bill, W0LPQ

Default AN/TRC-24 memories

The other posts that I just read are quite old... but it sure did bring back memories of my Army service from 64-69. I taught at the Ft. Gordon school with the TRC24, an/tcc-7 etc. We used the trc24 in Korea, VietNam, Germany, and throughout the US during that time... great workhorse... in the 2.5ton van and/or 3/4 ton truck in VN... in a building in Korea. The generator set was 2-5kw gens... used 5 gal of diesel every 4 hours... changing generators in the middle of the night at 40 below in Korea is something to remember. Cold coax is impossible to put away. While in Ft. Lewis, WA we made a vhf shot from Rainier to Spokane... longest shot anybody ever made in Ft. Lewis. Would love to have a complete trc-24 set... not sure what the heck I'd do with it, but it would make a nice space heater!

I trained at Ft. Gordon too, from May-Oct '62, as a Field Radio Repairman, but when my buddy and I got to Germany, (we flew, because of the Cuban thing; what a blessing!) they said they had too many repairmen, and made us both TRC/24 operators, which was another blessing. Used C and D band, naked dipoles, and in '64, everybody switched to F band boxes. Equip was pretty much failure free, except for replacing the power tubes. We had a big wind come through our site near Giebelstadt, and it blew our tower down! While everybody else went into Wurzburg to get the site chief, me and another guy found some spare J-band antennas in our storage tent, set them on top of our Deuce and a half radio van, I connected everything, turned the power back on, and the first thing I hear is tone from Terminal 4...oh yeah...then I heard our relay shot talking to T-4, and I knew we were alright...and everybody was 5-by...I couldn't believe it, considering we were using the wrong antennas, they probably weren't pointing in exactly the right direction, and were only elevated 10 feet. We ran like that for a couple of months, lol.

All of that old junk has long since been replaced. The S-280 Shelter (duce and a half model) has been replaced by the SICPS shelter on the HMMWV chassis and the SINCGARS is even being replaced by VSAT terminals. Most of the battlefield mobile stuff is EPLARS both handheld and base.

I can't say what frequencies they operate on but I can say that it is higher than UHF. There are still nets in the 48 to 80 MHZ slot but not much anymore. The Services are relying more on text messaging than voice comms for a lot of reasons like ease and level of encryption and higher data transfer rates for C2 data. It changes all the time anymore but C2 and C3 are really evolving fast and radios as we recognize them are going by the wayside.
    I'm sorry you don't have the experience or understanding to realize that others possess a skill set that you seem to dismiss as fantastical.