ad: l-assoc
ad: l-tentec
ad: l-WarrenG
ad: l-innov
ad: l-Waters
ad: l-rl
ad: l-gcopper

Exclamation Horse fence for antenna

I have a brainstorm for an HF antenna. I'm limited as to how long a wire I can run for an HF antenna, but I have a 4 strand high tensile wire fence for our horses that covers about 3 acres. The top wire is run through insulators at every post & was connected to a fence charger. The charger no longer works, so it won't be a problem. The fence is continuos, but could be unhooked on one side to make a long wire or split it. If I run coax to the fence, fasten the middle wire to the top fence wire & run the shield wire to the ground, would it work for an HF antenna? My radio has a built in tuner, so it should tune.
    Does anyone know if this would work and does anyone know of someone who has tried this system?
    I would appreciate any any comments or info anyone can provide.
    You can Email me @ Gopreach@lorettotel.net

Thanks & 73,
    Larry KI4JFJ
    Last edited by KI4JFJ; 01-13-2009 at 10:36 PM. Reason: Added Email address.

Interesting concept. It's worth a try and see how it works. The thing I like about ham radio is you get to experiment.

Here's a few thoughts.

1) Your antenna tuner may not have enough range to tune to the fence if indepedence mismatch is too create. Even if it does tune, you will lose quite a bit of signal as it goes back and forth along your coax line.

2) I used electric fence wire in high school because I didn't have enough money for copper clad steel. My antenna didn't work very well (could never get DX, usually only in North America).

3) It's awfully low to the ground so you will lose quite a bit to ground absorption and your angle isn't optimal.

Like I said though, try it and see how it works. I used probably 10 different antennas before I found the one I liked the best.
    Cedar Bluff Engineering
    [URL]http://cedarbluffengineering.webs.com[/URL]

i'm no antenna expert (or even knowledgeable!) but could you run a wire with the fence cut to lenght to make a dipole ?
    would probably perform better.
    73's Chris
    MPDQ
    ------------------------------
    the last thing you do is RTFM !
    then, and only then........
    if in doubt, hit it with something big and heavy
    Solo Cornet - [URL="http://www.driffieldband.com/?num=1"]Driffield Silver Band[/URL]

Depending on your ground conditions, this could either be a moderately effective Rhombic of sorts, or a worm toaster. I'd say try it and see.

eric
    "The more you know, the less you don't know."

Default fence wire antenna

Yes it will work, if it is long enuff.

Insulate the two ends from each other so it appears (electrically) to be a random length wire. It will have a high ange of radiation but who cares? At the onset load at low power to make sure it in fact a random length (electrically). If it is too short (electrically) it may not be friendly to your transmitter.
    n0aih

It might make a very effective receiving antenna, particularly for the lower bands. I suspect it's too low to be an efficient transmitting antenna, but you might be pleasantly surprised.

I once had a 160 meter loop, not too high off the ground. It produced 'pipeline' results to stations in Michigan, and pretty much nowhere else. It didn't work well at all on the higher bands.

You might also consider using it as a counterpoise for a vertical. If you could devise some switching, the loop might be a killer low-noise 80 and 160 meter antenna, and the vertical would be a great antenna for transmitting on those bands.
    EchoLink, IRLP, Allstar and DSTAR linking - adding interest to repeaters worldwide 24X7

Quote Originally Posted by K0RGR View Post
    It might make a very effective receiving antenna, particularly for the lower bands. I suspect it's too low to be an efficient transmitting antenna, but you might be pleasantly surprised.

I once had a 160 meter loop, not too high off the ground. It produced 'pipeline' results to stations in Michigan, and pretty much nowhere else. It didn't work well at all on the higher bands.

You might also consider using it as a counterpoise for a vertical. If you could devise some switching, the loop might be a killer low-noise 80 and 160 meter antenna, and the vertical would be a great antenna for transmitting on those bands.
    RGR:

There was a time, once upon a time, when I believed you couldn't possibly make an antenna too long. I had to modify that opinion when I loaded up a 420' broadcast tower on 160. (I was chief engineer of KJNP at the time...1170KHZ, and I had access to it after hours).

That monster didn't work worth BEANS on 160....it was pretty much a longwire straight up! Had MUCH better results....EVERYWHERE....with my 80 ft tall inverted L.

Eric

Default Barb wire

We loaded up a barb wire fence at field day one year. It should work results may not be fantastic, but it is worth a try. I guess you could place the horse against it to tune to different wavelengths. Let us know how it works.

Quote Originally Posted by ac5de View Post
    We loaded up a barb wire fence at field day one year. It should work results may not be fantastic, but it is worth a try. I guess you could place the horse against it to tune to different wavelengths. Let us know how it works.
    That should stirrup some activity.

It will "work" but no telling how well until you try. I agree with others that your rig's auto tuner might not have enough range to tune it but a manual tuner should
    There are sheep. There are wolves who prey on the sheep. There are sheepdogs who protect the sheep from the wolves. God protect those of us who are sheepdogs.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast