Callsign

Thread: unknown crystal - how do you find frequency?

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-assoc
ad: l-tentec
ad: l-rl
ad: l-innov
ad: l-WarrenG
ad: l-sarc
ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-Waters

Default unknown crystal - how do you find frequency?

I found a crystal lying in my junk box, but it doesn't have the frequency stamped on it, just a part number: 16AKSS7CT.

Is it decipherable, or is there a way to figure out the crystal's resonant freq?

You can build a simple oscillator and then measure the output frequency with a counter. Also, you can connect the pins together with a loop of wire and then use a grid dip oscillator to excite the crystal and measure the frequency with a counter.

Glen, K9STH

Quote Originally Posted by KE7HQY View Post
    I found a crystal lying in my junk box, but it doesn't have the frequency stamped on it, just a part number: 16AKSS7CT.

Is it decipherable, or is there a way to figure out the crystal's resonant freq?
    1) Put it in an oscillator and see what frequency it runs at.
    2) Throw it on a network analyzer.
    3) Stimulate with with a nanosecond or faster pulse and examine ringing of the crystal resonator with a laser interferometer (no, not really, though it should work-- grin).

Cortland
    KA5S

Quote Originally Posted by K9STH View Post
    You can build a simple oscillator and then measure the output frequency with a counter. Also, you can connect the pins together with a loop of wire and then use a grid dip oscillator to excite the crystal and measure the frequency with a counter.

Glen, K9STH
    Ain't that a DEVO song?

"When a crystal comes along
    You must dip it"
    Dip it good!

If you don't have a GDO, the MFJ SWR Analyzer can be used with an optional coil set too.

plug it into a test osc circuit and find the signal on a gen coverge receiver.
    73.....JD, FISTS #3853,cc 455,SKCC # 1395,tribune #12,
    Official US Taxpayer

Beautiful Downtown Colorado. (Montrose, SW corner)

You can also find it with an rf signal generator. I think most of the listed methods will find the fundamental freq, but some xtals are are optimized for a "harmonic" frequency generation.

TOM K8ERV Montrose Colo