ad: l-WarrenG
ad: l-innov
ad: l-tentec
ad: l-Waters
ad: l-rl
ad: l-gcopper

Question MFJ DSP Filter

Hello,

I have huge QRN problem at my home and wanted to buy some item that can cancel these noise. On the internet, I found W9GR's DSP-3 but this is not produced any more. Also, I found MFJ-784B. I don't know if this is right thing for me.
    Is any one using Deluxe Tunable DSP Filter MFJ-784B. If so, please share your opinion on this item.

Thanks and 73s
    Bat, jt1cs
    Last edited by JT1CS; 01-11-2009 at 02:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jt1cs View Post
    Hello,

I have huge QRN problem at my home and wanted to buy some item that can cancel these noise. On the internet, I found W9GR's DSP-3 but this is not produced any more. Also, I found MFJ-784B. I don't know if this is right thing for me.
    Is any one using Deluxe Tunable DSP Filter MFJ-784B. If so, please share your opinion on this item.

Thanks and 73s
    Bat, jt1cs

My friend, non of these filters will help you to get rid of the QRN as you have stated here, I have tried several filters but with no success at all.

Mind also if these filters help to reduce the noise your get they will never get rid of it compeletly, and it is also counted on dropping your gain.

The best to get rid of the QRN in your place is to trace the source which is causing it, things like water pumps, light dimmers, electronics stuff, stero amplifers or wofers and so on.

Some time you have to switch off each section of your home main distribution system one by one and check if the qrn stop or not untill you come to source.

I have qrn caused by my electrical generator when I am out home on portable activities, now, I have grounded the electrical generator and also provided adequet grounding for my rig plus my power input to the rig I have installed an IC-power supply filter, it did help in this case but not much.

You also have to check for near by possible things which could cause qrn in your place, like street lighting or a near by dstribution transfomers and boards.

Good Luck my friend and 73

Default try a JPS

JPS used to make the NIR 10 and NIR 12 audio DSP filters. If you can find one, buy it. I have both and they can turn a noisy signal into comfortable copy. I have no experience with the MFJ model.

That being said, it can only work so well. It is better to locate and reduce the noise. I have had the power company in the neighborhood over the years to fix arcs. I have multiple antennas to select from for receiving. Still, it is difficult but NO filter can recover a signal that is way below the noise level.
    Bob
    SKCC #12717

Hi Rashed.

Thank you for sharing your experiensies and opinion. I leave very close to Power distributor. That may causing this QRN. Also, all other electical units. I will follow your counsil. And will let you know the result.

Thanks and 73s
    Bat
    Last edited by JT1CS; 01-13-2009 at 04:08 AM.

Hi Bob. You and Rashed are right. I will trace for noise maker.
    Thanks for your counsil.

73s
    Bat