ad: l-assoc
ad: l-WarrenG
ad: l-rl
ad: l-tentec
ad: l-innov
ad: l-Waters
ad: l-gcopper

Default Power Supply for ICOM 718

I have read and heard bad news about ICOM's PS 125. What power supply should I buy for my ICOM 718?

Thanks & 73!

KB8OVK Guest

Quote Originally Posted by nvaught View Post
    I have read and heard bad news about ICOM's PS 125. What power supply should I buy for my ICOM 718?

Thanks & 73!
    I have the IC-718 and use an Astron RS 20A I bought new in 1993. It is a 20 Amp supply and does well even when running the radio at 100 Watts. I do only CW and have had no problems with it tripping or blowing fuses. It has no meters on it but I hook my DVM to the output terminals and can monitor 13.8 volts during operation. Astron also makes models with the meters and it never hurts to go for the 35 Amp model. A little extra reserve never hurts. Not saying it is the best out there but it is the only one I know anything about and has served me well.

http://www.astroncorp.com/linear.shtml

Good luck,
    KB8OVK

Thanks & 73!
    I had the same question when I was looking at purchasing either an Icom 718 or the Yaesu 450. I was adviced by quite a few local hams that I know that the Samlex 1223 (13.8vdc/ 23 amp) switching supply was a good choice.
    Cheaper than the Icom PS 125 but very similar. I have been told that it is one of the more reliable power supplies out there.
    Here is a link from one of the on-line radio retailers with the information about this particular power supply:
    http://www.gigaparts.com/store.php?a...u=ZSX-SEC-1223
    Hope that helps!
    Best to you and...Merry Christmas!!!

Default Power Supply

Thanks to you both. I will check these out.

Merry Christmas!

Niles (waiting for call sign, passed the general on Saturday!)

Thanks & 73!
    I also have an IC-718. I use a Astron RS-50M supply. Never had a problem with the rig running a full 100 watts. So, you can see there are choices you can make.
    Congrats on your recent testing.
    Last edited by k8ceb; 12-24-2008 at 01:35 AM.
    Different Strokes for Different Folks

I run an Astron RS-35M and have not had any issues since I bought both items.
    Thanks & 73,
    W6ONV Stephen
    Transmitting from [URL="http://www.the6thfloor.com"][COLOR="Red"]The 6th Floor[/COLOR][/URL]
    [URL="http://www.nccc.cc/"][COLOR="Orange"]Northern California Contest Club[/color][/URL] / [URL="http://www.arrl.org/arrlvec/"]ARRL VE[/URL]

Default Power Supply?

I have the ICOM 718 and I use the Samlex 1235M 30 AMP. switching power supply and so far so good.
    73, John.
    Too quickly the time has passed us by---
    Now it is time to say good bye.

Default IC-718 Power Supply

Nvaught,

Don't know about the Icom P.S. but I have a Kenwood TS-450SAT that puts out no more than 100 watts. I have a Kenwood P.S. that provides 22 amps so I would venture a guess that a P.S. capable of providing 20-25 amps should work fine. Your radio's manual should provide you this info. The current brochure indicates 13.8 volts, 20.0 amps. Good luck to you. By the way, you are using a rig with a rating of 4.7 out of 5 so you have a great radio for sure at a decent price.

Bob
    N7SGM

Thanks & 73!
    Nothing wrong with the PS-125.... run one on my 718 and ProIII. Prior to that, I used a RatShack switcher PS on the 718 with nary a problem.

Mojo

Default My thoughts

Here are my observations as a fairly new ham (less than 10 years).

1. Buy a bigger supply than you think you'll need. I wouldn't buy anything less than 25A and I recommend a 35A or larger so you can power multiple radios (e.g. hf and vhf) and accessories without needing several supplies.

2. Linear supplies are heavier but are very reliable and great in a dedicated station that is not constantly moved around. I own three Astrons: RS-12A, RS-35A, and VS-35M. They have various ratings and options and varying ages up to 20 years but each works well and only one has needed any repair. All three were purchased used from $20-$100. Linear supplies are also easy to repair and troubleshoot.

3. Switch mode supplies are better than they used to be. I've only ever used a friend's Astron switcher with meters (I think it was 25A). I have a good friend and elmer who uses the PS-125 with his ICOM 756 Pro III because it came with it as a promo offer. He's never had a problem with it. He has all top notch gear including an ICOM 775 DSP, ICOM 910, Alpha linears, Palstar AT-4K, and numerous other boat anchors and goodies. His other supply is an Astron RS-70A and powers all gear requiring 13.8V except the aforementioned Pro III. I know two other hams who use the PS-125 to power ICOM 746 radios with no issues.

I hope this helps guide you in making your decisions. Unless money is very tight try to get the best you can afford. Otherwise it'll come back and bite you down the road. That also applies to other ham gear such as tuners and antennas and amps. Merry Christmas and best regards.

Jeff

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast