ad: l-assoc
ad: l-innov
ad: l-rl
ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-WarrenG
ad: l-Waters
ad: l-tentec

Default anyone built a 5/8 vertical for 10m

I looking for plans to build a 5/8 wave vertical for 10m. I keep thinking I will
    find a old CB 5/8 to convert at some yardsale or fleamarket but havent so far so
    and after having success building a colinear vertical for vhf now im ready to
    try again. Im trying to pickup a local traders net on 28.375, most checkins are in a 40 mile radius, I added a 10m leg to my HF dipole but signals to the sides are very very weak. I could easily build a 1/4wave but my thinking is a 5/8 with longer element would receiver much better.

It just might. Try it and see.
    Semper ubi sub ubi. 73
    K7KBN CWO4 USNR Ret.

Here's one for $80...probably not a bad deal considering the cost of aluminum.

http://www.gijoesradioelectronics.co...idCategory=152

WB2WIK/6

Quote Originally Posted by n4aeq View Post
    I looking for plans to build a 5/8 wave vertical for 10m. I keep thinking I will
    find a old CB 5/8 to convert at some yardsale or fleamarket but havent so far so
    try again. Im trying to pickup a local traders net on 28.375, most checkins are in a 40 mile radius, I added a 10m leg to my HF dipole but signals to the sides are very very weak. I could easily build a 1/4wave but my thinking is a 5/8 with longer element would receiver much better.

CB antennas work fine for 10 with just a smidge of tweaking.
    "The more you know, the less you don't know."

I was given a Imax 2000 with the ground radials from a cb station that quit.

With just a bit extra ground wires it works fine on 10/12/15/17

Working that like years, so i can choose between the OCF and the vertical

Any cb 5/8 will work on 10 meters, just keep it a few inches shorter.
    Licensed since 1977

I knew a ham once who used a 5/8 wavelength CB antenna, a Shakespeare Big Stick, to work 10 meters and had good luck with it, working DX all over on it using a 25 watt Uniden HR2510. Of course, this was back around 1989 when the sunspots were higher than now. To answer your question, yes, it can be done.

Jonathan Helis, KB5IAV
    Baton Rouge, Louisiana, USA

Default 10M antenna plans

Don't know if this helps you any or not but I have plans for a 10 meter J-Pole on my website. This is by far the best 10 meter antenna I have ever built.

Get the plans at http://www.kc0tks.org/index.php?opti...=103&Itemid=42

KCTKS
    Roger Rodger. What's our vector Victor?

Default Thanks for the reply your 10m J pole

Looks like the kind of project I would like to try, the webpage has great closeup
    photos. I had thought of a 10m J pole before but alot of post say you have
    to isolate a J pole from all metal or it wont work. Guess you have actually done
    it and it works so this maybe my project for the coming Holidays.

Default Maco V-58

I've been using a Maco V-58 for about 4 years, two of which was on CB. It worked great for CB and when I shortened it for 10m, its working better than ever. I used to use it a bunch for ground wave, but it even works great for DX. I've never needed more than 100w, most of the time just a 25w HTX-10 will do the trick.

A local store was selling them for $65 back then, not sure on the price now, but I know they still offer them. Maco makes some fine antennas, and all aluminum construction. PM me for the local store number.

Quote Originally Posted by n4aeq View Post

I have just built a 5/8 vertical antenna for 17m band with help from some antenna modeling software and ARRL antenna books.

It does not work as good as i though (but it should outperform my 1/2 wave dipole also monobander for 17m) as the 5/8 vertical take-off angle is much more lower.

Anyway, im still confused about the radials sizes, im using 1/4 elevated radials (as the antenna is on the buildings roof).

According to software, the antenna will perform better with full wave size radials, also at 1/2 wave high.

I wonder if anyone has some experience or opinios regarding improving my homemade antenna?

Its nicely matched with a tapped coil, it presents a low swr, but as we all now, this means nothing, even a dummy load will do.

Im looking for good performance like 3.3dBi and around 16 angle elevation.

Any thoughts???

Cheers in advance,

Miguel

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast