ad: l-assoc
ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-Waters
ad: l-rl
ad: l-innov
ad: l-tentec
ad: l-WarrenG

Default alinco DR-635

Hi all, is there a mod to open up the Alinco DR-635? Thank you for looking. Gwil

This is my favorite part of the forum,

Here is what I found, mod at your own risk!

Open bottom of radio.

In the corner toward the control head (microphone jack side) you will easily see a blue wire loop. Simply snip the wire or unsolder one end.

Put the radio back together.

Hold the FUNC button while holding the PWR button for 1 sec. to do full reset.

Radio will have extended coverage - Note: you will lose all previously programmed memories, etc.
    The universe is a pretty big place. If it's just us, seems like an awful waste of space.

Thank you for reply I will give it a go soon. Gwil

Quote Originally Posted by mw3wmp View Post
    Hi all, is there a mod to open up the Alinco DR-635? Thank you for looking. Gwil

Hi there, could you please be kind enough to tell me the result of this mod?

What is the new RX range?

Cheers and thanks,

Luis

The new rx goes to at as far as the receive. I had this golden-screwdriver unit lent to me that I as quickly as possible returned to the owner.
    Corey, KC2UGV

Quote Originally Posted by KC2UGV View Post
    The new rx goes to at as far as the receive. I had this golden-screwdriver unit lent to me that I as quickly as possible returned to the owner.
    Hi there, I was thinking that RX ment receiving, so the mod is for the TX (transmition) in order to TX where the RX goes (?).

Could you please tell me the meaning of "golden-screwdriver unit" ? This means that you don't like the radio?

[EDIT: I just love google... golden-screwdriver unit" stands for "You realized someone before you has already touched the radio/circuit you're working on." isn't it?]

Cheers

Luis AKA CT2FZI
    Last edited by CT2FZI; 05-12-2009 at 04:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CT2FZI View Post
    Hi there, I was thinking that RX ment receiving, so the mod is for the TX (transmition) in order to TX where the RX goes (?).

Could you please tell me the meaning of "golden-screwdriver unit" ? This means that you don't like the radio?

Cheers

Luis AKA CT2FZI
    I apologize. A little too much use of slang.

Yes, the modification makes the transceiver be able to transmit anywhere it is able to receive at. It does not (as far as I know) expand the receiver's limits.

And the "golden screwdriver part" doesn't show a dislike of the radio, but it was lent to me as a new ham, not totally positive of band limits. And I found it to be very easy to transmit on public safety frequencies that are in my area.
    Corey, KC2UGV

Ah yap thats it.

I edited my previous reply/question with my google result. I am not used to these exquisite english sentences, so I thank you for your explanation.

But what did you thought about the radio?

Just bought one, barely used (invoice from 02/2009) for 225 euros.

Luis, CT2FZI

I liked it. Easy to use, easy to program lit up buttons. Definitely liked it, I was just averse to being able to transmit where I shouldn't be. Personal preference.

A slight issue I had was a hum when it was turned on cold. Went away after about 15 minutes or power. But that was it.

Quote Originally Posted by CT2FZI View Post
    Ah yap thats it.

I edited my previous reply/question with my google result. I am not used to these exquisite english sentences, so I thank you for your explanation.

But what did you thought about the radio?

Just bought one, barely used (invoice from 02/2009) for 225 euros.

Luis, CT2FZI
    Corey, KC2UGV

10. Default

Quote Originally Posted by mw3wmp View Post
    Did the mod you were given work?

Doesn't sound at all right - I had a DR-635E and the wideband RX (and matched wideband TX) was opened up by removing a surface mount diode. Likewise, crossband repeater was enabled the same way, with another surface mount diode.

The 'snip blue wire' is for an older model than the one I had.