Callsign
ad: tentec
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: convert cb antenna to ham multiband?

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-assoc
ad: l-rl
ad: l-tentec
ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-innov
ad: l-Waters
ad: l-WarrenG

Default convert cb antenna to ham multiband?

I have a cb antenna similar looking to the Cushcraft AR6 vertical(about same height). It has the tuner ring at the bottom. How, if any can I convert it to at least a 6 band amatuer antenna? I am limited for radial space but height is no problem, I have a Yeasu 857D HF radio with auto tuner but don't have HF antenna only 2meter/440 homebrew. Since this antenna is just laying in the garage and doing nothing I figured I could convert it to do ham frequencies. Any help would be appreciated. My "shack" is on the 3rd floor of 2 family house, have many overhanging tree limbs and really don't have the leasure in doing a long wire, would have to be end fed do to the location of shack. I really don't want to spend any cash for an antenna, I would rather make one, if I can.
    Thanks in advance for any help

KB1QNU
    73's

Default CB antenna for multi HF frequencies

I use a CB designed antenna for a ten meter beacon....... but, I have found that it will also tune 17, 15 & 12 meters with an external tuner........
    The rings are a bit sensitive for the original adjustment but once adjusted seems to stay there. The antenna is an Antron 99 and is about the same height as the Cushcraft that You describe.
    Last edited by WJ5O; 11-07-2008 at 07:58 PM. Reason: grammer
    73 Bill WJ5O/BCN 28.289 MHz

If you have a very good RF ground system you could use it as the top portion of an end fed system. Run a wire up to it and tune it using an external tuner not the one in your radio, it doesn't have sufficient impedance range.

The only othe suggestion would be to connect ground radials and connect an SGC auto tuner to it. The bands covered will be limited by the length of the radiator.

It can probably be made to work on 10 meters with very little modification.
    I'm sorry you don't have the experience or understanding to realize that others possess a skill set that you seem to dismiss as fantastical.

If you use this old CB vertical as part of a longer antenna, if you can extend it to about 31 ft , used with an ATU you could use it on 40, 30, 20, and 15 metres but it would require a counterpoise radial to be efficient.

G0GQK

Quote Originally Posted by G0GQK View Post
    If you use this old CB vertical as part of a longer antenna, if you can extend it to about 31 ft , used with an ATU you could use it on 40, 30, 20, and 15 metres but it would require a counterpoise radial to be efficient.
    If he extends it to 123 feet, he can use it on 160m.
    73, Cecil, www.w5dxp.com
    Can CO2 emissions save us from the coming ice age?

Sounds like you have an AR10 or a CB Ringo which is not much different and may be the same antenna. Cushcraft makes the Ringo for 2, 6, 10 and CB. They are all called Ringo's. You can probably tweak it as it is for 10, 12, and maybe 15 meters but that is probably about it and then only have it set up for one of those bands at a time unless you use a tuner. It cannot realistically be modified to be used as a 5 or 6 band vertical like a Hustler 4-BTV or similar trapped vertical antenna. You can use a tuner and get it to work to some degree on other bands perhaps but I wouldn't expect much in the way of performance at all. I would look for something else for the other bands depending on what you may have room for and/or budget for.
    One of the big problems I see people have when making the transition from CB to the ham bands is that they are used to one rather simple to install antenna that covers everything they want to do on CB. It is not quite so simple on the various ham bands. I used a Hustler 5BTV in the ground with no radials as a Novice and had a blast with it even as inefficient as it was.

I have a Yaesu FT-60R could i connect my old CB antenna to it for use on the 2m ,440 bands the antennas is a simple Radioshack antenna

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by n1bru View Post
    I have a cb antenna similar looking to the Cushcraft AR6 vertical(about same height). It has the tuner ring at the bottom. How, if any can I convert it to at least a 6 band amatuer antenna? I am limited for radial space but height is no problem, I have a Yeasu 857D HF radio with auto tuner but don't have HF antenna only 2meter/440 homebrew. Since this antenna is just laying in the garage and doing nothing I figured I could convert it to do ham frequencies. Any help would be appreciated. My "shack" is on the 3rd floor of 2 family house, have many overhanging tree limbs and really don't have the leasure in doing a long wire, would have to be end fed do to the location of shack. I really don't want to spend any cash for an antenna, I would rather make one, if I can.
    Thanks in advance for any help

KB1QNU
    73's
    I once used just such a Cushcraft CB antenna on HF. Here's what you do:

1) Remove the ring and all of the parts associated to it with the exception of the SO-239 (the Female PL-259 connector)

2) Adjust the length of the radiator so that it does not present a multiple of a quarter-wave on any frequency upon which you intend to operate (23-Ft. [7-m] is a good length).

3) Place an outdoor weatherproof antenna tuning unit as close to the bottom of the antenna as possible, include the length of any hook-up wire from the ATU to the radiator in your length calculations and adjust the antenna length accordingly.

4) Run at least three radials from the base of the antenna (the ground connection on the ATU) as long as possible; the more the better, the longer the better, resonant radials are best, but not necessary.

5) Route a run of decent (RG-8 size or larger) coaxial transmission line along with the ATU control cable(s) from the ATU to your operating position and connect to your transceiver and if necessary the ATU control box.

6) Adjust the transmit frequency to a portion of the band where you have privaleges, allow the automatic ATU to adjust to match the radiator to the transmission line, key mic and intone "CQ, CQ, CQ, this is N1BRU".

Perhaps I'll see you down the log.
    Last edited by KA0GKT; 01-03-2009 at 11:17 PM. Reason: Typo
    73 DE KAGKT/7

--Steve

Western Michigan. Great summers but nasty winters.

Quote Originally Posted by KI6UMH View Post
    I have a Yaesu FT-60R could i connect my old CB antenna to it for use on the 2m ,440 bands the antennas is a simple Radioshack antenna
    Release the hounds!
    Mark, K8MHZ

Quote Originally Posted by KI6UMH View Post
    That depends on how badly you want to release the magic smoke trapped inside your radio.
    ECHOLINK NODE#401099

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast