ad: l-innov
ad: l-tentec
ad: l-Heil
ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-rl

Contribute
to QRZ

Default rigid conduit vs galv pipe

Does anyone know the strength difference between rigid conduit and galavanized pipe? I need to make up a mount for a rotor and a roof tripod and I found that the heavy duty mast that Rat Shack sells is too small. The rotor takes 1.5 -2.5 inch pipe. I'm guessing the pipe I have is maybe 1.25 OD. It looks like rigid conduit or galv pipe has a size that puts me right in the middle, just wondering if there's an advantage of using one over the other.

Eric
    KR8K

Rigid conduit is smoother, at least on the inside, than galvanized pipe. I assume the reason is to facilitate pulling wires through it. I don't know if there is any difference in mechanical properties (strength, etc).

Rigid conduit is significantly more expensive than galvanized pipe.
    73, Ron KR2D

Galvanized pipe will be stronger than conduit because it's schedule (or gauge) is thicker.

Default Why not try antenna mast material?

Tubing is all application specific from fence posts to gas pipes, to electrical conduit, etc.

Almost all of it is designed to be bent by a tubing bender, which means it's not particularly strong, it just suits the originally intended application.

Antenna mast material is designed to have very high strength and resistance to compression and bending -- just the opposite of conduit. It's normally rated in the 40,000 psi to 90,000 psi yield strength range, which is ten times (or more) what you can get from most "pipe" materials found at Home Depot, etc.

Again, it's application-specific.

I use actual "antenna mast" material and have had installations up for 30+ years without service, through very high winds, icing, etc. It's not sold at Radio Shack, or at Lowe's, but is easily found if you look for it. Texas Towers, among others, stocks the good stuff.

WB2WIK/6

Use galvanised scaffold poles - very very strong, can withstand loads of lateral force without bending, can clamp tight without the wall collapsing and will last forever. .

Pete

Quote Originally Posted by M3KXZ View Post
    Use galvanised scaffold poles - very very strong, can withstand loads of lateral force without bending, can clamp tight without the wall collapsing and will last forever. .

Pete
    And weigh a ton. But you're right....
    "The more you know, the less you don't know."