ad: l-assoc
ad: l-tentec
ad: l-Waters
ad: l-innov
ad: l-rl
ad: l-WarrenG
ad: l-gcopper

Default ATAS-120 and counterpoise question

Hi everyone. I've looked and have found tidbits of information but nothing specifically
    touching this topic. I'm a new general and until funds are back in line (just bought a
    857d and 817nd so money is tight) I would like to use one antenna for both base
    and mobile. I do not expect to use mobile a lot but would like the option to be there
    if needed. I've decided to give the Yaesu ATAS-120 a go. Eventually, when funds are available, I'll
    use the ATAS on the car as a permanent solution and get a dedicated base antenna. I am looking
    at the Diamond CP5H but that's another topic.

My feeble understanding is that if I would like to use the 120 as a base antenna
    that I need a good counterpoise system. I am interested in 12, 20, and 40 meters.
    Now what I don't quite understand is the best way to set this counterpoise system
    up. What I *think* would be acceptable is this:

8 wires cut at 34 ft connected together at the base of the antenna and spread
    out evenly in a 360 pattern. This would be for 40 meter.

Do the same for 20 except cut for 17.5 ft then another 10.2 ft for 12 meter. This
    would have a total of 24 wires in a 360 pattern around the antenna and connected
    to the base.

Would this work or am I totally off here? If it would work does anyone have any
    pictures of their setup? That would give me a lot of ideas on how to do mine.

Thanks and 73s,
    Robert KD0CRU

The FT-817ND will not work with ATAS-120.

Quote Originally Posted by KG6OPR View Post
    The FT-817ND will not work with ATAS-120.
    The 857D will. The 817nd will not be used with the 120. I bought both.

(Edit: I have a buddistick on the way for the 817)
    Last edited by KD0CRU; 10-02-2008 at 03:51 PM.

The ATAS is designed to be a mobile antenna so you don't need full sized radials for 40 meters. Think about the average car. It's about 6X20 feet. If you are going to use it as a base antenna you should elevate it as much as possible and use half a dozen or more 20 foot radials. It will tune just like it should but there's a catch. A mobile antenna is not very efficient so don't expect great results.

Good luck with it.

As an aside, for a lot less than you will spend on the ATAS 120, you can get a set of Hamsticks for the car, a tuner, and build a wire antenna for your fixed station. Make a dipole any length that you have space for, the longer the better. Feed it with 300 or 450 ohm ladder line and buy yourself an inexpensive tuner that will tune balanced line. This will work about a hundred times better than the ATAS for fixed operation and depending on the length should load up on most bands. Even an end fed wire will work much better than the ATAS in a fixed station application.

I know the ATAS is sexy but it is a compromise antenna to put it mildly and the hamsticks will probably out perform it. You just have to get out of the car to change bands.
    Last edited by KA4DPO; 10-01-2008 at 09:47 PM.
    I'm sorry you don't have the experience or understanding to realize that others possess a skill set that you seem to dismiss as fantastical.

KA4DPO,

Thanks a bunch. You've given me what I need.

I'm still debating on the dipole. I'll need to measure and see if there is enough room to make the runs I need.
    I agree with the hamsticks. The purchase is still a few months away though and I'll have time to decide whether I go sticks or ATAS for mobile. The big downside is, of course, having to manually tune.

Thanks!
    Robert

Just purchase an atbk-100 counterpose kit for the atas-120. The radials are already cut to lenght. If you want I have one that came with my 120, that I purchase off of ebay. I have no intention of using it a base, unless I took a trip and worked from a hotel balcony. As if the xyl would go for that. If you are interested in the counterpose kit email me "ke5kcn@bellsouth.net"

I haven't found the counterpoise kit sold by Yaesu to be worth a flip. You can have mine, if you come get it! (Besides, seems like it was for the higher bands anyway.)

I have aluminum gutters on my house, attached an automotive L-bracket to the center of the gutter and mounted the ATAS on there. Cool, it worked! Getting it to tune on 40M was twitchy, it kept missing the dip so I had to tune it manually. But it worked.

I'll also suggest putting up a dipole connected to a tuner. What I can hear with that is vastly superior to what the ATAS will do.

And yes, you could use the ATAS with an 817 if you wanted to. The 817 won't auto-tune it, no, but MFJ sells a little box to go in the coax line with an up/down button on it to manually tune the antenna.

You are intending to use the antenna mobile and at home. Firstly you don't need a mile of wire to make all those counterpoise radials. Make a support for the antenna about 4-5 feet above earth, cut two quarter wave radials for each band and connect them to the ground on the antenna and place them as best you can 180 degrees apart for each band. feed the antenna five feet above ground with RG58 coax and put about six 12 inch coils in the coax at the feed point and see what happens. An antenna doesn't have to be 60 feet above earth to work, but it works better up there.

G0GQK

Quote Originally Posted by KD0CRU View Post
    Hi everyone. I've looked and have found tidbits of information but nothing specifically
    touching this topic. I'm a new general and until funds are back in line (just bought a
    857d and 817nd so money is tight) I would like to use one antenna for both base
    and mobile. I do not expect to use mobile a lot but would like the option to be there
    if needed. I've decided to give the Yaesu ATAS-120 a go. Eventually, when funds are available, I'll
    use the ATAS on the car as a permanent solution and get a dedicated base antenna. I am looking
    at the Diamond CP5H but that's another topic.

My feeble understanding is that if I would like to use the 120 as a base antenna
    that I need a good counterpoise system. I am interested in 12, 20, and 40 meters.
    Now what I don't quite understand is the best way to set this counterpoise system
    up. What I *think* would be acceptable is this:

8 wires cut at 34 ft connected together at the base of the antenna and spread
    out evenly in a 360 pattern. This would be for 40 meter.

Do the same for 20 except cut for 17.5 ft then another 10.2 ft for 12 meter. This
    would have a total of 24 wires in a 360 pattern around the antenna and connected
    to the base.

Would this work or am I totally off here? If it would work does anyone have any
    pictures of their setup? That would give me a lot of ideas on how to do mine.

Thanks and 73s,
    Robert KD0CRU

My friend, ATAS-120 will work mobile with FT-857, but again like any screwdriver antenna, these ones are very sensitive and not a very good ones at all times, more over the might possibly tune on one band and not the other, I have give the big High Sierra 1800 with its all 8 legs redials and base, ok it did tune on 14 and 40 but thats it, never tuned on the other bands.

I have tried tarheel Little II, that one was a disaster by all means as a mobile.

I have also the ATAS-120 along with the FT-857 just the same story.

Look to this my friend and think before you let your money go to the drain.

I am now using some cheal mono band antennas for mobile and also using them for portable activities>

40m, treid many time now and it is superb, all over QSL, Eu, State Side, Asia and Africa.

30M is the same high quality signals receiving and sending.

20M also the same

17M just as good as the other ones.

15M another great example of a cheap mono bander.

10M tuning perfect to this band and managed to do many contacts.

6 mono bands will cost 14 USA dollars and they are shipped to you from the state, which means you are not going to pay a lot like what I did for the postage.

Remember screwdrivers, are so deligate and sensitive when you try to tune them, that due to many factors.

I lost a lot of fun because of them while away from home, but enjoyed great QSO'S with those small cheap mono banders, they take less than 3 mints to change from one to another while the base is also small one and light and very accessable.

The rest is your to decide my friend and wishing you all of the best

Check out this link.
    http://www.ae7q.net/doc/public/ATAS-120.php

I set my 120A up a little different but with the same radial and made many contacts. The 857D worked great with this setup. I use this for camping and other outdoor activities.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast