ad: l-assoc
ad: l-rl
ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-WarrenG
ad: l-Waters
ad: l-innov
ad: l-tentec

Default Qsl etiquette?????

What is the best way to send and receive QSL cards? Is it okay to send out a card by just putting a stamp on it and dropping it the mailbox? I have been sending mine out this way, but most reply cards I get are sent in envelopes. It costs a lot more money to send them that way, so why do most people do it like that?

Also, now that I am working DX, what is the best way to handle cards to foreign countries?

Thanks for your help!

Patrick
    N8VM

Either way is fine, it's your stamps. Special event stations will often use envelopes so that the QSL or certificate stays pristine for display purposes. Personally, I think the postmarks and stamps add to the authenticity, character and validate the card.

For DX direct QSL'ing again there is no requirement to use envelopes, though considering that it has to be handled by a foreign post office that may be confused, perhaps that might be better. If using the Bureau, most people will save up a stack of cards and send them together to save money.

BTW, thanks for carrying on the QSL card tradition "The final courtesy".

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by n8vm View Post
    What is the best way to send and receive QSL cards? Is it okay to send out a card by just putting a stamp on it and dropping it the mailbox?
    The post office often (maybe always) prints a bar code on the card. Sometimes, they use a long, thin, bar code sticker. That will obliterate any info that happens to be under it, possibly rendering the card useless for awards purposes. It's annoying when they do that to QSLs. It was even more annoying when they ruined a hand drawn postcard that my daughter sent home from her camping trip this summer.
    73, Ron KR2D

There seem to be a few people who complain about receiving a QSL card postcard style. But generally, these same people don't complain if you don't send them any QSL card at all, so it doesn't quite seem rational.

I actually prefer to receive them postcard style. The stamp and postmark lend more legitimacy, it seems to me.

Partly, it boils down to what your motivation is. If you know the other station doesn't really need or want your card, and you are just sending it in order to request their card, then you really ought to send it in an envelope, with a self-addressed stamped envelope. This is particularly true if the other station gets a lot of requests.

On the other hand, if you simply think the other guy would like your card, then by all means feel free to send it as a postcard.

Quote Originally Posted by n8vm View Post
    What is the best way to send and receive QSL cards? Is it okay to send out a card by just putting a stamp on it and dropping it the mailbox? I have been sending mine out this way, but most reply cards I get are sent in envelopes. It costs a lot more money to send them that way, so why do most people do it like that?

Also, now that I am working DX, what is the best way to handle cards to foreign countries?

Thanks for your help!

Patrick
    N8VM
    While others may disagree:

If you have any hope or receiving a QSL in return, or have any respect for the other station, DO NOT send a QSL card as a "post card," regardless of any agreement made on the air. TWO reasons:

1. Such cards can and often do get mangled in the process
    2. Current Postal Service procedures often add routing barcodes and other printing that can obscure or even obliterate critical contact information or other aspects of your card on either side.
    If you ARE going to send a QSL Card in the first place, use an envelope and spend the few extra cents. You'll both appreciate it in the long run.

For domestic contacts, since they are often "routine," many operators don't send QSL cards unless requested. (Few Amateurs need ANOTHER California or New York QSL card for any award...) If you want a QSL for a domestic contact (meaning within the 48 lower U.S. States; HI and AK are still considered DX by many, and in some respects, rightly so) it's best to ask about the response while on the air. Some Amateurs just do not send out QSL cards, but they will usually be quite ready to admit that, so while you may wish to send a card, don't expect a return.
    Other operators may say they will return a card if they receive one. Again, they fall into two (actually three... no four) categories:

1. Those that will send a QSL when they receive yours.
    2. Those that will request a SASE (Self-Adressed, Stamped Envelope) along with your card. If you really want a card in return, you will be best advised to do as they say, and send the SASE.
    3. Those that request a SASE but will (perhaps begrudgingly) send a QSL card anyway.
    4. Those that will not respond no matter what they promise. (There's a certain amusement park in so. California that fits this category...)

But those rules normally apply to individual stations.

Keep in mind, that certain club and special event (SE) stations may respond differently. Special events can generate HUGE demands for QSL cards, and many club or SE stations do not have the funds to respond to hundreds, or thousands of QSL card requests, so they may quite frankly demand at least a SASE, and rightly so. it's not meant to be a personal insult or affront, but merely an attempt to keep the club or special event sponsor from going bankrupt.!

For foreign contacts, look up the call on QRZ or elsewhere, to determine their preferred methed of QSL'ing. Failure to follow their procedure can easily
    result in rejection of your card request, long delays, or even failure of the proper contact person from even receiving your QSL card and request for a card in return.
    There are a few points:

1. Follow specific instructions if they are on QRZ or elsewhere.

2. If an IRC is requested for return, provide an IRC, Other "compensation" may not be honored. Provide a self-addressed envelope(SAE) with the card you send. (IRC=International Reply Coupon, which is SUPPOSED to be redeemable world-wide to cover First Class Postage. Unfortunately, one coupon is no longer sufficient to cover postage from some countries, so you have to check postal rates for DX .)
    3. If the station wants a "green stamp," or two, that's usually considered to be a picture of George Washington (aka a one dollar bill, or $1 USD.) Some countries may request more, as do some Special Event and DXpedition stations. Follow their rules: TWO important considerations:

a.) When sending $USD (aka "cash") be sure to enclose it (usually in your SAE envelope) so that it's NOT visible from the outside of the envelope.

b.) Do NOT in ANY WAY, (either by return address or original address)
    indicate that the mail is addressed to or from an Amateur Radio station, or indicate a callsign for foreign mail. In some countries, there are a few unscrupulous postal employees, and such mail can be a target for theft if cash or other valuable materials are enclosed. Amateur Radio callsigns are a type-off to that fact. So don't put them on any visible correspondence, either way. Just use names or abbreviations if there's no contact person at your QSL's destination.

Others can better advise as to proper processes for using the buros for foreign contacts and QSL's.
    Last edited by WA9SVD; 09-15-2008 at 09:17 PM.

I just knew there must be more to the story. I have received many cards from stateside stations, usually after sending them one first. I do not get bent out of shape if I do not get a return, but I do like to get cards in the mail.Thanks for the input guys.

BTW, my rural post office has no idea what an IRC is. How much do they cost? I have sent a few cards to DX stations, including a SASE and some greenbacks, but that is getting expensive real quick.

IRC's are $ 2 currently, and in some places are virtually impossible to purchase.

I had to get a poster here on QRZ to send me some IRC's a few months ago so I could get a card from a Russian amateur. (Thanks again, Paul)

Even my postmaster REFUSED to try to get IRC's for me. He INSISTED that he
    had received a notice from the PostMaster General that IRC's were no longer produced. Old stock could be sold, but there would be no future shipments on new IRC's.

Of course, he is/was F.O.S.

Stick with the 2 dollars (EXCEPT for cards coming/going to Germany)
    Last I heard, postage from Germany was something like $ 2.75 US, so $ 3 is more appropo.
    Last edited by KB3LIX; 09-16-2008 at 12:39 AM.
    Politicians...Round em up...Drown them all and start over !

I refuse to let the postal service mangle my cards. I only send them in envelopes. I appreciate those who send SASEs and I respond promptly. I receive many unsolicited DX QSLs via the bureau but answer them all via GlobalQSL, which saves time and money. Check it out at GlobalQSL.com.
    73, N4KZ

If someone requests a card during the QSO or sends one, they'll get a reply. Unless the card they send is very special, it immediately goes into File 13. My profile states that I don't collect them.

Domestics are sent as post cards or through the FISTS or SKCC Bureaus. DX goes through the ARRL Bureau or stateside QSL manager.
    Last edited by W4HAY; 09-16-2008 at 01:57 AM.
    "A Republic, if you can keep it" -- Ben Franklin

First, good for you. I really enjoy receiving QSL cards and have thousands but still enjoy receiving them, after 40 plus years of hamming I still check the mail every day to see if another new country has arrived or if I have received a bunch from the bureau. If you are working toward an award then include a SASE for US stations. If you have not done so already get set up with the ARRL Bureau, it will take a while for you to receive the first bunch of cards but if you work DX on a constant basis after a year or so you will receive cards every month and sending the cards out is very resonable. If your in a hurry or work a country that you want to receive the card from in a timely manner then follow their instructions on QRZ.com, if there are no instructions then send a self addressed envelope with 2 bucks or an IRC. I also live in a very very small town, they had no idea and said I could not get them, that is until I had a sit down with the post master and TOLD him he COULD get them and to do it or I would call the post master general and find out why I could buy them anywhere but at his branch, I had them the following week. Also, if you are looking for awards get hooked up with LOTW.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast