ad: UR5CDX-1

Route 66 On The Air - Highway to a DX Party

Discussion in 'Contests, DXpeditions, QSO Parties, Special Events' started by G4TUT/SK2022, Sep 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. G4TUT/SK2022

G4TUT/SK2022 Ham Member QRZ Page

Route 66 On The Air -
    Highway to a DX Party

The Citrus Belt Amateur Radio Club of San Bernardino, California, will host (probably one of the most fun special event activities) the 9th annual 'Route 66 On The Air' special event between September 13-21st.

The purpose of this event is to offer amateur radio operators a fun way to 'Relive the Ride' of their own memories of Route 66, and to celebrate the highway's 82nd anniversary.

The U.S. Highway 66 established in 1926, was the first major improved highway to link the west coast with the nations heartland. Through stories, songs, and TV shows, the highway came to symbolize the spirit of the freedom of the open road, inspiring many to see America.

Look for the following 19 stations (two are rovers) operating in or around the major cities along the old 'Route 66' from Santa Monica, California, to Chicago, Illinois:

Stations / City / Club
    W6A - Santa Monica, CA - Westside Amateur Radio Club
    W6B - Los Angeles, CA - Westside Amateur Radio Club
    W6C - San Bernardino, CA - Citrus Belt Amateur Radio Club
    W6D - Victorville, CA - Victor Valley Amateur Radio Club
    W6E - Barstow, CA - Barstow Amateur Radio Club
    W6F - Kingman, AZ - Hualapai Amateur Radio Club
    W6G - Flagstaff, AZ - Northern Arizona DX Association
    W6H - Albuquerque, NM - New Mexico Amateur Radio Alliance
    W6I - Amarillo, TX - Chapter 141, QCWA
    W6J - Elk City, OK - Western Oklahoma Amateur Radio Club
    W6K - Oklahoma City, OK - No Club Affiliation
    W6L - Tulsa, OK - Tulsa Amateur Radio Club
    W6M - Riverton, KS - Wichita Amateur Radio Club
    W6N - Joplin, MO - Joplin Amateur Radio Club
    W6O - Lebanon, MO - Lebanon Amateur Radio Club
    W6P - St. Louis, MO - St. Louis Amateur Radio Club
    W6Q - Chicago, IL - Six Meter Club of Chicago

ROVER STATIONS
    W6R - Goleta, CA - Santa Barbara Amateur Radio Club
    W6S - Santa Barbara, CA - No Club Affiliation

Special event stations are expected to be found in the vicinity of the following frequencies. (Look for digital modes in the standard band segments for such mode) All frequencies +/- QRM:

CW- 3533, 7033, 10110, 14033, 18080, 21033, 24900, 28033 and 50033 kHz
    SSB - 3866, 7266, 14266, 18164, 21366, 24966, 28466 and 50166 kHz

R66 MOBILE Operations - Any amateurs operating while actually driving along Route 66 during the special event period are encouraged to take part in "Route 66 On The Air", by using the designation"mobile 66" for SSB or "/m66" for CW after their callsigns. All other amateur radio operators are welcome to contact these mobile operators.

REPEATERS - Some of the participating clubs will also be operating this event from their local VHF/UHF repeaters. Check the ARRL repeater guide for possible repeater frequencies, if your in the local area.

Each participating club will issue their own QSL card commemorating this event. QSL information is available on the Web at: http://www.w6jbt.org/Route_ota/General_Pages/QSLRoute.htm

For more details about the event and the certificate that is available, please visit the 'Route 66 OTA Site' at:
    http://www.w6jbt.org/Route_ota/Index.htm

Don't wait all week for the news!
    Amateur Radio News - updated daily - 365 days per year

[​IMG] Southgate News RSS Feed

Get our News Headlines for your Website:
    http://www.southgatearc.org/rss/index.htm

Send Us Your News Items:
    http://www.southgatearc.org/news/your_news.htm

2. K0EX

K0EX Ham Member QRZ Page

Great that it's time for this event again! Thanks to those participating with each special-event station... I'm sure it's a burden to them ;^) . -Mark K0EX

3. WY3X

WY3X Ham Member QRZ Page

Route 66 stations

I worked a bunch of them last year, and look forward to hearing them on the air again this year! I drove Route 66 a few years ago (although not from start to finish), and stayed in the "Route 66" hotel, although the name of the city where it was located escapes me now. If you haven't driven it, you owe it to yourself to see the U.S. as it was meant to be! Friendly folks, quaint towns, real personality! Where I live -used- to be like that until the high rises came in and took over. -KR4WM

4. WW5L

WW5L Guest

Route 66

Fellow Route 66 participants:

I'm writing a story on the Route 66 OTA event for Route 66 Magazine to appear in its Spring issue in 2009. If you have any unusual stories, anecdotes from the event relay them to me if you'd like. I don't work for Route 66 Magazine, just a retired Texas newspaper reporter doing a story on the event. My XYL Cheryl (WY5H) and I will be driving Route 66 from either Tulsa OK or Joplin MO to either Amarillo TX or Albuquerque NM (just depends on how much time we spend stopping along the way) so if you hear us give us a call. We will have an interesting QSL card. QSL via our qrz.com address.
    73 de Tom, WW5L (andersonww5l at sbcglobal dot net)

5. W9MAV

W9MAV Ham Member QRZ Page

I only know one member of the 6m club of Chicago. He is the nicest guy in the world. But to the point I think this will be fun!

6. W4ROT

W4ROT Ham Member QRZ Page

This is a good one for me.
    I ran across a station a few years back and got to chat with Martin Milner!
    Of course,like a dork, I kept bringing up Adam-12.
    Oh well.
    Nice peoples.
    Have fun.
    rot

7. N9AMI

N9AMI Ham Member QRZ Page

Fun

I love Route 66 I am planning a motorcycle vacation to ride it back east catching it in AZ to Chicago! Good Special Event.

8. KD6WAG

KD6WAG Guest

He's my "T.V." childhood hero! I loved Adam-12! It's even one of my Avatar's on another website! View attachment 19727

I sure wish I could get a vanity callsign that read: "1A12"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.