ad: l-assoc
ad: l-innov
ad: l-tentec
ad: l-WarrenG
ad: l-Waters
ad: l-rl
ad: l-gcopper

Default Antron 99

How do I convert or tune my antron 99 for 10 meter?

well sum people will say cut the stinger at the top , dont do that you have tuning rings on the antenna and you can turn them and get it flat on 10 meters but what i recamend is leave the rigs in the middle and if you have a half way decent tuner it will tune on 10 meters as well as 12 15 and 17 .
    ok anteaan i use one for a local net on 10 meters they work really good on 17 ground monted at lease mine does . the tuner in my pro tunes it to 10 - 17
    no problem and my mfj 969 tunes it no prob as well too

Any of these 2 methods will work.

1. Take tuning rings and twist them together all the way to the top of the tuning section.

2. Get an antenna tuner.

I don't think the SWR will be high enough to hurt you any on 10 meters to begin with.
    Brad K5AR

Quote Originally Posted by NV5H View Post
    Any of these 2 methods will work.

1. Take tuning rings and twist them together all the way to the top of the tuning section.

2. Get an antenna tuner.

I don't think the SWR will be high enough to hurt you any on 10 meters to begin with.
    Yep that works.
    73 de KB3LAZ

In lieu of achievement we have mediocrity.

I own one of these... in the 90's they were all the rage for cb base stations... (nowadays there is a better model) The tuning rings is what I would use...

On field day I mounted one to the back of my truck and worked 10m local (down to seattle from my 2200' alt.) and dx with it.

Also used an autotuner and got it tuned on 20m although 20m was a mess on field day.

The tuning rings usually will give you 12-10m. If not, the match will not be high probably. I have heard of a few people using these on 10m FM up at the top.

If you can't get the swr down to 1:2.0 or less with the ring then use a tuner but i've never seen that happen...
    Ladies love outlaws!!! - Waylon Jennings

So let it be written.... So let it be done!!!

"Out of the eater came something to eat.... Out of the strong came something sweet." - Samson

If you have a tuner just leave it the way it is out of the box.... I use one and it is a good performer from 10M down to 17M.......
    get a signal.......

Default A-99

If you want a 10 meter only antenna, use the cutting chart and measure it twice before you cut it down. I did this with one of those and it was great....for 10 meters only. Sold it to another ham.

Got another and left it as it came out of the box. Never messed with the rings at all. On 10 meters it is about 1.2:1 by passing the tuner. This is from what was the old Novice band portion of 10 meters. Lots of activity in that area so I saw no reason to adjust the antenna. For 12 and 15 meters the tuner comes in quite handy. I cannot really give much report on 17 meters as I have only used it a time or two on that band.

Some say the A-99 will work on 20 meters. It might but I think a wire would be better. Some think this antenna is junk and others praise it highly. For me it is pretty ok for the money.

AE5RC

Default Anttron 99 Antenna

I have the Solarcon A99 antenna. It is mounted to a 13 foot section of top rail for chain link fence and U-bolted to a line post with the tip at about 30 feet above ground. As earlier posted, the tuning rings should be positioned at the top of the tuning section. It will work very well for 10, 12, 15, and 17 meters. I have also made contacts on 40 meters with this antenna. No luck on 20 meters however. My Kenwood TS-450SAT internal tuner won't tune it on 20. I have made many contacts stateside and DX locations as well. For the money the A99 is the best value on the market today. Good luck.

de Bob
    N7SGM

Default A-99 antenna

DON'T CUT IT........ I've used an Antron 99 for the past five years for a ten meter propagation beacon...... and when I monitor the 15,12 & 10 meter bands I also use the antenna....The rings are the only adjustment necessary.....
    73 Bill WJ5O/BCN 28.289 MHz

I actually find all of this most encouraging...... I only passed my foundation test on Monday (novice licence) but I'm very limited for space for any type of antenna because my back yard is only 15' x15'. I have a Solarcon A99 mounted on a 24' set of interlocking poles which I was using on
    FM CB radio.... So I'm reluctant to take it down after having spent time and money to get it there in the first place. It would be great if I could use it on 20 metres as well as10/11/12/15 because it could solve the following problems for me !

1)I cant replace this antenna with a longer ham antenna because that would make it illegal for cb radio use( cb antenna must be vertical and cant exceed 5/8 wave)

2)dont have enough space for a g5rv or long wire even if i bend it into differnt shapes inverted v sloping etc

3)I did try building a small wire dipole for 20 but again space /location is an issue .If I loft mounted it would work quite well but I would need a lot of feeder and I think that might also increse the chance of interference.

so back to the A99 can anyone tell me if it might definately work on 20 for reasonable distance or am I litterally flogging a dead horse here........ perhaps I should just go mobile .. any advice would be appreciated best wishes to all of you on the forum 73 adrian M6AMR

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast