ad: l-rl
ad: l-tentec
ad: l-innov
ad: l-WarrenG
ad: l-Waters
ad: l-gcopper

Question Mic Wiring Codes Badly Needed for Kenwood MC-50 Microphone

Hello Gents,

I am looking to find out which wire is which for a Kenwood MC-50 Desk Microphone. I have found schematics online, which could be helpful but in all reality I really need to find out which color is which. I have removed the 4-pin plug and found 4 wires: a shield, Red, Violet, and another one I cannot remember the color of at this time (yellow?)....I needed to find out which is PTT, transmit, audio, receive, etc..This would be of great value to me as I am looking to wire this up to a Non-Kenwood radio, and I have heard from several hams that these mics work well and are a budget version of the MD-1's that go for 100$+. I got mine for 30$....Any assistance would be greatly appreciated, thank you for your kindness....
    73 and Best Wishes,

W9ASS

(28.4 USB most evenings)

A Human Work of Art In Progress!

I'll post the info when I get a look at the schematics...but..if you have the mic readily available you may want to remove the bottom of the unit and have a look at the wiring.
    The AR15/M16 - Irritating practically everyone since 1960...

I've posted this several times this past week.

http://www.qsl.net/g4wpw/date.html

Normally the G4WPW site is very good, but it does NOT have a color code, which is what I need.
    73 and Best Wishes,

W9ASS

(28.4 USB most evenings)

Default MC-50 microphone

Quote Originally Posted by w9ass View Post
    Hello Gents,

I am looking to find out which wire is which for a Kenwood MC-50 Desk Microphone. I have found schematics online, which could be helpful but in all reality I really need to find out which color is which. I have removed the 4-pin plug and found 4 wires: a shield, Red, Violet, and another one I cannot remember the color of at this time (yellow?)....I needed to find out which is PTT, transmit, audio, receive, etc..This would be of great value to me as I am looking to wire this up to a Non-Kenwood radio, and I have heard from several hams that these mics work well and are a budget version of the MD-1's that go for 100$+. I got mine for 30$....Any assistance would be greatly appreciated, thank you for your kindness....
    Post valid e mail address please or do a google search on MC-50.

Normally the G4WPW site is very good, but it does NOT have a color code, which is what I need.
    You will find that the Japanese manufacturers have not been consistent in wire colors -- SO -- that approach is NOT 100% valid. How many times I have posted this comment?

I think it is about time you learn how to use a DVM or VOM -- to answer that question,
    instead of just ordering up you room service questions here at QRZ Q&A.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated, thank you for your kindness....
    LEARN HOW TO FISH
    "Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish and he will eat for a lifetime."
    Chinese Proverb

A Focus on Self-Sufficiency -- and not welfare
    http://www.teachamantofish.org.uk/

w9gb
    Last edited by W9GB; 08-11-2008 at 08:23 PM.

Agreed Greg, which is why I posted the G4 site. A DVM indeed would solve the issue.

Or, as was suggested, google it. The MC-50.pdf has the color code, but as Greg suggested, they are not always the same.

Hello Gents,

I am looking to find out which wire is which for a Kenwood MC-50 Desk Microphone. I have found schematics online, which could be helpful but in all reality I really need to find out which color is which. I have removed the 4-pin plug and found 4 wires: a shield, Red, Violet, and another one I cannot remember the color of at this time (yellow?)....I needed to find out which is PTT, transmit, audio, receive, etc..

There is a lesson to be learned here. Over time mic cables become worn out and get replaced. The wire color as it relates to pin out can get changed in the process, so "standard color code" goes out the window. The procedure I use when rewiring a microphone to be used on another radio is to determine which radio the mic is presently wired for. Sometimes an easy task, some time difficult.. Using the pin out for that radio, I determine which color wire is used for what circuit.. I make note of that and THEN I remove the plug.

Here's a bit of information that will help you figure it out.. The audio lead (mic +) is usually the one that has the shield around it. This wire is usually white. That covers 1/2 of the wires in your mic. The 2 remaining wires are most probably the PTT control wires.. One of those could be a ground and the other is the PTT... My guess is (and that's just a GUESS) the shield and gnd were connected to the same terminal on the mic plug you removed, leaving one terminal unused..

KM5FL

KM5FL,

Thank you for the info, as well as the the previous posters. I have but 3 wires to utilise, and one wire is not attached. In a Yaesu 700 series/FT-ONE, I find that I only need 3 wires, to be connected to pins 6, 7 and 8. True, colors do change per radio and microphone, maybe this wasn't the best determining factor?

I have since found the pinout correctly, and a plug will be on momentarily. Thanks.
    73 and Best Wishes,

W9ASS

(28.4 USB most evenings)

KM5FL,

Thank you for the info, as well as the the previous posters. I have but 3 wires to utilise, and one wire is not attached. In a Yaesu 700 series/FT-ONE, I find that I only need 3 wires, to be connected to pins 6, 7 and 8. True, colors do change per radio and microphone, maybe this wasn't the best determining factor?

I have since found the pinout correctly, and a plug will be on momentarily. Thanks.
    In addition to the above information, once you determine the mic is working properly, keep a permanent copy of the way you wire the plug for future reference. It will save the trouble of asking again in a few years if you again change radios or want to use the mic on a radio other than an Yaesu. (HINT: You may be able to tape a note or diagram to the INSIDE of the mic base, so you won't lose the information,

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast