Callsign
ad: dxeng
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Inverted V for 10 and 20 meters?

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-assoc
ad: l-innov
ad: l-rl
ad: l-WarrenG
ad: l-tentec
ad: l-Waters
ad: l-gcopper

Default Inverted V for 10 and 20 meters?

Hello all. One last question as do not want to wear our my welcome and buying a antenna book will only be waste on me as I not planning on doing any more than 10 and possible 20 meters after I get a license upgrade. (NEVER SAY NEVER?)

What are the merits of installing a full wave 10 meter Inverted V dipole and using it is a halve wave 20 meter down the road?

Thanks again!!!

Ed
    [FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica][SIZE=2]The QSL card has a 1929 Ford Model A Sedan with a 302 Ford motor running on [B][COLOR=green]Ethanol[/COLOR] [/B]!! [/SIZE][/FONT]
    [COLOR=blue]Just having fun building, fixing, tuning and chatting on HF....and trying not to be a Lid...[/COLOR] :rolleyes:
    When I think of [B][COLOR=darkgreen]Hybrids[/COLOR][/B], I think [B][COLOR=darkgreen]Radios!!![/COLOR][/B][SIZE=3][COLOR=blue] [FONT=Times New Roman]Member S.P.A.R.[/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by kd4pfd View Post
    Hello all. One last question as do not want to wear our my welcome and buying a antenna book will only be waste on me as I not planning on doing any more than 10 and possible 20 meters after I get a license upgrade. (NEVER SAY NEVER?)

What are the merits of installing a full wave 10 meter Inverted V dipole and using it is a halve wave 20 meter down the road?

Thanks again!!!

Ed
    Without a tuner it WILL act as an inverted V on 20 meters, and won't work very well on 10. You might consider feeding dipoles on both 10 and 20 metrs with the same feedline.

A full wave 10m inverted "V" (assuming you mean 1/2 wavelength on each side of the feedpoint) will present a VERY high impedance at the feedpoint. It will NOT work very well with a coaxial cable feeder.

On the other hand, it will work reasonably well on 20m as it will then be a 1/2 wave dipole. (1/4 wavelength each side of the feedpoint)

Don't poo-poo operation on the other bands (with the necessary upgrade of course) 30 & 40 are GREAT bands. 30 for CW and the digital modes and 40, well, all the modes are VERY viable there.

One solution, make your dipole (or doublet as it is also known) 44' per side.
    Feed it in the middle with a balanced feeder (300, 450 or 600 ohm open line)
    Using a tuner (with an internal or external balun) you should be able to find a
    tuning "Sweet Spot" for all the bands from 10 down to at least 40, and perhaps 80m as well.

By the way, the antenna book IS valuable investment.
    A little study goes a LONG WAY !!!
    Politicians...Round em up...Drown them all and start over !

Thanks for the quick response.

I would NEVER poo poo any other Band. I just am very limited on the antennas I can have here. I would love to run 40 and 80 (and hope to someday)....but the local subdivision police make it difficult to put up any decent antennas.

I will put up a 1/2 wave 10 meter for now. It will keep me happy until I can get my General license.

Thanks!!!

Ed
    Last edited by kd4pfd; 08-08-2008 at 11:43 PM.
    [FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica][SIZE=2]The QSL card has a 1929 Ford Model A Sedan with a 302 Ford motor running on [B][COLOR=green]Ethanol[/COLOR] [/B]!! [/SIZE][/FONT]
    [COLOR=blue]Just having fun building, fixing, tuning and chatting on HF....and trying not to be a Lid...[/COLOR] :rolleyes:
    When I think of [B][COLOR=darkgreen]Hybrids[/COLOR][/B], I think [B][COLOR=darkgreen]Radios!!![/COLOR][/B][SIZE=3][COLOR=blue] [FONT=Times New Roman]Member S.P.A.R.[/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE]

Thanks for the quick response.

I would NEVER poo poo any other Band. I just am very limited on the antennas I can have here. I would love to run 40 and 80 (and hope to someday)....but the local subdivision police make it difficult to put up any decent antennas.

I will put up a 1/2 wave 10 meter for now. It will keep me happy until I can get my General license.

Thanks!!!

Ed
    You may want to think about a Hustler 5BTV ground mounted with some radials in the ground. If you paint it black most people won't even see it. I have a very small yard in the city and it works good. It will never replace a tower and a good set of beams but I'm having fun. This way you have some other bands to try out.

73 Phil

Thanks for the idea Phil!

Ed

Smile check Your 10 meter antenna

Ed,
    I just noticed that Your location is the same as a 24/7 propagation beacon on 10 meters...... Check for KG4GVV beacon on 28.2754 MHz......

OK here is how I operate within the confines of HOA...... I have a ground mounted 4 BTV (4 band trap Vertical) by Hustler painted with camouflage paint to match the pine trees...... as mentioned above it's not a competitor for a tower & beam antenna but it does perform well enough to keep me busy.

Don't forget to tune through the 10 meter beacon band ..... propagation beacons are the best "real time" indicators of band openings.
    73 Bill WJ5O/BCN 28.289 MHz

Thanks Bill.

I hope to be up and running again this weekend. I have everything built and ready for the morning adventure on the roof.

Ed

A 1/2WL 20m dipole fed with 450 ohm ladder-line will work well on all bands 20m-6m. If you vary the length of the ladder-line it will work well even without a tuner. For instance, feed it with a multiple of 1/2WL on 20m and an odd multiple of 1/4WL on 10m (at a current maximum point).

I have a 20m rotatable dipole. By varying the length of the ladder-line, it works well on 20m-6m without a tuner.
    73, Cecil, www.w5dxp.com
    Can CO2 emissions save us from the coming ice age?

For what it's worth, and I haven't read all the posts.

I run under 100w with an inverted V and have, with a manual and auto tuner worked all bands on phone. I've used the same piece of wire for sstv and rtty.

I used a 'Cobra Ultralight', but any tunable piece of wire should get you started. No need to compromise any band really, if you can do 10, why not 160? I am blessed with some tall trees and a little chunk of land, even the xyl can't tell I have the antenna! (trying to convince her towers and beams are pretty)

Just get it up as safe, stable and high as you can, properly ground the equipment, and create a matching balance from tx to ant. You'll have plenty of fun, even if cycle 24 is still hiding.

Have fun, any questions feel free to pm or post.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast