ad: l-rl
ad: l-WarrenG
ad: l-tentec
ad: l-innov
ad: l-sarc
ad: l-Waters
ad: l-gcopper

Default Yaesu ft-817 vs ft-817nd?

Sorry if this gets old but I have been looking for info on the difference between the old and new version of this rig. I have searched posts for the past two hours and got frustrated so I thought you guys might help. I saw a post somewhere a while back that said the nd version was not able to receive weather radio and I was trying to confirm that as well as find out what other differences there where between the two.

Thanks, KI4HSK

The ND also has higher capacity NiMH cells instead of NiCads, and the charge rate has been increased to accommodate this.

I also got the impression from the FT-817 Yahoo forum that the ND was not as prone to the mysterious blown finals problem.
    Julian, G4ILO
    [url=http://www.g4ilo.com/]G4ILO's Shack[/url] [url=http://www.g4ilo.com/blog.html]G4ILO's Blog[/url] [url=http://www.ham-directory.com/]Ham Directory[/url] [url=http://www.wota.org.uk/]Wainwrights On The Air[/url]

I thought the 817 could be "Modded" to do 60M!
    I love my cats!
    PHOEBE and PENELOPE MEW!

Thanks for the info. I am looking at purchasing an 817 sometime in the near the end of August and since I was going to looking for a used one I wanted to get as much info as I could. Is there a work around for the NOAA weather band problem?

Thanks KI4HSK

Quote Originally Posted by ki4hsk View Post
    Thanks for the info. I am looking at purchasing an 817 sometime in the near the end of August and since I was going to looking for a used one I wanted to get as much info as I could. Is there a work around for the NOAA weather band problem?

Thanks KI4HSK
    Doesn't the '817 have general coverage recieve? Just look up the
    NOAA frequencies and tune there.

Ah, here they are:
    http://www.nws.noaa.gov/nwr/nwrbro.htm#nwrstations

Roger

Quote Originally Posted by KC0ZJZ View Post
    Doesn't the '817 have general coverage recieve? Just look up the NOAA frequencies and tune there.
    The manual for the FT-817nd specifies receive capability only in the following ranges:

100 kHz-30 MHz
    50 MHz-54 MHz
    76 MHz-108 MHz (WFM only)
    108 MHz-154 MHz
    144 MHz-148 MHz
    420 MHz-450 MHz

These may be the ranges in which the performance specs are guaranteed. It might be possible to receive outside of these ranges.

I'm not at home right now so I can't verify this on my FT-817nd but I'll give it a try when I get home later and report back.
    Fred

UPDATE:

I tried to tune my FT-817nd to the NWS frequencies manually; no go - won't tune that range. I tried keyboard entry through the TRX Manager program; still no go.

So, it looks like, if you want to tune in the NWS, you need another receiver. The FT-817nd won't do it here.
    Fred

I hope original poster wont mind me posting a question here about the 817

Is there anything on the radio that destinguishes an ft-817nd from the earlier 817 version, i.e if i purchased an ND version of ebay how would i know it's the ND and not the earlier version if it does no have it's original box and paperwork.

Adrian

Default ND designation

The ND version does not say "ND" on the radio, but does say it on the box. As far as the radio goes the ND version has the 60 meter freqs loaded into the radios memory and the display backlight has three available colour choices. There may be more differences, but those two are the easiest to spot. cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by KG6BRG View Post
    The ND version does not say "ND" on the radio, but does say it on the box. As far as the radio goes the ND version has the 60 meter freqs loaded into the radios memory and the display backlight has three available colour choices. There may be more differences, but those two are the easiest to spot. cheers.
    Thanks for that info, mine is the ND version then i have the choice of 3 screen colours

Adrian

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast