ad: l-sarc
ad: l-Waters
ad: l-rl
ad: l-tentec
ad: l-WarrenG
ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-innov

Default G5RV or Carolina Windom?

I would like hams who have had both G5RV's and Carolina Windoms to give me feedback about which one was better over all or which antenna does one particular thing better than the other.

kg6zan <<johnorzel@yahoo.com>>

Simple,,,Go for the Windom
    Sometimes I wonder whether
    the world is being run by smart
    people who are putting us on
    or by imbeciles who really
    mean it.

Default I have a "new" Carolina Windom

I was given a Radioworks "Carolina Windom" which was set-up for 40 meters.

I added the correct measurements of copper strand, 50ft on one side and 83ft. on the other side of the balun which makes it right on 80 meters..
    http://www.radioworks.com/ccw80.html

Here is the weird thing... after I replaced the 10 ft. radiator with the correct 22ft length of coax, it would tune fine on 80, and parts of 40.. but beyond that it was not as friendly... So just for fun, I put the 10ft. section back up between the balun and choke. Well here is what I found...
    It will work 160 .. not great, but 80,60,40,20,10 all ttune right up in just a second or so and most amazingly 2 meters ! I run an old TS940Sat and the tuner is slow at times.. but I get great reports, when I put up my 100ft. tower a couple weeks back, all I used was my Windom.. all bands .. and 2 meters was kicking.. worked some 150 miles out on 2 !

All in all.. I am very happy with my free windom ! With my experience at field day with a G5RV, I'll prob never buy one of those... Try a windom.
    Ed
    [FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Ed Mulvaney[/FONT]
    [email]N4EDX@hotmail.com[/email]
    [URL="http://WWW.N4EDX.COM"]http://WWW.N4EDX.COM[/URL]
    [FONT="Comic Sans MS"][B]"In the war of wits.. most people come un-armed!"
    [/B][/FONT]

I was not going to respond to this thread because I had not actually 'used' both types of antenna. But thought perhaps my experience in choosing would help.

I was looking into which of these antennas I wanted to build for field day last year. I finally decided on the 80m windom because of a web page that contained a side-by-side comparison of the SWR and complex impedances of the two.

Sadly, I cannot find that page now. Perhaps Cebik?

But essentially, the windom's SWR stayed below 3:1 on all bands from 80 thru 10. Where as the G5RV was as high as 20:1 on some bands.

I was very pleased with the results, and this antenna is now one of my favorites. My setup is a bit shorter than recommended, only getting 28ft off the ground at both ends, but it tunes up very well, and was very easy on my autotuner from 80 thru 6m. I have not yet tried tying the ground and shield together for 160 yet.
    [LEFT][FONT=Tahoma][COLOR=black]"Ham Radio does not abide by the [B][COLOR=darkgreen]'Right Tool for the Job'[/COLOR][/B] rule. Quite the contrary.[/COLOR][/FONT][/LEFT]
    [LEFT][FONT=Tahoma][COLOR=black]It often gets the job done with things you wouldnt normally recognize as tools."[/COLOR][/FONT][/LEFT]

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by ac0gr View Post
    But essentially, the windom's SWR stayed below 3:1 on all bands from 80 thru 10. Where as the G5RV was as high as 20:1 on some bands.
    I'm not surprised with the SWR of the G5RV. It's designed to be used with a tuner and being fed with twinlead, will give decent results with little loss in the feedline, something you can't do with a coax fed dipole.

I have an OCF dipole, but the SWR sucks on all bands. I'm sure it's because the antenna is held up in the center with a 20 foot metal mast on the roof and it's not too far from the roof. From what I hear, the OCF dipoles need to be very clear of anything remotely representing possible interference with the RF. I will soon have one end up on my tower and FAR AWAY from the currently interfering stuff, so I'll be interested how it performs then.

Both antennas need to be kept clear of objects, especially the feedline of the G5RV. While it makes sense for ALL antennas to be kept clear, my experience with standard dipoles fed with coax is they are much less susceptible to nearby objects and work VERY well as long as you're in the 2:1 SWR bandwith.
    ex-W4DFW Ham since 1970. ARRL Life Member and Volunteer Counsel

Have never used a G5RV, but am very happy with my OCF dipole. That's almost a Windom, right?

I noticed that so far you have received no responses from anyone who has A/B tested these two antennas. I'm not surprised. Even if someone did that, it would be an extremely difficult evaluation since the antennas have different patterns. It is most likely that any station you listen to will be better on one antenna than the other, and when you change to a station in a different location, the results will probably also change. Any answer you get will most likely favor the antenna that has a maximum lobe pointed toward the location with the most hams.

Seems to me that a much better evaluation could be made from a NEC analysis of the two antennas.

You should be able to get some experimental data on RFI problems associated with these two antennas, especially when using high power. I have heard many accounts of RFI problems with off-center-fed antennas when using high power.

Jerry, K4SAV

No RFI in the town, running 1200 watts from 160 to 10 on an Fritzel FD-4 with AMA 83 balun, nor my homebrew OCF with 1:6 and 1:1 balun, used here on Jota/Joti, holliday etc, both lengthened with an 190 micro Henry coil and 30 feet wire on the short side for 160 meters.

An OCF is easily build so build both and try them out.
    Licensed since 1977

Quote Originally Posted by kg6zan View Post
    I would like hams who have had both G5RV's and Carolina Windoms to give me feedback about which one was better over all or which antenna does one particular thing better than the other.
    I've used both G5RVs and Off-Center-Fed dipoles. They have somewhat different radiation patterns. The main difference is the G5RV doesn't work well on 30m, 17m, 10m and is marginal on 15m. The G5RV is a good antenna for 80m, 40m, 20m, and 12m. If you want to confine operation to those 4 HF bands, I would recommend building (not buying) the G5RV.
    73, Cecil, www.w5dxp.com
    Can CO2 emissions save us from the coming ice age?

I have a G5RV up about 25 ft at highest point,,,, and I live in Central Indiana and have talk to Cuba and Canada off i....SWR wise mine is tune 1.4 : 1 and does a great job....

Good Luck
    73's

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast